Old February 22, 2002, 15:36   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Has anyone ever seen this before?
In my latest Cradle v1.2 (test) game, I actually caught the barbarians founding a city!
I've never seen anything like this before, I was wondering if others had...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	barbcity.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	10325  
Old February 22, 2002, 16:02   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:55
Wow, I've never even heard of anything like this before! The only thing I can think of is that Attila found a settler in a goody hut and used it to found a city. I suspect there is something about the cradle mod that allows this to happen where as it was disallowed under the default settings.
Old February 22, 2002, 16:03   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:55
It's also interesting the the Barbarian "civ" already has city names in the data base so I guess Activision at least toyed with this idea before...
Old February 22, 2002, 16:37   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 21:55
Quote:
The only thing I can think of is that Attila found a settler in a goody hut and used it to found a city
More likely a barbarian walked into a goodie hut, and found an "advanced tribe", giving an automatic city. The barb strategies wouldn't stretch to settling a city would they?

Interesting though, Locutus, can I ask, have you tried conquering that city? Once a civ has a city of its own, as soon as it has 0 cities, it has lost. Is it possible to destroy the barb civ completely?
Old February 22, 2002, 16:46   #5
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
They can build settlers, they can build cities, they can progress through the tech tree...

They may have pulled this out of a goody hut too.

Are you sure this isn't a city that revolted?

Either way, it is cool to see.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old February 22, 2002, 17:51   #6
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 21:55
Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
They can build settlers, they can build cities, they can progress through the tech tree...
They can, but will they? What's the goal priorities on it?
Quote:
Are you sure this isn't a city that revolted?
Not unless they renamed it too... Revolted cities keep their old names I thought.
Old February 22, 2002, 20:52   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Oerdin,
In the textfiles the Barbarians are treated as an ordinary Civ, like any other. For this reason they simply MUST have city names or the game probably wouldn't even load. Also, if due to some fluke or piece of SLIC code barbarian cities *are* created, you don't want the game to crash so you have to give them some cities names anyway. I personally don't think they ever seriously considered doing this deliberately though...

Ben,
I seriously doubt that you could kill the Barbarian civ. If you conquer a Barbarian city that was conquered by the Barbarians earlier they don't loose either. But I'll try conquering it later, just in case...

Dave,
Like Ben says, the city has a Barbarian name, it can't possibly have been owned by any other civ. Also, I always keep a close eye on the radar window and never saw a non-barbarian city at this location at any time, the Barbarian city just popped up out of nowhere at some point.
Old February 23, 2002, 17:23   #8
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
They can, but will they? What's the goal priorities on it?
Actually it is pretty high in my strategies, but the barbarians have less goals to focus on too - many are set at 0...

I'm just wondering if it was built or popped out of a goody hut. Are there any other barb cities on the map?

For your succession game, you may want all of your player to have a high MaxPlayer setting so those revolting cities form new civs.

Actually, I may want to get in on that game, but my monitor is out being serviced, so I do not know when I'll get it back.

I'm at the library now typing this - I have an Apolyton addiction problem...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old February 23, 2002, 18:21   #9
Locutus
Deity

Come to think of it, I'm not 100% certain but I don't think there was a goody hut at that location. I think reconned that area earlier in the game so any goody huts that might have been there would have been taken by me (or some AI before me). I'd have to double-check that though...

That's the 2nd Barbarian city on the map BTW, the Maya's lost a city to the Barbs ages ago and noone reconquered it yet. Although, there might be even more Barb cities as there's still one civ of which I haven't obtained the map yet.

Yes, synching our userprofile.txt files might be wise for the succession game. Setting MaxPlayer high is always fun.
It would be great if you could join in on the succession game but working on a computer helpdesk myself, I know it can sometimes take a VERY long time before a monitor is fixed and delivered again (I'm surprised they didn't just swap your monitor with another one, that's the policy where I work). I haven't set a date yet for the succession game so we'll have to see how it works out...
Old February 25, 2002, 14:20   #10
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 16:55
"Yes, synching our userprofile.txt files might be wise for the succession game. "

I think that goes beyond "wise" to "mandatory" or we'll have any number of problems. And as was said, that high number can be fun.

I *like* the idea that barbs can found cities from time to time. After all, many did...
Old February 25, 2002, 17:06   #11
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
I think that goes beyond "wise" to "mandatory" or we'll have any number of problems. And as was said, that high number can be fun.
Yeah, that's a new concept I invented, I call it 'understatement' (I guess a smily would have been in place)

Quote:
I *like* the idea that barbs can found cities from time to time. After all, many did...
Me too, perhaps we should even (somewhat) increase the chance of this happening...