Old February 19, 2002, 20:52   #31
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 15:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
giving it a sense of corectness
hurray! i also have the abilities to uncover wonderful units (Armies).

Im unclear on one thing tho. Is it possible to get units that ya don't have the tech for? Like, Tactical nukes? Would be pretty sweet....

Like, im a romantic, and i need a reason for such an occurance. But, even if im an ancient Aztech empire with a nuke waiting to be used... i'll just call it "divine intervention".
Old February 19, 2002, 20:52   #32
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 21:47
Quote:
Originally posted by candidgamera

Why fix this? Its a feature not a bug.
No, it's a cheat.
Old February 19, 2002, 20:53   #33
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 22:47
What can be concidered as a bug is probably that there seem to be the same chance to get any unit, regardless of its spec. I think that the chance should be modified by the cost factor of the unit, that way one can enable all units, and not only get super units.
Old February 19, 2002, 20:56   #34
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Assur
No, it's a cheat.
It is about the same thing as playing any mod at all. You can't compare yourself to others. For turnies however this is no problem, as all huts are removed.

Is it so that you need to have the tech for a unit to be able to get it, or can you get it any way?
Old February 19, 2002, 21:00   #35
TinCow
Chieftain

This really doesn't make an sense... it can't be the same chance to get any of the selected units. This is because horsemen were one of the selected units pre-patch... and as far as I know no one has ever gotten a horseman from a hut. It seems very strange to me that the only units people have uncovered from huts so far are warriors, settlers, and armies... even though they're all meant to have the same probability. Something seems fishy to me.
Old February 19, 2002, 21:08   #36
August Borms
Prince

Mods should make the gameplay harder, and/or less annoying

IMO getting armies from huts makes things a little too easy, but you're right ofcourse, anyone can play how he wants.
Old February 19, 2002, 21:14   #37
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by TinCow
This really doesn't make an sense... it can't be the same chance to get any of the selected units. This is because horsemen were one of the selected units pre-patch... and as far as I know no one has ever gotten a horseman from a hut. It seems very strange to me that the only units people have uncovered from huts so far are warriors, settlers, and armies... even though they're all meant to have the same probability. Something seems fishy to me.
Well, it might be that yuo need to meat the requirements for that unit (ie connect the hut to horses with road to get horsemen. As I said I've not experimanted very mush on what the chances are, but I'm tempted to create a map full of huts, and nuthing but hust, for two civs, me and one AI, and put the AI on a small isle (the game crashes if you try to run it with no AIs) That would make some testing possible. I could se if the terrain had any effect, and also if reources under the hut afected it. (ie create loads of huts with horses under)
Old February 19, 2002, 23:12   #38
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by steelehc
Armies, I don't mind so much. But if barbarians can build nuclear weapons... Damn. Scary.
This friendly Iraqi tribe have given us a skilled ICBM!
Old February 19, 2002, 23:33   #39
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Assur
Mods should make the gameplay harder, and/or less annoying

IMO getting armies from huts makes things a little too easy, but you're right ofcourse, anyone can play how he wants.
Well this will just even things out for those players that like to play peacefully. Before, the only way to get the Heroic Epic etc. was to wage war and get a Leader, so those people who just wanted to build were essentially penalized. Getting Armies from a hut just levels things out for them.
Old February 20, 2002, 05:06   #40
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Well this will just even things out for those players that like to play peacefully. Before, the only way to get the Heroic Epic etc. was to wage war and get a Leader, so those people who just wanted to build were essentially penalized. Getting Armies from a hut just levels things out for them.
But if you ply peacefully, why bother to get the Heroic Epic?
Old February 20, 2002, 05:46   #41
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 20:47

In a word...CULTURE!
It helps to achieve a cultural victory.
Old February 20, 2002, 05:51   #42
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean

In a word...CULTURE!
It helps to achieve a cultural victory.
Yeah, bet think of all the culture you can make if you don't focus on your military.
Old February 20, 2002, 05:51   #43
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
To play peacefully means not to start wars yourself. But somebody might attack you, and armies and the Heroic Epic might be useful though. To keep peace means to prepare for war.
Old February 20, 2002, 05:55   #44
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
To play peacefully means not to start wars yourself. But somebody might attack you, and armies and the Heroic Epic might be useful though. To keep peace means to prepare for war.
But you won't need any offensive units.
Old February 20, 2002, 11:04   #45
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Exactly, and when that happens, having the Heroic Epic gives you a better chance of getting a Leader for building further wonders. You can never avoid war completely, but as it was before, the Militaristic, warmongering civ had a major advantage when it came to getting Leaders. Now with the huts producing Armies, that levels things out a bit more.
Old February 20, 2002, 11:11   #46
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

But you won't need any offensive units.
Of course you do. Just because you're not in the habit of battling every civ in your vicinity every chance you get doesn't mean you don't need offensive units. You have to be prepared in the event that someone declares war on you. "The best defence is a good offence." I try to make sure that my military is at least average compared to the others, if not stronger. You have to do this or the other civs will start to pick on you. But that doesn't mean I have to use them at the slightest provocation.
Old February 20, 2002, 12:09   #47
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Huts defenitely needed improving, warriors and maybe one settler per game was not enough. I used to base much of my civ2 duel strategy on getting all the huts and boxing my opponent in, But now the best units I could get would be warriors? Useless for anything apart from exploring. I hope they keep this (including the armies from huts) the way it is, and don't 'fix' it back to how it used to be. It would be nice to get a good offensive unit from a hut.
Old February 20, 2002, 12:11   #48
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Of course you do. Just because you're not in the habit of battling every civ in your vicinity every chance you get doesn't mean you don't need offensive units. You have to be prepared in the event that someone declares war on you. "The best defence is a good offence." I try to make sure that my military is at least average compared to the others, if not stronger. You have to do this or the other civs will start to pick on you. But that doesn't mean I have to use them at the slightest provocation.
Well, good defensive units, and maybe one or another offensive unit is all you need to protect your cities, borders and important roads. If you want to strike back, that's another thing.
Old February 20, 2002, 12:14   #49
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
Huts defenitely needed improving, warriors and maybe one settler per game was not enough. I used to base much of my civ2 duel strategy on getting all the huts and boxing my opponent in, But now the best units I could get would be warriors? Useless for anything apart from exploring. I hope they keep this (including the armies from huts) the way it is, and don't 'fix' it back to how it used to be. It would be nice to get a good offensive unit from a hut.
Does anyone know if the hut needs to have the resources needed for the units you can get from them?
Old February 20, 2002, 13:27   #50
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
Well they have apparently, but it's easy to put back in the editor. Just highlight Barbarain Chiefdom for any unit you want to have appear in the huts. I haven't heard of any wierd units popping out, no nukes in the Ancient Era etc., so it looks like you still need the proper tech in order to get advanced units.
Old February 20, 2002, 13:30   #51
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Well, good defensive units, and maybe one or another offensive unit is all you need to protect your cities, borders and important roads. If you want to strike back, that's another thing.
Well if you don't strike back, he'll just keep attacking. But if you take out a few cities, he's going to be much more inclined to sign a peace treaty. Like I said, "the best defence is a good offence".