Old February 24, 2002, 20:18   #31
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
55) When you fall and hurt your knee, you start to wonder why it hasn't healed at all although you've waited for at least 10 turns...
Old February 24, 2002, 20:24   #32
name
Settler

Local Time: 15:50
You have to be in a base for your knee to heal.
Old February 24, 2002, 20:29   #33
Anodyne
Prince

Yeah, I just assumed that base would be more than 10 moves away

56) You avoid walking through areas with red plants, claiming that it's "so damn slow, and remember those mindworms around..."
Old February 25, 2002, 03:32   #34
Shai-Hulud
Prince

57) You post into "You know you've been playing too much SMAC when..." more than once

58) You actually remember several similar threads in the past which you've all read with enthusiasm

59) You start living in turns instead of real-time

60) You won't dare to go out before you've learned to do Empath Song right
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old February 25, 2002, 05:02   #35
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 21:50
61. You wonder why they don't "repeal the UN charter" for the remainder of the war and use nerve gas...

62. You refer to leading millions of people in a struggle against oppressors a "social experiment".

63. You stick your hand into the university's computer to try to "infiltrate datalinks"
Old February 25, 2002, 09:28   #36
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 20:50
You know you've been playing too much SMAC when...
You look over at your pet hamsters after a long playing session and think, "you can hear them in there, you can see them. It is a thing of terrible beauty."
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old February 26, 2002, 18:23   #37
Adalbertus
Prince

65) If you seriously hope that Morgan will pay for the SMAC Movie (see the other thread ...) He ought to have enough money^H^H^H^H^Henergy credits.
Old February 27, 2002, 01:02   #38
Patashu
Warlord

Local Time: 06:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
66)When you go to the pentagon in 2100 and ask why there isn't anyone on Alpha Centuri yet.

67)When you go back in 2600 and ask why the game hasn't ended yet.
Old February 27, 2002, 04:15   #39
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 09:50
68: You start working on a new game, inspired by SMAC.
Old February 27, 2002, 04:21   #40
aaglo
King

Local Time: 23:50
69: ( ) And when you enjoy being in the process of making a new game, inspired by Smac.
Old March 2, 2002, 03:02   #41
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 16:50
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
70. In the middle of an intense negotiation, you mumble (with a glint in your eye ), "I find your unwillingness to cooperate disturbing."
Old March 7, 2002, 17:45   #42
VitalyB
Chieftain

That's easy one. When you do stuff like that:

ftp://netdots.myftp.org/Vitaly4.exe

For all the paranoid once:
1) Stay paranoid, it is healthy.
2) This exe is free of trojans/viruses etc. It contains an animated talking face created by CrazyTalk (http://www.reallusion.com/) which exports to exe files.

Oh and the talking face is me, a few years ago.
Old March 7, 2002, 21:22   #43
Shai-Hulud
Prince

71. When you quote Foreman Domai looking absolutely ridiculous

You need help!
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
Old March 9, 2002, 16:50   #44
Atlas3060
Settler

Local Time: 14:50
When your brother is sick, with a cold, and you wanna throw him into the Recycle Tanks.
Old March 10, 2002, 01:15   #45
Lucy In The Sky
Chieftain

73. When you begin to refer to life' losers as drones.
Old March 10, 2002, 04:12   #46
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

21. You think The Bible is written by Velociryx

Hmmm....if there's ever a SMAC2, you KNOW there's gotta be a sequel book...

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 10, 2002, 06:34   #47
VitalyB
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Shai-Hulud
71. When you quote Foreman Domai looking absolutely ridiculous
It is technically not really me looking rediculous, cuz the hair was done in photoshop, the eyes are of CrazyTalk (to make them move) and my mouth sure has some teeth in it .
Old March 18, 2002, 08:45   #48
Shai-Hulud
Prince

74. When you save the "You know you've been playing too much SMAC when..." - thread for later reference.
Old March 25, 2002, 16:38   #49
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 15:50
75. You help design prosmac.

76. You look outside, see the sun, and wonder where the other one is.
Old March 25, 2002, 18:30   #50
Cybergod
Prince

77. When you search for Morgan Bank to try and convert Euros/Dollars into Energy Credits

78. When you start your morning prayer with a "Our Lord Velociryx"

79. When you go out and try to level a mountain to cultivate farms and solar collectors

80. After you finish the "Dream Twister" (plus watch the movie) you cannot sleep for months

81. When you wish your girlfriend looked more like Deidre, Santiago or Aki
Old March 30, 2002, 23:19   #51
Jethro83
Prince

Don't know if anyone will find these funny, but anyway...

When you are looking for a Particle Impactor to take with you as you go past the local church in case the bible-thumpers attending mass pronounce vendetta on you for being a godless democratic/autocratic type, hoping to redeem the souls of your people.

When you flip through TV channels and look through your TV guide expecting the Morganlink 3DVision interview on the Longevity Vaccine to be on.

The next time someone complains about Microsoft being a greedy monopoly you explain to them "They never sought to become a monopoly. Their products were just so good that nobody saw the need to compete with them."

You wire up your computer to the ground and try to upload the entire contents of your hard drive (after collecting encylopedia information on the last 6000 years of human civilization from Encarta) into the 'fragile neural network of the planetmind', explaining to those concerned that you want to start your 'Ascent to Transcendence'.

When over the phone, you start calling people by their name with 'earth' in front of it (ie. Hey earthjohn. How's it going earthjohn? Did you hear about what earthbob did yesterday?)

You blame your insomnia and nightmares on "The Dream Twister".

You wonder why there's no 'golden-age' at the local grammar school, even if the number of high-achieving 'talents' exceed the mediocrity and there are no 'drones' around.

When you go to Scotland, search a local bookshop for "We Must Consent, 101 Sure-fire Pick-up Lines for Lady Dierdre" and then turn up at a nightclub, hoping that she will be there.

You start a search in India for Osama Bin Laden's estranged identical twin brother, hoping that he will help to preserve human rights.

Before enrolling at university, you ask if Prokhor Zakharov is their 'Provost'. Then you ask if they have retroviral capabilities or are researching Retroviral Engineering.

You buy a factory and start looking for genejacks to run it, knowing that the people who complain about you tyrannising them will be remanded to your punishment sphere next-door. Then you look through the phonebook for Sheng-ji Yang, with the intention of calling him to thank him for his 'gift to industry'.

You worry that the foreman of the nearest construction site will start a violent rebellion against the middle and higher classes.

You hire a houseboat, park it out at sea and start searching for your extra mineral gem bonus in the water surrounding it.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 31, 2002, 03:40   #52
Adalbertus
Prince

Quote:
When you are looking for a Particle Impactor to take with you as you go past the local church in case the bible-thumpers attending mass pronounce vendetta on you for being a godless democratic/autocratic type, hoping to redeem the souls of your people.
No that's not funny.
(Grabs his Plasma Steel Armour suit to go to the Easter service).

Quote:
The next time someone complains about Microsoft being a greedy monopoly you explain to them "They never sought to become a monopoly. Their products were just so good that nobody saw the need to compete with them."
Seriously, I thought this were a Gates citation or nearly-citation. Billy Boy playing too much SMAC
Old March 31, 2002, 19:13   #53
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Adalbertus

No that's not funny.
(Grabs his Plasma Steel Armour suit to go to the Easter service).
I guess not. Perhaps a Plasma shard gun and Photon Wall armour suit. Personally, I'd take my tamed boil of mindworms if it were to be true (I know the difference between reality and SMAC thank you).

Quote:
Seriously, I thought this were a Gates citation or nearly-citation. Billy Boy playing too much SMAC
What I was referring to with the one saying "They never sought to become a monopoly. Their products were just so good that nobody saw the need to compete with them." was actually a reference to what Nwabudike Morgan says in the Network Backbone secret project movie:

Quote:
"Of course we'll bundle our MorganNet software with the new network nodes; our customers expect no less of us. We have never sought to become a monopoly. Our products are simply so good that no one feels the need to compete with us."
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 31, 2002, 20:37   #54
Adalbertus
Prince

Quote:
I guess not. Perhaps a Plasma shard gun and Photon Wall armour suit.
Nice of you to think that I'm so far advanced in technology against your particle impactor Actually being in a church gives +2 in Morale. Didn't you know that? Miriam goes terribly wrong in that respect.

Hey, we're in a thread "You know you've been playing too much SMAC when ..."

Quote:
What I was referring to with the one saying "They never sought to become a monopoly. Their products were just so good that nobody saw the need to compete with them." was actually a reference to what Nwabudike Morgan says in the Network Backbone secret project movie:
I know. But I thought exactly this reasoning might be taken from one of the Microsoft apologies about being a monopoly. It's very much their style, anyway.
Old March 31, 2002, 23:48   #55
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
21. You think The Bible is written by Velociryx

Hmmm....if there's ever a SMAC2, you KNOW there's gotta be a sequel book...

-=Vel=-

Now would that be the new new testament?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 1, 2002, 03:56   #56
Sikander
King

Local Time: 13:50
You refer to dancing as "Shakin' Your Nwabudike".