Old March 11, 2002, 10:05   #31
arborman
Warlord

Local Time: 15:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I just did it in an mp game, dropped a pb on the enemy heartland. As soon as I had done it I realized it was a mistake, and now I'm in trouble. I will probably still win, but it's actually going to be harder rather than easier. As per my post above, I did it in character, but it was a mistake nonetheless.
Old March 12, 2002, 12:26   #32
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:54
Last night I dropped two singularity PBs on Cha Dawn after he peppered a couple of my bases with something like 35 conventional missiles (which killed a total of about six AAA neutronium garrisons - talk about a stupid cost/benefit tradeoff!). Thankfully I already had 4 ODPs in orbit, cause next turn I needed them all . Downside is, the mind rape has begun in earnest and the sea levels are coming up. I think I can hold out long enough to transcend, though.

And on large maps I've obliterated captured bases that were too small and too far away from my holdings to bother with -- I usually wait for sunspots before that, though, otherwise I give 'em away to pactmates. I tend to play small maps these days so I've gotten away from needing to do that.

All this versus the AI.
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old March 15, 2002, 12:40   #33
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 15:54
I love to use chemical/biological weapons. I always design a couple of units with these weapons as soon as I get the tech for them. I play like a monster against the AI. I obliterate bases that are useless without any qualms. The only time I use PB's is if someone uses them on me first.
Old March 18, 2002, 07:59   #34
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 22:54
Quote:
After reading that 30,000 citizens were put to death , I shut down the game until the next day. I deleted the saved files from that game and started a new game.
You're an empath gwilly, you really are

Thinking of atrocities...in SMAC that is I, more or less often, prepare for full scale war, war of atrocities. Especially in MP games which are going to be tricky. Meaning that I will equip most, if not all, units with Nerve Gas Pods, build adequate probe offense and PBs when available. The thing is that I hate to do atrocities - maybe because I'm humanist. But I won't stand watching my empire being invaded if there is a real threat of complete destruction. So, despite of its inefficiency, I like to keep chemical warfare as an option which can be taken into use with dreadful effects at any given moment. Some X Needlejets equipped with extra fuel near enemy borders can do wonders in just one turn.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis