Old December 14, 2000, 17:38   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Max 2 topic-starts per day/person. Vote yes/no
We can post as many topic-responses as we like, but please, cant we, from now on, constrict ourselfes to MAX 1-2 topic-starters per day/person?

Some of us have not english as our native language, which means producing a lengthy post, sometimes takes hours. One half-hour later, 3-4 guys produces 3-4 short topic-starters each, and by that monopolize a large part of the main first page.

Its all about showing a little consideration.
Old December 14, 2000, 17:49   #2
Yog-Sothoth
Prince

I agree, if everyone would think twice before starting a topic, and instead of posting 4-5 short ones they could make one which they put a little more work into, this place would be a lot more enjoyable.

Old December 14, 2000, 18:04   #3
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Local Time: 00:37
I also agree, with me, yes.
Old December 14, 2000, 18:09   #4
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 20:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
sounds good to me. besides you catch alot less hell replying than posting.
Old December 14, 2000, 20:19   #5
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:37
I agree, but think there should be an overseeer of the posts, who removes ones which have already been discussed. Like mine, (apologies)

Old December 14, 2000, 21:28   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

No, this limits creativity.
Old December 14, 2000, 22:49   #7
S. Kroeze
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 12-14-2000 04:38 PM
We can post as many topic-responses as we like, but please, cant we, from now on, constrict ourselfes to MAX 1-2 topic-starters per day/person?

Some of us have not english as our native language, which means producing a lengthy post, sometimes takes hours. One half-hour later, 3-4 guys produces 3-4 short topic-starters each, and by that monopolize a large part of the main first page.

Its all about showing a little consideration.

Dear Newbies,

Welcome all!

I completely agree with Ralfs' proposal. I do not think that his proposed limit of one (or two) new topic(s) a day is unreasonably restrictive. You may depend on it that almost every topic has been discussed many times before; so some repeating of old topics is inevitable indeed nor is it necessarily a bad thing. Yet it is also quite possible to search for an old thread covering a subject you want to make some comments about. It just takes some searching and reading! And I guarantee there are some forgotten gems among those old threads.

It is still possible to make contributions which by other users are considered valuable. I have hardly ever posted a new topic thread myself: only once in this Forum and one thread in the Off-topic Forum, which was deleted within ten minutes! Fortunately such tyrannical behaviour is rather exceptional on this Forum. Yin26 is truly kind and clement.

So please show some consideration and all will be contented. The CivIII Forums were allways the most interesting of Apolyton. Personally I preferred the List Forum and I still regret its demise. But we have had excellent and truly intelligent discussions here too!

I'll make some links to some of my favourite threads:
SE MODELS v3.0 ; this will allways remain my favourite thread
RADICAL IDEAS(ver2.0)
Civil Wars in CivIII
How to portray the rise and fall of great powers in Civ3
New poll: Number of civs
civ3 to include a full set of nationalities
The ultimate ICS thread: analysis and solutions
***TECH TREE***: "Master List"

Best wishes!

S. Kroeze

P.S.:Perhaps DarkCloud could make links to my favourites in his 'related thread'? Thank you!
[This message has been edited by S. Kroeze (edited December 14, 2000).]
Old December 15, 2000, 02:01   #8
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:37
YES, I agree.
Old December 15, 2000, 03:22   #9
Ferdi
Warlord

I totaly agree with you Ralf! I come here every day to see what is new on this forum and I have to say that it is very annoying to be forced to read many flat threads.
We have already covered the entire subject (see the list and forum archives) and it would be very interesting to develop more deeply old or new ideas as you do so well.
I think that Firaxis has already done the groundwork of civ3 so new/old "light ideas" would not bring something very usefull.
Give your favor to quality not quantity!
Old December 15, 2000, 03:54   #10
rremus
Warlord

Definetly NO.
Rude posters than start 10 threads with same subject on a day can be reminded that is a question of netiquette. Maybe a reminder on the Post New Topic page?
But why restrict posters than are 'on fire' and actually have 5 different ideas today?
Dear civers, please remeber that, even in civ, the martial law is an option only under non-democratic governments!

BTW, you should consider that this forum is one the largest here, at Apolyton. Maybe it's time to be split in sub-topics.
[This message has been edited by rremus (edited December 15, 2000).]
Old December 15, 2000, 07:00   #11
Grumbold
Emperor

I'm all for a 'think before you post' motto but can't see a rigid rule being practical. I'd rather have an admin who was prepared to tidy up null threads.
Old December 15, 2000, 11:15   #12
Ralf
King

quote:

Originally posted by rremus on 12-15-2000 02:54 AM
Definetly NO.
Rude posters than start 10 threads with same subject on a day can be reminded that is a question of netiquette.

That isnt MY definitation of "rude posters", rremus. Such behaviour would only be non-logic and absurd. WHY should anyone in their right mind want to start 10 threads on the same subject, on one single day?

quote:

But why restrict posters than are 'on fire' and actually have 5 different ideas today?

Why should posters thats "on fire" feel restricted?

He can post all these 5 short ideas under one or two threads, cant he? My "grief-factor" post, for example, could easily be splitted into 3 topic-starters.
But i choosed instead to post them all under ONE thread instead. Now, if I can do that - why cant you?

