Old December 16, 2000, 22:16   #1
markusf
King

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I am NOT joking people. Me carnide jedi and someone else played today for 6 hours. we got to automobile when we stoped!!!
[This message has been edited by markusf (edited December 17, 2000).]
Old December 17, 2000, 01:38   #2
markusf
King

I just playedReal Time Civ2
quote:

Simultaneous Move in Multiplayer?
I received an interesting email from Tony Toon yesterday. Here it is:

I don't know if this'd qualify as news or not but.. I got Test of Time today at Wal-Mart, and was playing it with a friend, when we quickly got upset that we couldn't play in simultaneous mode like in Civnet. Anyways, I got tinkering about in the .EXE file, and figured out that if you add "Simultaneous=1" to the CIV.INI in your \WINDOWS directory, it allows you to choose the humans move simultaneously option. It seems it was removed from the game officially, but it so far has worked fine. Dunno if it'd work in Civ2MPG or not, but it might, since they look to be based on the same engine. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but if it isn't, just give me credit or whatever. Hope this is helpful.
This is definitly not common knowledge... Give this method a try and let me know whether it works for you or not by posting to the multiplayer forum. Thanks Tony for this potentially important discovery.

I tried this and it works great, the saved game remembers the option. This is excellent because now 6 players can play at once and not take forever. the only problem i found was that when someone droped it took a while to detect it sometimes.
Old December 17, 2000, 01:39   #3
markusf
King

I definately think this feature should be officially included in civ3.....
Old December 17, 2000, 08:47   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Please post cruel Civ2 jokes in the Civ2 forum. Thanks.

But since you managed to save yourself and mention wanting such an option in Civ3, I wonder if anybody else will kick in with an opinion.
[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited December 17, 2000).]
Old December 17, 2000, 12:55   #5
markusf
King

uhm I am not joking, Just go to the civ2 multiplaying forums, the first 10 threads are about playing civ2 and how everyone can move on the same turn now. It was found out over the weekend, and all the 1x 1x players love it because the game is lightening fast.
Old December 18, 2000, 01:03   #6
carnide_
Prince

This is no joke.
I will never play again turn based good old CIV.
Simul CIV rocks. And you just have to add "Simultaneous=1" at the bottom of your CIV.INI file located in your C:\WINDOWS folder.
Check this out: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/001951.html?6
or this one: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/001945.html?25
or this: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/001947.html?16

Good Civing

Old December 18, 2000, 16:01   #7
markusf
King

Here is John's reply from the TOT forum. He worked on TOT

quote:

How did you guys find that? No, wait--I don't want to know.
There were a few things that got left in--or left out, depending on how you look at it. What happened was that as we went along, merrily working on the game, Spectrum and then Hasbro management (remember, development of this game spanned the Hasbro buy-out) fiddled with the schedule many, many times. One result of this was that features we once planned to finish had to be cut. Some were close to done, but not quite (and they hadn't been tested), while some were just started. Rather than go through and remove all the code, the programmers (on the off chance that maybe we could reanimate a feature or two) just deactivated it. (Don't ask me for details; I'm not a programmer.)

The simultaneous human movement thing was actually a leftover from the Multiplayer Gold Edition. The team put it in and it seemed to work, but in testing we found that it caused major game play problems, including opportunities for blatant cheating. So, we nixed it in the shipping version, but the code, like a trick knee, remained in place waiting to cause trouble. We developed ToT based on a version of the MGE code-base--thus the legacy simultaneous human turns code.