Old February 20, 2002, 16:52   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Reviving the tradition: Succession Games
A while ago succession games were quite popular for CtP2 but as Civ3's release grew nearer, the tradition died out. I want to revive it again, as it was a very fun tradition, both to participate in and to follow from the sideline.

So, what is a succession game? Let me quote the person who introduced Succession Games to CtP2, Skeeve, for that:

Quote:
Well, from what I gather, it is a single-player game started by one person and played for a pre-determined number of turns before taking the saved game file and passing it on to another. This 2nd player then plays for the same number of turns and passes it on to a 3rd... and so on, repeating through the circle until the game is finished.

At least that seems to be the gist of it.
I guess the fun is seeing what has become of the game when you get it the second time around.
[...]
From what I've observed on the CIV2 boards, as each person receives the file and plays his rounds, he posts a message on the boards to briefly describe his activity. This lets the anticipation build for the other players and gets them excited about their own contribution.
See here for a transcript of the very first Apolyton CtP2 Succession game and here for the second one.

First off all, I want to know how many people might be interested in participating. This sort of game is probably best played with 4-8 players. With more players it would probably take too long before it's your turn again (IIRC this was a complaint during earlier succession games). If there are more people interested, we could set up several games.

I volunteer to host the first (batch of) games (hopefully many more will follow), meaning that once we have enough players, the rules have been determined and the order of play set, I will send an email to all participants with everyone's email and a test game. You should play this test game for a couple of rounds to ensure that it works and then send it on to whoever has been assigned as your successor. Once you get this last file from your predecessor, you should play that for a couple of turns as well; all this is to ensure that there are no incompatibility problems (IIRC this was the case in the past). Email me with the results: if there are problems we can try to resolve those, if I receive mails from all players confirming that there are no problems I will create the actual game, play the first turn (a turn in this context is a turn in the succession cycle, so 10 or 20 or so game turns) and send it to my successor, thus starting the actual succession game.

To participate, simply post in this thread announcing you're interested and also post any preferences you may have as to what type of game it should be: what mods, what mapsize, what civ we should play with, etc (my preferences are below as an example). Eventually all players should also have each other's email addresses since we're going to email savegames to each other. You can either post the email address you wish to use here or, if you wish to keep it confidential, email me that address at some point (but post here as well to say you're interested).

Some basic rules (additions and alterations welcome):
1) You must write at least a basic desciption (nothing fancy) of what you've done before you send the file to the next player and you must include this description in the email you send to your successor (so (s)he doesn't have to visit the forums - this costs more time and due to network problems might at times be impossible). You must also post this description in the forum thread (to be created) but when you do this is up to you (although doing this timely would be appreciated). You can take some extra time to make a nice story of it and add details or whatever, but the crucial info should be available ASAP for whoever plays right after you.
2) You must play your turn and send it to the next player within 48 hours of receiving the file (preferably within 24 but since many of us have a busy personal life this may not always be possible). After 48 hours your predecessor will have to email the file to your successor and you'll have to skip your turn. It would be nice if you somehow notified your predecessor ASAP once you've emailed your file to your successor, either by posting in the forums or by emailing him/her (so that unnecessary wasting of bandwidth and time is prevented). If you announce in advance that you will be out of town or whatever for a few days, you can get 48 hours extra (this shouldn't happen too often though). This rule will prevent long waits for other players and keep the game going.
3) You have the freedom to do anything you want (including changing production of cities and research), as long as you post your actions in the email and on the forum thread. If necessary, you should be ready to defend your decisions (but normally this won't be the case).
4) Let's have fun! IMHO winning ASAP is not too important, as long as we have fun. So it doesn't matter if you're not a die-hard civver and don't make the perfect decisions every time (does such a thing as a perfect decision even exist?). Heck, it would be kind of fun to loose for a change

My preferences (but I'm very flexible):
* Regular Size Random Map (we don't want to drag the game out too long)
* Roman, Greek, Egyptian or Dutch Civ, leadername Apolyton
* setup of v1.11 patch and latest version of Cradle (v1.3)
* 6 opponents on Hard difficulty level with Raging Hordes (let's keep it easy for now)
* default settings for pollution, humidity, etc
* turn length: 20 turns for the first round, 15 for the second and third and 10 turns for every round after that

Last edited by Locutus; February 20, 2002 at 16:58.
Old February 20, 2002, 17:00   #2
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 16:51
Locutus rises to the challenge yet again!

Count me in.

Your preferences sound fine to me, though at present I only have Cradle 1.2. "This can be corrected."

