Old February 23, 2002, 15:29   #1
Rastapopoulos
Warlord

Local Time: 21:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
is this bug reported yet?
I am having a serious problem with a PBEM game. There must be a bug at work:
At two of my bases a Colony Pod production is overdue. I keep getting a message screen telling me that the production must be delayed, because the population is too low. Both bases have grown to size 2 several turns ago.

I restarted the game, this time answering the screen with the option to abandon the base, hoping this might result in a shrink of -1 of the population, but the game indeed abandoned my bases from size 2 to zero, leaving one colony Pod. So I restarted again, delaying the production once more.

I am having this since a couple of turns now and it doesn't seem to resolve. What can one do? Has anyone heard of this bug before? If it stays this way, I'm going to have to switch my production, loosing minerals as a penalty and I'm not going to get these colony pods, which are crucial for my development.

All in all a serious drawback.
Old February 23, 2002, 15:50   #2
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 20:57
That's one I haven't heard of at least. I'll try to ferret around for the huge bug report thread that was produced some time ago, for future patches, you can have a look through there.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old February 23, 2002, 16:20   #3
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

The thread has disappeared, at least to the search engine - but then again, that's not finding anything older than a month or two, but there are thread on here up to 2 years old...
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old February 23, 2002, 16:47   #4
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 15:57
I use to see similar problems in IP play...a 'completed' unit would never show up in the base. The only way I ever found to return the base to some productivity was to change production to something different. 'Course that will entail a significant loss of production. BUT...if this is an aspect of the same problem as I experienced then, it WON'T resolve by itself...that base will eternally produce the same CP and be useless to you for anything else.

No idea what causes this...maybe some corruption of the save file?
Old February 23, 2002, 22:10   #5
Dreifels
Prince

In Bingman's bug list it isn't reported.
However, such I had times ago with a single user game that I run with a very huge map 192x192 late in the game when the maximum possible units were reached.
Then the realising of the unit stopped as long until some other units had been detroyed. Then it worked again fine, until all factions togethe rhad built so much again, that the maximal was reached.
I used it as feature so that I killed AI enemy units and thenhurried my own and then my own would produced but no the AI enemy units as my buildings then already filled up the max.
Old February 25, 2002, 06:03   #6
Tizzy
Warlord

Re: is this bug reported yet?
Quote:
Originally posted by Rastapopoulos
I am having a serious problem with a PBEM game. There must be a bug at work:
At two of my bases a Colony Pod production is overdue. I keep getting a message screen telling me that the production must be delayed, because the population is too low. Both bases have grown to size 2 several turns ago.
I had this happen last night. I was playing Aki with Green, so I figured it was something to do with the near zero growth.
Once I changed off Green the pod built next turn.
Old February 25, 2002, 06:59   #7
Rastapopoulos
Warlord

Hmm, I am playing Yang with Planned, so that's not the cause.
But maybe something will change once you play with the SE?
Dunno. Onlything I konow is I don't want anything else but Planned.
Grrr...
Old February 25, 2002, 13:08   #8
Darius
Prince

I have often seen this occur for about 2-3 turns after my pop at that base grows to size 2. I just keep delaying production, and the pod eventually gets completed. I don't know why.
Old February 25, 2002, 13:13   #9
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

The last three posts give a clue, perhaps. Maybe the first growth for this purpose is calculated acording to ) growth adjusment, regarless of what your actual growth modifier is?
Old February 25, 2002, 20:29   #10
Rastapopoulos
Warlord

what do you mean Scaevola? ....calculated according to growth adjustment, regardless of what your actual growth modifier is...?
are you trying to say, the game may act as if I had growth 0 and ignore the faction and SE bonuses that give me growth +3, in this case? at least as far as producing the warning message and delaying CP production is concerned?
well, i wouldn't swear on it, but i am pretty sure i've produced other CPs in this same game that were ready on the spot one turn after going to the second citizen. I enjoy this sort of growth-maximizing JIT-production and sometimes even spend cash to enable it. After all, it's why you play Hive.
but, maybe i don't remember correctly and you are right. then it would be advisable to just wait a couple more turns.