Old February 22, 2002, 22:01   #1
scooter mk2
Settler

Local Time: 17:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Obselete equipment: An idea for Firaxis
In the real world, militaries sell off obselete stuff to whoever wants to pay the highest price for it. Let's say you have a unit - like Calvary that is no longer useful in a Modern Armour world and you want to sell it to a certain nation. YOu should be able to get some money for each unit in return from that nation. This is based on the Civ 2 feature where you could give away military units to another naiton. Any chance that feature, with these modifications could be brought back? I'm guessing such an improvement would be too big for a patch.
Old February 22, 2002, 22:09   #2
Munroe
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 15:56
Considering how little they pay for techs and resources imagin how little they would pay for a unit .. soo unless they changed the diplomacy a bit you would end up getting like 10 gold for 5 units. Plus you should always keep your calvary, their 3 movement is great for capturing workers and destroying roads on resources. However I wouldn't mind seeing some more things (units as you said) to put on the table in diplomacy to meet those high demands.
Old February 22, 2002, 22:21   #3
korn469
Emperor

you can already trade or sell workers, so i would love to see an option to trade units as well
Old February 22, 2002, 22:58   #4
Thrawn05
King

That is why I tweaked my game so that cavalry upgrades to tanks. It took a while to figure out the new upgrade tree for 1.17f, but I've figured it out.
Old February 22, 2002, 23:11   #5
scooter mk2
Settler

If any of you have played Monopoly Tycoon you'd agree with me when I say that the best way to sell off obselete units is to have an auction type setting. If the nations want them bad enough they'll pay for them. Of course, this will allow nations without the tech level to have advanced units compared to what they can build so we have to make it such that geting a unit built with an undiscovered tech won't give them that tech. In some games, I have really weaks allies who do nothing and I'd love to be able to give them my obselete units that may benefit them. I'd like the auction type selling of old units, but all I really want back is the ability to give away units at least.
Old February 23, 2002, 08:36   #6
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 22:56
Firaxis said in one of recent chats that selling units was removed since it was too much exploitive by human players.

Pity...

I would like to get such option.
Old February 23, 2002, 10:31   #7
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
why is it that every thing that SOME ppl MIGHT exploit is taken out by firaxis? not every one will use it....

but it is a good idea, like when you are in peace negotiations, u can demand your enemies entire military force to simulate de-militarization.
Old February 23, 2002, 12:20   #8
Flight
Warlord

Local Time: 20:56
unfortunately most things which firaxis say people exploit could be fixed with some more complex programming, but they cant be bothered

its a pity really, because options like this and trading for cities sound cool
Old February 23, 2002, 14:04   #9
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Andy-Man
but it is a good idea, like when you are in peace negotiations, u can demand your enemies entire military force to simulate de-militarization.
And make it easy for the guy I sold all of the units too more powerful? I think not.
Old February 23, 2002, 14:22   #10
Munroe
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

I think trading / selling units would be neat in multiplayer because if your friend is getting beaten on badly but you cant commit yourself to a war for some reason you could keep supplying them with units. Sort of like what the USA did in the early years of WW2. Although it could easily be exploited so the traded units should have to take some turns to get there or maybe just change over to the new civ on the square they are at.

EDIT - Maybe they could use the Airlift method like in Civ 2, plus when an enemy civ shoots down the airlift there could be a chance that they see where they were coming from so they know how this civ is getting all their units.
Old February 23, 2002, 14:56   #11
scooter mk2
Settler

I agree that there are some wimps who would misuse such an option to buy out an enemy's military, but the way I see it is that so that such people can't abuse it, you can only ask for a certain percentage of another nation's units. This way you can't buy them all. The most important thing, I think, is that the human players get the chance to sell their units that they don't want to disband. It's like giving you the option to supply arms in a war between to AI nations or helping improve the defences in the short-term of an allied AI nation (giving them the tech would be longterm and if it's a good tech to have strategically, you don't want to give it to them). In Civ2, you couldn't ask for military units as far as I can recall, but you could give them away - this was an excellent option. Combine it with being able to ask for money in return and it'll make diplomacy far more interesting.