Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 23, 2002, 17:12   #1
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Confirmation of city sites: 1500 BC
Three square are highlighted for confirmed settlement, with the green location currently being held in low priority while we explore.

The yellow square is the southern island suggested site. This is the only site that makes full use of the island with one city. The red site is a suggestion for our newly discovered settler on the north island. This location gives the city 3 special resources, but seemingly wastes a small bit of land on the edge of the island. Vote.....aye or nay.....or suggest something else!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	10389  
Old February 23, 2002, 17:20   #2
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

The southwest island intrigues me. Our trireme can get there in a single turn... I think we should settle there.
Old February 23, 2002, 17:24   #3
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Exploration isnt complete there. We dont know the special pattern if any, or the complete lay of the land to optimize the maximum ammount of cities there. I say for now go for the sure thing on the south island, and wait for the apolyton settlers to go to the south west island
Old February 23, 2002, 17:59   #4
Zealot
King

Local Time: 21:57
I really think we should switch settler functions! I mean, the settler with the NONE support should be taken to the main island, and build roads and irrigations there, while the settlers from our cities be used to build cities instead! It will be a waste of resources to waste an unsupported settler in a city, when we could use our own instead. Will save some food and shields from one city this way!
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old February 23, 2002, 18:44   #5
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
I really think we should switch settler functions! I mean, the settler with the NONE support should be taken to the main island, and build roads and irrigations there, while the settlers from our cities be used to build cities instead! It will be a waste of resources to waste an unsupported settler in a city, when we could use our own instead. Will save some food and shields from one city this way!
I think it´s been already used to found a city, probably sodaq...

the red spot is perfect, the yellow.... is to found a city for founding a city, there is not a single reason
Old February 24, 2002, 15:14   #6
MBloomIII
Prince

Local Time: 15:57
If we wasted a NONE settler on founding a city, we screwed up. I missed that vote, or didn't realize we had a NONE settler.

Red site is perfect. Build a forest up1/over2 to probably get Silk or Pheasant.

I like yellow spot to get a strong trade city. Lot's of lovely Ocean squares.

Southern Island is next on settle list.
Old February 24, 2002, 23:29   #7
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MBloomIII
If we wasted a NONE settler on founding a city, we screwed up.
But we'd only have 3 cities, not 4. One city supporting a settler is a very tiny price to pay for a city founded in 3700bc. Think, that NON settler is earning our civ trade arrows for hundreds of turns! I used to save my NON settlers, but game experience converted me to immediate settlement. The early game benefits are large.

About this poll: I think the warrior should explore the southwest island more - there may still be specials to uncover. Apolyton is about the build another settler, it can go to that island in a few turns. The settler on the boat may as well go to the south island now.

Yes, Shaka, the yellow spot is building just because there is room. However, that will be a corruption free city with many ocean tiles, and thus many trade arrows!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old February 25, 2002, 13:16   #8
MBloomIII
Prince

Local Time: 15:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

But we'd only have 3 cities, not 4. One city supporting a settler is a very tiny price to pay for a city founded in 3700bc. Think, that NON settler is earning our civ trade arrows for hundreds of turns!
That's true, but for every road that the NONE settler creates is a trade arrow for free! With the added bonus of generating trade arrows for the same hundreds of turns. And the extra added bonus of connected cities for minimal defense, maximum growth.

Plus, on an island this size, we would only need the one settler to improve the terrain, the cities would not have to waste time making a settler to improve the surrounding area. All the settlers they create would go to founding cities and when we switch governments, the NONE settler does not drag on city growth. And when we make Workshop, boom, free engineer.

But, it's all spilt milk at this point. We have a nice settled island and are geared for world domination.