Old December 18, 2000, 17:28   #1
Ferdi
Warlord

Local Time: 02:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Enjoy Civ3 or Civ10?
Since the begining of this week I own the second version of Call to Power and I can say without any doubts that it is a good game. For the story I never played the first version, I come from civ2 and Alpha Centauri.
Well, Call to Power is obviously a big improvement compared to its ancestors but I feel that there is still a big gap (at least for me). CtpII is just an improvement from civII, an easy way to do the same things with the same concepts BUT it doesn't bring a real innovation. CptII looks like civII (far too) and you'll see that its lifetime will be very short because all is already seen. After having tried (ctpII) the same improved diplomatic, economic and military system old frustrations make surface again. Why? may be this game should have to be reinvented? I think so!

I speak about ctpII because it is a good example that civ3 should not pursue. CtpII is a simple spiced improvement! Let they put in civ3 DEEP INNOVATIONS instead of small changes that finally don't change anything. Should we wait for Civ10 before seeing a new civ generation? It seems to be the case specialy when I read the majority of suggestions in this forum. I understand that there are risks to create from scratch but civI wasn't it?
Anyway I am almost sure that if civ3 keeps most of civII concepts then it will be similar to ctpII. A good game but with the same old frustrations... What is your opinion?

Finally, here is a brief question:
Do you prefer keeping old concepts or it'll be better for you to design something completely new while keeping some good old ideas?

Yes, I know this question comes a little bit to late!!
Old December 18, 2000, 18:06   #2
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 16:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I think Civ 2 was just the right distance ahead of Civ 1. I think that Civ 3 should be the same distance ahead and change in the same ways. Where Civ 1 was plain squares and Civ 2 was isometric, Civ 3 should be hexagons or irregular shapes. Or Civ 3 could keep everything Civ 2 changed, and change the things it didn't. SMAC incorporated features from Colonization, Civ 3 should incorporate features from both and maybe other Sid games. My humble opinions.
Old December 19, 2000, 03:50   #3
Ferdi
Warlord

Local Time: 02:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Incorporating some new features doesn't make a new game, among civII and ctpII, SMAC was the most innovative but with too much micromanagment. Adding new units, wonders, new types of government doesn't satisfy me at all.