Also; he can also choose to spread them out, and instead post some of them, on days then he ISNT "on fire".

Infact, wouldnt that be a far better approach if one really want maximal exposure? If you post 5 different topics on one day - doesnt that means that these 5 topics actually competes with each other in a negative way, over fellow Apolyton-member attention?

quote:

Dear civers, please remeber that, even in civ, the martial law is an option only under non-democratic governments!

Dont you think you overreact a little here All i want with this topic is to appeal to some basic common sence, here. I DONT want censorship either, rremus. Rest assured.
[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited December 15, 2000).]
Old December 15, 2000, 20:49   #13
Tical_2000
Warlord

I'm gonna have to say NO on this one. This forum is suddenly becoming too anti-newbie. If you don't like looking at new, flat threads all the time, wait a couple of days until a discussion gets going, then go in. I personally enjoy reading everyone's ideas no matter how many times they've been discussed or how stupid they are...cough...real-time civ thread...cough.

-The Ticalian Stallion
Old December 15, 2000, 20:54   #14
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Yes, this forum is becoming too anti-newbie.
I agree with you Tical- except you should read the RTS post fully, or at least the second page of it to get the idea,
Old December 16, 2000, 01:42   #15
Ralf
King

quote:

Originally posted by Tical_2000 on 12-15-2000 07:49 PM
This forum is suddenly becoming too anti-newbie. If you don't like looking at new, flat threads all the time, wait a couple of days until a discussion gets going, then go in.

OK - HURRAY for more new flat threads, then!! And, yes - anyone else who dont like this development it is of course "anti-newbie".

And to hell with below argument:

"Some of us have not english as our native language, which means producing a lengthy post, sometimes takes hours. One half-hour later, 3-4 guys produces 3-4 short topic-starters each, and by that monopolize a large part of the main first page.

Its all about showing a little consideration."

What the heck is "anti-newbie" got to do with it? Its just common sense: Didnt you two guys read below?

Also; he can also choose to spread them out, and instead post some of them, on days then he ISNT "on fire".

Infact, wouldnt that be a far better approach if one really want maximal exposure? If you post 5 different topics on one day - doesnt that means that these 5 topics actually competes with each other in a negative way, over fellow Apolyton-member attention?
Old December 16, 2000, 02:48   #16
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:37
S. Kroeze,

Thankfully I've hardly ever had to close or delete posts! But, yes, I try as hard as possible to let things here run a natural course. I get no pleasure from showing I can shut things down.

Ralf and All:

As for this post, I'd like to offer this suggestion: If anybody here feels that a certain person is posting too many new threads in such a way that it detracts from the board, please send me an email:

namk26@hotmail.com

Hopefully I will already have seen the problem and mailed the person in question. Otherwise, I will take your complaint into consideration.

Overall, though, I think we should encourage new people to post. This can be taken to an extreme, however, when one person begins to flood the board. So other than that, let's be friendly and helpful as we wait for the greatest TBS game ever made.

Yin
Old December 18, 2000, 03:55   #17
rremus
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 12-15-2000 10:15 AM
My "grief-factor" post, for example, could easily be splitted into 3 topic-starters.
But i choosed instead to post them all under ONE thread instead. Now, if I can do that - why cant you?

If I wouldn't read this post, I wouldn't know that the 'grief factor' thread has other ideas, Ralf. I don't have time to read all the topics so I must browse the titles to see if is any that is promising to become interesting or is a subject I feel important. That's why I support to let the posters start more than 2 topics. Otherwise, one would have to put a title like 'Some ideas I have about civ' or 'Tech Tree, City size, Units mobility, Map shape, Role of commerce in military and Obsolete wonders'.
Do you think that's OK?
Regards,
Remus
Old December 18, 2000, 04:41   #18
raingoon
Prince

Local Time: 16:37
I think everything would be find if everyone coming to the forums were greeted with the following reminder:

"Those who do not learn from previous posts are doomed to repeat them."
Old December 18, 2000, 08:46   #19
Jeje2
Prince

My vote goes to Yin26.

Let's give the newbies a try of inventing something new.
(Oldies: We can give links to related threads then or then again maybe not.)

Ex. I personally was quite pleased with the newest version of Refugees discussion, altough i didn't bring anything completly new to the topic it locked at it from a little different wiev.
Old December 18, 2000, 17:32   #20
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:37
nah, don't make more rules. Just use common sense people, and if a newbie is posting to much, just send them a PM or E-mail about it

------------------
Civilization Gaming Network Forums
~ The Apolyton Yearbook
~ The poster formerly known as "OrangeSfwr"
Old December 18, 2000, 22:24   #21
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

What the hell, this thread has turned into a question of if newbys should post or not!!! The mure question was if we should start more then 2 threads a day or not, if you have more then 2 ideas in your head, wait till tomorrow to post them. even though many of you may think contrary , I do like to hear what newbys have to say, because new ideas pop up every day.

p.s. dont post a thread unless its got some meaning in it. I hate it when this page gets crowded with peoples stupid, skin-deep threads, when my good, discussing threads gets kicked off the page.