Old February 27, 2002, 18:21   #31
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 16:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wouter,

If you want to use Cradle 1.3, I downloaded it today and I'll try it tonight, but from looking at the tail end of the Cradle 1.2 thread (over in Mods), it looks like 1.3 is a bit buggy. At minimum we'd have to agree on which fixes to apply. I'm willing to try this, but we just have to be sure we're all "on the same page."

-- Ed
Old February 27, 2002, 18:33   #32
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:51
Great Boney

That means that we *could* start two games if we want to. We have 11 players and I for one am willing to participate in (and even host) both games. So what I want to know from everyone is:

1. Do you have objections to playing with two teams (i.o.w. to have less participants per game)?

2. If we're playing two games, would you like to participate in both games or just in one of them?

If there are no strong objections, I suggest we make the first game start ASAP (with 6 or 7 players) and the second one when hex and Boney have their computers back in working order. So:

3. If the answer to Q2 is 'only one', then would you prefer to play in the first game (i.o.w. start ASAP) or in the second one (i.o.w. wait longer and possibly have more participants - more people might sign up in the time it takes for the game to start)?

For the sake of simplicity I propose both teams play a Cradle v1.3 game. I think the main reason for hexagonian to participate is because it's a Cradle game so the second game should certainly be a Cradle one. The first one should start ASAP and this is easier when we use the settings as agreed upon already, rather than re-negotiating them.

If everyone can answer these questions and possibly post other feedback/ideas, I will try and split us all up in two teams (or not) and get the first game going ASAP...

Team if we play one game:
1. Locutus
2. Hermann the Lombard
3. Immortal Wombat
4. kaan
5. Assur
6. (hexagonian)
7. Gazablanca
8. Badfuzzy
9. Oerdin
10. yservel
11. (Boney)

Teams if we play two games:
1. Locutus
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

1. Locutus
2. hexagonian
3. Boney
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
Old February 27, 2002, 18:36   #33
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
If you want to use Cradle 1.3, I downloaded it today and I'll try it tonight, but from looking at the tail end of the Cradle 1.2 thread (over in Mods), it looks like 1.3 is a bit buggy. At minimum we'd have to agree on which fixes to apply. I'm willing to try this, but we just have to be sure we're all "on the same page."
Okay, it seemed okay to me (played a short game). If it's buggy, I'm don't mind playing v1.2 either, but we'll have to be sure everyone is using the same set of files...

Quote:
-- Ed
I see you took my advise
Old February 27, 2002, 18:38   #34
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 21:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
1. Do you have objections to playing with two teams (i.o.w. to have less participants per game)?
nope
Quote:
2. If we're playing two games, would you like to participate in both games or just in one of them?
Just one I think
Quote:
3. If the answer to Q2 is 'only one', then would you prefer to play in the first game (i.o.w. start ASAP) or in the second one (i.o.w. wait longer and possibly have more participants - more people might sign up in the time it takes for the game to start)?
First one... Yes. First one.

Better get that userprofile.txt sorted then
Old February 27, 2002, 18:41   #35
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Pollution=Yes
PlayerNumber=1
MaxPlayers=32
AlienEndGame=Yes
DebugSlic=No
NumPlayers? 8? I know it'll be determined by the file coming round, but if we all set it now, then we can put the file on write-protect, and stop any stupid changes happening.
Old February 27, 2002, 18:47   #36
Locutus
Deity

I proposed 6 opponents earlier, which makes NumPlayers 7 (right?). But I'm open to other suggestions, esp. if we're playing two games. Maybe 8 players on a Regular map is a little too much (7 is already a lot)? I'd very much like to hear what others think...

In any case, I don't think it really has to go in userprofile.txt. If I don't screw up the game set-up, I can't see how stupid changes can occur...

Team if we play one game:
1. Locutus
2. Hermann the Lombard
3. Immortal Wombat
4. kaan
5. Assur
6. (hexagonian)
7. Gazablanca
8. Badfuzzy
9. Oerdin
10. yservel
11. (Boney)

1. Locutus
2. Immortal Wombat
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

1. Locutus
2. hexagonian
3. Boney
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
Old February 27, 2002, 18:50   #37
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Alright then.

*changes to 7, just in case *
Old February 27, 2002, 19:20   #38
Badfuzzy

Answers to the questions:

1. no objections
2.one
3.game 2

-badfuzzy

Old February 27, 2002, 19:29   #39
Locutus
Deity

Ben, okay, 7 it (still) is...

Badfuzzy, thanks.

1. Locutus
2. Immortal Wombat
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

1. Locutus
2. hexagonian
3. Boney
4. Badfuzzy
5. ?
6. ?
Old February 27, 2002, 21:56   #40
yservel
Settler

Local Time: 20:51
Hi, I think I would be ready to play the first game (ASAP)...

I have no objection to all your proposals.

What is cradlle? How do u install it?
Old February 27, 2002, 22:49   #41
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

checking hard drive tomorrow
I am going to check if my hard drive is ready tomorrow. If so count me in, if not give it another week.

I have not played ctp2 for nearly two weeks now. (cold turkey)But I have played ctp1 on my friends computer.
Old February 28, 2002, 05:55   #42
Gazablanca
Chieftain

Answers to the q's....

1.No objections

2.Only one game plz...

3.I would prefer to start in the first game

Thanx
Old February 28, 2002, 07:02   #43
kaan
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

6 AI players + 1 human + 1 barbarian = 8 players

and i would rather be in a game with many players.

klaus
Old February 28, 2002, 07:39   #44
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by yservel
What is cradlle? How do u install it?
Ouch... You've never even heard of Cradle? Cradle of Civilizations is a mod that radically improves the game. You can download the readme files here, download the mod itself from The Land of Hexagonia and read more about it in this (huge) thread.

Since you've never heard of Cradle, it not might be wise to have you in the first team. If you play in second team you'll have more time to install and get acquainted to this mod (the first game might start as soon as tonight). Perhaps it even turns out you hate Cradle and don't want to participate at all if we play with Cradle (don't worry, you'll love it ), so we'll have to be careful. So for now I've assigned you to the second team. If you *really* want to participate in the first team and have the mod installed and everything before the first game starts, I'm willing to see if I can move you to the first team.

Kaan,
D'oh! You're right Fortunately this is much harder to screw up i the game setup screen

I'm afraid you're a minority, so I've assigned you to the second team. I'm still hoping even more people will sign up in the next few days, so you may still have your way...

All,
Seeing how Cradle v1.3 is apparently not stable, does anyone have a problem with us using v1.2 Cradle (12/19 update from hexagonian's website, no further modifications of any kind)? I'm talking about the regular Cradle game here, no Deity Slayer or Huge maps or any other kind of variation...

Team 1:
1. Locutus
2. Immortal Wombat
3. Gazablanca
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

Team 2:
1. Locutus
2. hexagonian
3. Boney
4. Badfuzzy
5. (yservel)
6. kaan

Not yet assigned:
1. Hermann the Lombard
2. Assur
3. Oerdin

We can still use new players: Sign up now!
Old February 28, 2002, 10:49   #45
yservel
Settler

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Locutus

Ouch... You've never even heard of Cradle? Cradle of Civilizations is a mod that radically improves the game. You can download the readme files here, download the mod itself from The Land of Hexagonia and read more about it in this (huge) thread.

My lack of knowledge is deep, but my will to learn is high...

I am going to download it as soon as...now...

I will post a threat before tonight to tell you more about my wish to be integrated in the first team or not.
Old February 28, 2002, 11:29   #46
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
Still no monitor...Talk about cold turkey!!!

I'm wondering if the crashes that are happening are due to the adjustments in userprofile.txt, specifically the MaxPlayer setting.

The 1.3 Beta changes are merely numerical balances in the text files and numerical adjustments in both the disaster/updater SLIC code. And I was getting crashes to the desktop with adjusted MaxPlayer numbers pre-1.3 Beta, when I tried to save the gamefile from time to time.

Autosave helps in this matter, but its a very imperfect solution.

Locutus, were you using adjusted userprofile settings in your recent test run?
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old February 28, 2002, 14:04   #47
August Borms
Prince

Quote:
Team 1:
1. Locutus
2. Immortal Wombat
3. Gazablanca
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

Team 2:
1. Locutus
2. hexagonian
3. Boney
4. Badfuzzy
5. (yservel)
6. kaan

Not yet assigned:
1. Hermann the Lombard
2. Assur
3. Oerdin
Gee, I wonder which team I'll choose...

How about Team 1?

Oh, and Cradle 1.2 is fine for me, I haven't tried out 1.3 yet anyway.
Old February 28, 2002, 18:56   #48
yservel
Settler

Hi, I think I will play in the second team...
Old February 28, 2002, 19:03   #49
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Hi,
Just to upset the nice balance i'd like to play to.......hmmm
2 games of 6players - 12players signed up
+me = 3games, 2of 6players and 1 of 1?
Ah well serves me right for being slow of the mark.
Just put me down for the next lot.....it's probably safer this way as it gives me a chance to see how it works. I look forward to your tales of battle - and remember my 'Uncle' will gladly take the souls of those slain into his hall
Craddle 1.2 might be best(i haven't had any problems with it) and if there is probs getting various files then mine haven't been updated to 1.3, so i could email them or something.
Have fun

EDIT: I don't mind which game i play in.

