Old February 22, 2002, 07:22   #1
King_Kristian
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do you do it? Atrocities
Do you commit them?
Mayor like the PB or minor like nerve stapling and nerve gas.
I rarely do attrocities and I always disable the UN charter.
Old February 22, 2002, 07:32   #2
Pandir
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:54
I very rarely use them. Economic sanctions suck not to mention you never know if you might want to subjugate someone.
Old February 22, 2002, 09:45   #3
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Against the human AI, never. I use the golden rule: do unto others… Plus, in SP it really isn’t necessary. I haven’t played any competitive MP (only RP-style MP), but I suspect that I’d take the high ground there, too.

I’ve never used a PB. There must be too much Gaian in me since it seems just wrong to blow a nasty hole in Planet, plus killing all those innocent sims feels like a crime against humanity.

That isn’t to say that I haven’t done all sorts of nasty things to the Bugs (short of a PB). Maybe I’m a xenophobe?

Hydro
Old February 22, 2002, 11:13   #4
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 16:54
I do something in captured cities which is paramount to an atrocity, but isn't on the list of no-no's. When I capture a city and it is full of drones, I turn every single drone into a Talent. This then means that the city cannot feed itself, and every turn the city is reduced by one in population as they slowly starve to death, until there are maybe one or two people in the city. Should this be considered an atrocity? In my book, knowingly starving a populace (even a captured populace) should be considered an atrocity: if I had a conscious, then I'd have nightmares about all those hands reaching up, pleading desperately for help. Instead, I send them my Psych Chaplain to tell them, "there there, there there...."

-=Vel=-
Old February 22, 2002, 14:23   #5
SITS
King

I don't like using PB's but in a MP game where I was well behind it seemed the only option open to me. I was able to get half-dozen hits in first and at the same destroying a number of SP's (including CBA!) We now have flood warnings for 5k but since my team-mate is a Pirate it's not something I'm going to complain about!

But it has ruined the game and it will be a slog to the inevitable end....
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old February 23, 2002, 00:15   #6
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 14:54
Not unless I want to throw a game away. Used a PB once just to see...
Old February 23, 2002, 01:07   #7
Vytae
Warlord

Local Time: 12:54
Sits
Thats exactly what Pbs are for! setting the guy back majorly. Sure,the floods will set you back some,just make sure you pressure dome.
Old February 23, 2002, 17:10   #8
Blacken
Settler

Local Time: 15:54
Two scenarios.

Me Pirate.
Me losing.
Me have base full of PBs.
Me nuke enemies to stone age.

Or:
I'm Morgan.
I'm winning.
I've got +2 Planet.
I've got more PBs than the baddie has cities. (Done this many times in MP, even RP-style)
I nuke away his cities, and capture the rest. Then comes the obliterate order.
Done deal.

MAD? Why bother, when you have complete First Strike capability?
Old February 23, 2002, 19:46   #9
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 10:54
Yes, I do.

I've done them all, from nerve-gassing to nerve stapling. From probe's lauching genetic warfare to Planet Busters....I've done 'em all.

I 've done them when I'm winning and when I'm losing...sometimes just doing it for fun. But I usually make sure that atrocities are repealed. But against Miriam I don't care, I usually launch my 'Busters, then nerve gas.

.....can you tell that I'm a true Hive player now?
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old February 23, 2002, 22:28   #10
Anodyne
Prince

Local Time: 22:54
When they're repealed I like to nerve staple conquered cities. Even when drone riots aren't a problem, I do it just for kicks
Old February 24, 2002, 01:58   #11
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 06:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sometimes, particularly when I'm playing as Chairman Yang (see the other "Do You Do It?"). Not so much nerve gas, because it's expensive to install and forces me to drop one of my other special abilities, as nuclear warfare, particularly late in the game.
Old February 24, 2002, 04:13   #12
Sith123
Settler

I've only ever played single player games, but even then I like to....explore...all aspects of the game....which means committing attrocities up the ying yang
Old February 24, 2002, 20:04   #13
Sikander
King

Local Time: 13:54
I never do them.
Old February 25, 2002, 03:44   #14
Shai-Hulud
Prince

I very rarely commit atrocities. Why? Can't say for sure, but it certainly has something to do with my weakling empathic nature Although if my faction is loosing...it might be to much to bear without "exploring all the alternatives".
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old February 25, 2002, 13:15   #15
vitamin j
Prince

I pretty much stay away from them myself. Though in the one-on-one MP game I'm in right now, as Yang, I did a fair amount of nerve stapling early on. I had no commerce, so sanctions were not a concern, and I was under heavy attack from the Uni and desperately needed the extra production. The resulting worm attacks took a pretty heavy toll in formers, so I'm not sure it was worth it... Plus, after only a couple uses of the stapler, I was told it wasn't having any more effect!

In another MP game I'm in, as the Spartans, I'm rolling over the Uni right now and my troops are x-gas equipped, but I haven't needed to use it yet. It's good thing too, since the charter is in effect, and I'm governor in a pact with the PKs, and treaty with the Angels... I'm running fundy/planned and if I lost my commerce, I'd have no income!
Old February 25, 2002, 13:49   #16
Yxklyx
Warlord

How about probe teams and bioweapons? Can you frame another faction if you do it? Does it cause "pollution"?
Old February 28, 2002, 11:19   #17
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

I only ...
do atrocities if it is military helpful (if the un had been repealed), and If I have to at home (drones and can if police).
Old February 28, 2002, 11:50   #18
Jac de Molay
Prince

Since I usually play Sp, I rarely use. However, I do use them while role-playing as Yang or Miriam.

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old March 2, 2002, 14:26   #19
Xian
Warlord

I almost always play as yang and never use them, but i DO use the tactic of starving out o populations that have drones by turning them into empaths.

Atrocities are almost always unnesceccary, even if your losing a better strategy is to increase industrial production and get heavy infantry,. if you cant do that, capture mindworms. I use very little probe teams in genearal because i choose "knowledge" as a se for almost any faction i play
Old March 2, 2002, 23:26   #20
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SITS
I don't like using PB's but in a MP game where I was well behind it seemed the only option open to me. I was able to get half-dozen hits in first and at the same destroying a number of SP's (including CBA!) We now have flood warnings for 5k but since my team-mate is a Pirate it's not something I'm going to complain about!
IIRC Pirate bases can't be flooded out at all. Probably come with a Pressure Dome by default, can't remember...
Old March 4, 2002, 14:58   #21
Cybergod
Prince

I only have SMAC so no bugs to exterminate...

Nerve Staple Gun:
Nerve Gas:
Genetic Warfare: (too bad you can't frame anyone for it!)
Planet Busting: : (just too many penalties )

However against a human, the rule "what goes comes back" will be always stuck in my mind...

Also Sunspot Activity ROCKS!!!
Old March 4, 2002, 15:18   #22
arborman
Warlord

Only sparingly, and if it is absolutely necessary to win. I have less scruples against AI than against fellow humans, though we'll see in the future. The point is to win, and if you have the tools, why not build the cabinet? However, I try to win by conventional means, and my favourite wins are transcendence and energy market anyway.
I usually try to make my actions fit the faction too. No way Gaia or Cult would planetbust. Hive, spartans, aliens, no problem.
Old March 5, 2002, 10:02   #23
knowhow2
King

nervgas..... could win games for you in a few turns.

nervestaple... effective before meeting anyone ... somebody said 'huge map'.

PB.... not worth the effort. If you have they have it. If you have they don't, you can win other way.

all the others are just same things different names.
Old March 5, 2002, 16:57   #24
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 14:54
Personally, I almost never use atrocities. Unless I'm playing an alien of course. Or the Hive. But that's it!

Though I must admit, I've launched several PBs just for the fun of watching them hit the cities, but I never continue the games when I do that, for some reason. The only times I will nerve staple are before anybody comes around to bother me. The only times I use nerve gas are during sunspot activities or against aliens. But, to be honest, it's very rare that I do that sort of thing.
Old March 6, 2002, 06:40   #25
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Quote:
nervestaple... effective before meeting anyone ... somebody said 'huge map'.
I just recall that other factions know about the nerve stapling even if you meet them after you've done it. Can anyone confirm this? And if your citizens are still under the influence of stapling after you meet other factions...will they know you did it?
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
Old March 6, 2002, 09:41   #26
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Shai,

Ohh yes. Once you nerve staple you get a message saying sanctions are in place for x turns (I forget how many years) even if you have met no other factions. Point being in the early game nerve stapling is an effective means to keep base populaces under control. The downside of no trade is essentially nil b/c you haven't:

a) met and treatied/pacted with anyone yet
b) if you have you haven't leaned enuff trade enhancing techs yet to allow a meaningful trade energy

So... if you staple before you meet anyone you do have sanctions in place that more than likely run out before or shortly after you meet them. (or at least thats the plan)

Og

Course my with my playstyle if you need to staple you aren't pumping colony pods out fast enuff or you are leaving your bases completely ungarrisoned thus allowing drones at pop level 2 (transcend).

OTOH I suppose one could argue that stapling is circumstantially OK in order to deal with beuracracy drones in the event you are expanding beyond first warning limits until such time as you are able to plop down rec commons.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 7, 2002, 11:48   #27
Shai-Hulud
Prince

But the problem is that most of the factions just don't like nerve stapling even if you're only doing it to "your own" citizens. It makes it harder to get into treaties. And I recall that they do know you have nerve stapled your citizen even if you do it prior to commlink. So, you may not suffer trade sanctions but you have hard time trying to get other factions to trade with you.
Old March 7, 2002, 12:57   #28
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Shai,

Very True,

Your reputation does play a role in ability to gain treaty and/or pacts.

OTOH if you simply want to conquer and force submissives it normallyisn't a big factor.

It's kinna a moot point for me at least as I almost never perform any atrocities of any sort. I even try to refrain from nerve Gassing Aliens.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 7, 2002, 17:43   #29
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

No atrocities. I do it clean.

Maybe it would be another story if the other factions managed to railroad the "repeal charter" on me. But the vote has never been that lopsided yet.

Being a huge fan of "swear a pact to serve me", I am loath to do anything that will jeopardize the likelihood that a beaten faction will surrender to me. So I play nice. Rather than obliterate or starve a vulnerable or uselessly-placed base , I prefer to give them to another submissive. Let him or her worry about its drones and defense.
Old March 11, 2002, 00:58   #30
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 16:54
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
I did it once, but never again.
In one SP game a few months ago, Miriam and I were battling for possession of a base on our disputed border. I couldn't get defenders out there quick enough to keep her from taking it, and she didn't defend it adequately, either. I got tired of it and certainly wasn't going to let her keep it, so I obliterated it . After reading that 30,000 citizens were put to death , I shut down the game until the next day. I deleted the saved files from that game and started a new game.
Out of sight, out of mind... or just out of mind .