Old February 20, 2002, 19:26   #1
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Undocumented chages in resource placement
They are NOT shown in Civilopedia or README (new error to be corrected in 1.18f)

Salpeter can be found in Desert, Hills and Montains
before patch: also in Tundra
This doesn't chage things a much. Tundras are not common anyway.

Oil can be found only in Desert & Tundra
before patch: also on Plains
This can make getting Oil much more diffcult if there are not Deserts or Tunras nearby. If fact, in can be pretty problemcatic since most units need Oil.

Aluminum can be found only at Tunra and Hills
Before patch: Hills, Mountains and Desert only (not Tundra)
This is MAJOR chage. Before patch, I NEVER had any problem with getting Aluminium. Removing Aluminum form plains can make Aluminum rare resourse for human players. I guess Modren Armor (or Space Components) won't be so easy to get.

Tip for Firaxis:
If updating Civilopedia is "so big problem", then "please", write such chages in readme file. It's not first time to have important thing undocumented. How would average player find anything about this. Browsing Apolyton?

And one request:
Make Cililopedia MODable. One thing which was great in CTP2 was that you could modify Civilopeida to your liking (all together with hypertext). It would also make things easier to fix.
Old February 20, 2002, 20:09   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 13:51
I'm pretty sure I saw this somewhere.

but it might be on the changes thread in the civ3-general. Those might be undocumented. But they are listed in that thread.
Old February 20, 2002, 20:18   #3
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident

but it might be on the changes thread in the civ3-general. Those might be undocumented. But they are listed in that thread.
"Undocumented chages in patch" thread probably.

I posted it here for "strategic" resons.

And new stratgey discussions.
Old February 20, 2002, 20:24   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I do wonder why the removed aluminum from mountains. It's a very nasty resource to lose. I had that happen once when building a space ship.
Old February 20, 2002, 20:26   #5
player1
Emperor

Quote:
I do wonder why the removed aluminum from mountains. It's a very nasty resource to lose. I had that happen once when building a space ship.
Probably to get "War for Space" instead of "Race for Space"
Old February 20, 2002, 20:29   #6
player1
Emperor

Before patch, Aluminium was pretty common.
I had no game in wich I didn't have it from start at my soil.
Old February 20, 2002, 21:56   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:51
I really wonder about Oil being removed from Plains.

Is Oklahoma Tundra or Desert?

What part of Romania is Desert? The German war machine relied on Oil from Ploesti during WWII.

You won't find a lot of Desert and Tundra in Indonesia.

FWIW, according to reports I have heard, Alberta's Tar Sands have more oil than in all of Saudi Arabia. It's expensive to get out, but it's there. The Tar Sands would be located on Plains (with Forest covering).

Maybe for game balance, but certainly not realistic IMHO. If it's game balance, it imbalances some games BTW. If you hate unusable land, pick a warm climate. Very little Tundra with no observable increase in Desert equates to very little Oil.

Salve
Old February 21, 2002, 10:55   #8
Nero Would
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:51
Re: Undocumented chages in resource placement
Quote:

Here is a link to the "changes" thread for anyone who wants it.

The only changes in the location of resources from version 1.16f to version 1.17f are that oil has been removed from plains and aluminium has been moved from plains to tundra. There were no changes in the location of resources between the original version of the game and the 1.16 patch.

As Player1 says, these changes were not documented in the readme file or Civilopedia. Resource placement errors in Civilopedia are:
  • Saltpetre is found in hills, mountains and desert. Civilopedia lists tundra as well, but this was never true.
  • Aluminium is found in tundra and hills (before 1.17, it was plains and hills). Civilopedia says plains, hills, mountains and desert.
  • Oil is found in desert and tundra (and before 1.17, also in plains). Civilopedia still says desert, plains and tundra.
I don't think that removing oil and aluminium from plains will change the number of oil and aluminium resources on the map (that is set by the appearance ratio). But it may make them more likely to appear in clumps if there are a relatively small number of tundra squares.
Old February 21, 2002, 19:44   #9
Unregistered
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:51
That's too funny!

Oil & Aluminum are only found in tundra & desert? Bah!

Must be play balance. (you must build cities in otherwise worthless environments to get these key resources....)

Al is iirc the most abundant metal on earth. It's just hard to find in a rich enough ore to be commercially viable to extract. Historically I think most of these deposits have been in tropical island type locations. Could be wrong there.

& oil occurs in all types of places. No desert or tundra that I know of in Pennslyvania for instance, which is where J. Paul Getty made his oil business boom. That's why it's called Pennzoil...

Desert & tundra...
-- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick
Old February 21, 2002, 21:31   #10
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

and I don't think east Texas is desert. that would be considered plains.

And this game desperately needs off shore drilling rigs. And consequently oil should go in sea squares. (ocean too- but getting rigs to go that deep should be very expensive)
Old February 22, 2002, 13:10   #11
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

FWIW, according to reports I have heard, Alberta's Tar Sands have more oil than in all of Saudi Arabia. It's expensive to get out, but it's there. The Tar Sands would be located on Plains (with Forest covering).
Northern Alberta would be much accurately described as tundra in game terms. It's scrub forest, and the land isn't really that productive for agriculture.
Old February 22, 2002, 14:42   #12
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 21:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Al is iirc the most abundant metal on earth. It's just hard to find in a rich enough ore to be commercially viable to extract. Historically I think most of these deposits have been in tropical island type locations. Could be wrong there.
It's the most abundant on the surface I believe. Then again, iron is pretty common too, it seems perhaps a bit silly that civs can be so easily stuck without it (even worse horses of course, although they weren't found everywhere once you have a source you can breed them).