-- Hermann

p.s. So, was my idea of trying the same starting position with different mods totally mad? Has that ever stopped us before??
Old February 20, 2002, 17:19   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
Count me in.
I already had, you own me

Quote:
p.s. So, was my idea of trying the same starting position with different mods totally mad? Has that ever stopped us before??
Hmm, I seemed to have overlooked this suggestion. But I don't think this would be possible, how would you load a different mod once a game is already started?

Last edited by Locutus; February 20, 2002 at 17:26.
Old February 20, 2002, 17:58   #4
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Hmm, I seemed to have overlooked this suggestion. But I don't think this would be possible, how would you load a different mod once a game is already started?
That would only be possible if we would use a premade map. But that would mean to use the scenario structure. We had good reasons not to use the scenario structure. I remember the extra turn bug that ruined my fun. But I have to remark that this bug did not appeared in Craddle 1.1. So you could have luck.

-Martin
Old February 21, 2002, 11:50   #5
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Yes, exactly, a pre-made map like the OCC challenges in Civ2.

I wasn't aware of the extra turn bug. Was that specific to specific mods, or a more generic problem?

BTW, it's just an idea, but it would be interesting to see how different tech trees (etc) shape games that start with the same configuration.

Meanwhile, we (Locutus) may just want to K.I.S.S. for this game! He has enough work!
Old February 22, 2002, 09:56   #6
kaan
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 20:51
im game (so to speak )

my email is klaus@kaan.dk

klaus
Old February 22, 2002, 14:06   #7
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Meanwhile, we (Locutus) may just want to K.I.S.S. for this game! He has enough work!
You got that right! IMHO that would be interesting but not for this particular game. But if others insist on, I'm willing to compromise.

As far as Cradle goes, I have 1.2 installed myself as well, I wouldn't mind playing with that either but we'll need to make sure everyone is using the same set of files. Since at present there is only 1 version of v1.3 that would make things a lot easier.

Kaan,
Great to have you in!

Ben also told me over ICQ he might be interested in participating, if the settings and # of players are to his liking. So, the list of participants so far:

1. Locutus
2. Hermann the Lombard
3. (Immortal Wombat)
4. kaan

Come people, surely there are more Succesion Gamers out there!
Old February 22, 2002, 14:24   #8
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 21:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Ben also told me over ICQ he might be interested in participating, if the settings and # of players are to his liking. So, the list of participants so far:
Yeah, he's just too lazy to post. And really should be working...
Old February 22, 2002, 14:37   #9
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
And really should be working...
Who doesn't?
Old February 23, 2002, 13:52   #10
August Borms
Prince

I'm in, too

My email:
assur_vl@hotmail.com

My only preference is that we play as the Dutch
Old February 23, 2002, 18:37   #11
Locutus
Deity

Great, Assur! In a different thread Dave said he might also be interesting in participating (depending on whether he gets his computer working in time), so I added him as a 'maybe' as well.

1. Locutus
2. Hermann the Lombard
3. (Immortal Wombat)
4. kaan
5. Assur
6. (hexagonian)

We still need more people though... don't be shy, people, we don't bite!
Old February 23, 2002, 20:35   #12
Gazablanca
Chieftain

Ok,I 'd love to play in this game.Consider me signed up!!!!
Old February 24, 2002, 15:57   #13
Locutus
Deity

edit: dp
Old February 24, 2002, 16:00   #14
Locutus
Deity

Great Gazablanca, welcome to the team!

1. Locutus
2. Hermann the Lombard
3. (Immortal Wombat)
4. kaan
5. Assur
6. (hexagonian)
7. Gazablanca

More people are still welcome: newbies or vets, lurkers or spammers, the more the merrier!
Old February 24, 2002, 17:54   #15
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

7 people is fine. You may remove the brackets from around my name
Old February 24, 2002, 18:19   #16
Locutus
Deity

1. Locutus
2. Hermann the Lombard
3. Immortal Wombat
4. kaan
5. Assur
6. (hexagonian)
7. Gazablanca

Now let's hope Dave gets his monitor back in time... New players are still welcome of course. Even if this game is 'full' (it isn't yet), we could set up a second game...
Old February 24, 2002, 23:58   #17
Badfuzzy

I would like to join in also no preferences
Email: Badfuzzy@hotmail.com

Old February 25, 2002, 02:38   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:51
Lucutus,
I just took it for granted that you would sign me up as well.
Old February 25, 2002, 10:16   #19
Locutus
Deity

Cool guys, good to see you both join...
Let's wait a little while longer to see if more people are interested in joining and if Dave gets his monitor back anytime soon, otherwise it would seem we are good to go...