Last edited by child of Thor; February 28, 2002 at 19:31.
Old February 28, 2002, 19:11   #50
Locutus
Deity

Dave,
I didn't have time to test but it's still a beta and if people say it's buggy I'll take their word for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Assur
Gee, I wonder which team I'll choose...
Well, at the time of posting yservel could still have been moved to team 1, so there was still a choice (and I wanted to know your preference, not what would be most convenient). I'll give Oerdin and Hermann another day to respond, otherwise I'll just assume they are part of team 1 and send the test files out to team 1 tomorrow around this time (although I have a very long day ahead of me, so if I'm tired I might wait 'til Saturday).

Everyone try to make sure you've got Cradle v1.2 installed with the 12/19 update. Hex posted an update/variation on his mod in the Cradle thread today which overwrites some of the 12/19 files, so be careful with installing those (if you do, I advise you to make backups and restore the old files for the succession game). Also be sure that any 'home-made' modifications don't affect the files that are used for the standard Cradle game. If their are any incompatibilities we'll find out soon enough during testing (I hope), but it would save a lot of trouble if you checked in advance...

Once again, new people are still more than welcome to sign up. I don't think you have much of a chance to get into team 1 but team 2 is has plenty of room! We need YOU!
Old February 28, 2002, 19:15   #51
Locutus
Deity

Child of Thor: we cross-posted. It would be great to have even more players, so please DO participate! You even still have a choice between team 1 and 2... if Oerdin and/or Hermann prefer to be in team 2 or if someone in team 1 changes his mind you can still be part of team 1, otherwise you can still participate in team 2. Balance, schmalance, I'd rather have 1 team of 6 and one of 15 than 2 teams of 6... the more the merrier...

Edit: Almost forgot:

Team 1:
1. Locutus
2. Immortal Wombat
3. Gazablanca
4. Assur
5. (Hermann the Lombard)
6. (Oerdin)

Team 2:
1. Locutus
2. hexagonian
3. Boney
4. Badfuzzy
5. yservel
6. kaan
7. (child of Thor)

Edit2: child of Thor, I *will* need your email addy if you decide to sign up (ASAP if you want to be in team 1)...

Last edited by Locutus; February 28, 2002 at 19:23.
Old February 28, 2002, 20:59   #52
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

O.K.
Done........
Old March 1, 2002, 03:08   #53
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 16:51
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

One game and Team 1, please.
Old March 1, 2002, 06:13   #54
August Borms
Prince

Quote:

Well, at the time of posting yservel could still have been moved to team 1, so there was still a choice (and I wanted to know your preference, not what would be most convenient).
Ah yes, I read that after I posted
Old March 1, 2002, 13:15   #55
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:51
I'll play on the first team.
Old March 1, 2002, 21:22   #56
Locutus
Deity

The test games have been sent to team 1. Unless someone drops out at the last moment we've got this game rolling. Look out for the game/story thread soon (this weekend or early this week, hopefully)...

Now it's waiting for team 2 to get ready. While Dave and Boney wait for their repairs it's still possible to sign up, so don't hesitate to do so!
Old March 2, 2002, 08:00   #57
August Borms
Prince

Locutus, is it normal that I have to reload the slic? (if I don't do that, I get all kinds of weird messages)

Other than that, everything seems to be fine after playing a few dozen turns
Old March 2, 2002, 11:32   #58
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Locutus, is it normal that I have to reload the slic? (if I don't do that, I get all kinds of weird messages)
Not as far as I know, what kind of messages exactly do you get? Not 'noyon' and stuff, I hope?
Old March 2, 2002, 12:33   #59
August Borms
Prince

Nope, I haven't gotten "noyon" but:

-Instead of the global warming message I get:

"6400BC

CANCEL"

-When I open a goodie hut and barbarians come out, a dialog box appears with the text:

"You should consider running this empire as a theocracy.
A government based on faith is a stronger one."

and a button that has the text "input variable %s, used by set function%s is not initialized"

-If I meet another civ for the first time I get the message "Select recipient" instead of the usual messages

-If I attack another civ I get the message "the" instead of "The XXX have declared war on us!"

I played it with a clean, patched version of CTP2, then installed modswapper, Cradle 1.2 base from Hexagonians website, and altered the userprofile.txt settings to what you suggested...
Old March 2, 2002, 14:58   #60
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
The test games have been sent to team 1. Unless someone drops out at the last moment we've got this game rolling. Look out for the game/story thread soon (this weekend or early this week, hopefully)...
That would be our fifth succession game or our first Cradle succession game.

Quote:
If you have a non-English version of CTP2 than it is normal, you have only to consider that your successor has also to reload slic. If you have an English version of CTP2 than your version of Cradle could be different from Locutus' one or you used a different mod setup of Cradle.

-Martin