BTW, how are y'all on the settings? Cradle v1.3 (6 opponents, Regular map, Hard, Raging Hordes) good for you? Any preferences for Civ and leader and stuff? Turn lengths ok?
Of some of you I don't have an email address yet. IW, Hermann, hex (if you participate), I'll assume I can use the usual mail addresses for you guys, let me know if you want to use a different one. Gazablanca, Oerdin, you two will need to either post an address here or mail me at w.snijders@student.utwente.nl before the game starts.

1. Locutus
2. Hermann the Lombard
3. Immortal Wombat
4. kaan
5. Assur
6. (hexagonian)
7. Gazablanca
8. Badfuzzy
9. Oerdin

Last edited by Locutus; February 25, 2002 at 10:25.
Old February 25, 2002, 14:05   #20
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Locutus,

Yes, you can use my regular email address.

Now, how many players do you want before splitting into two games? My thought is that a good "recycle rate" might be 6 to 8 players and a 72-hour rule, so if you get 12, we could split.

Other people's thoughts?

-- Hermann

p.s. Do you suppose I should give up and start using a signature?
Old February 25, 2002, 17:23   #21
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Now, how many players do you want before splitting into two games? My thought is that a good "recycle rate" might be 6 to 8 players and a 72-hour rule, so if you get 12, we could split.
Yeah, about 12 sounds right. We'll have to see as I personally wouldn't mind participating in both games (would probably be a good idea since I already volunteered to host both ), others might as well. IW already indicated that he only wants to participate if there are sufficient players, so 2x6 might not be enough for him. So we'll just have to see how many people sign up and figure out the details afterwards.

I originally said 48 hours but on second thought 72 hours doesn't sound too bad either (I can be quite busy at times myself), if others don't object.

Quote:
p.s. Do you suppose I should give up and start using a signature?
Well, if you get tired of typing your handle after every post you might want to consider that. Alternatively you could sign your posts with 'Ed', a lot shorter than '-- Hermann'

Wouter
Old February 25, 2002, 18:26   #22
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

6 is fine I guess.
Old February 25, 2002, 19:42   #23
Oerdin
Deity

sgtjohnj@hotmail.com
Old February 26, 2002, 05:47   #24
Gazablanca
Chieftain

My e-mail addy:

gazablanca@blueyonder.co.uk
Old February 26, 2002, 12:21   #25
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
6 is fine I guess.
I.W.,
I counted 9 not 6. We could use a few more but nine should be enough to start with...
Old February 26, 2002, 12:29   #26
kaan
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

id prefer the greeks or the romans but any mediterranian nation would do
the rest is fine with me.

klaus
Old February 26, 2002, 12:59   #27
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by kaan
id prefer the greeks or the romans but any mediterranian nation would do
the rest is fine with me.
I personally absolutely the Egyptian city style so I propose we play with the Egyptians, if noone objects. As in previous games, I also propose we rename the leader to 'Apolyton'

Oerdin,
I think 9 is already a lot, in previous games people complained it took way too long before they got to play their turn again and that once they did get to play, so much had changed it felt like a completely different game. Therefore Hermann and I suggested to split up in 2 teams of 6 (or more) if there are 12 or so players, that's what IW was referring to.

Gazablanca, Oerdin, thanks for your addresses, I now have all the data I need.

Another issue is that some of the setitngs in our userprofile.txt need to be idential. I listed the settings which I think should be identical below with the value that I'd wish to give them. Feel free to propose changes/additions/removals:

Pollution=Yes
PlayerNumber=1
MaxPlayers=32
AlienEndGame=Yes
DebugSlic=No

We could still use more players though, don't be shy and sign up while you still can!
Old February 26, 2002, 15:36   #28
yservel
Settler

Hi all, it looks interesting, i read the first transcript and I found it most interesting. Can I join you?

my e-mail is yservel@hotmail.com

Though english is my second language, I will do my best to describe my future glorious reigns yet to come...
Old February 26, 2002, 15:46   #29
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by yservel
Hi all, it looks interesting, i read the first transcript and I found it most interesting. Can I join you?
Sure, great

Quote:
Though english is my second language,
If I counted correctly that makes 4 (or 5?) of us, so don't worry about that

1. Locutus
2. Hermann the Lombard
3. Immortal Wombat
4. kaan
5. Assur
6. (hexagonian)
7. Gazablanca
8. Badfuzzy
9. Oerdin
10. yservel
Old February 27, 2002, 04:31   #30
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

I will be in too, but not just yet. Still waiting for my repaired hard drive to come back from Seagate.