Old February 25, 2002, 17:38   #1
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 15:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis - Airlift needs to be fixed!
I wish I could use the airport to transfer my leader from one continent to another. Realistically, if the President wants to visit another country, he would use the fastest and the best transportation available. I would also like to be able to airlift worker as well.
Old February 25, 2002, 18:26   #2
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 12:00
You can change that yourself using the editor. Open it up, and check the "airlift" tag for any unit you want.

Steele
Old February 26, 2002, 16:58   #3
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 15:00
But that would be illegal! Victory seems hollow if I start messing around with the editor. Why can they just fix it on the next patch?
Old February 26, 2002, 17:20   #4
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 21:00
Dont worry Moonsinker, It doesnt carry a long Jail Sentance. Maximum penalty is a season ticket for Sheffield Wednesday
Old February 26, 2002, 17:47   #5
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 22:00
I actually agree that it is rediculous not to airlift certain units seeing as EVERYTHING today can be airlifted (especially people). Maybe a civs tech should limmit what it can airlift. I also agree with Moonsinger, messing about with the editor too much for such small details seems like cheating and by not playing with the same rules as everyone else I can't compare my Masterful And Devious Playing Skills (cough cough ) with them.

however, I doubt FIRAXIS will do such a thing... must be in the game design for SOME reason.
Old February 26, 2002, 21:18   #6
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Local Time: 13:00
Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
I actually agree that it is rediculous not to airlift certain units seeing as EVERYTHING today can be airlifted (especially people). Maybe a civs tech should limmit what it can airlift. I also agree with Moonsinger, messing about with the editor too much for such small details seems like cheating and by not playing with the same rules as everyone else I can't compare my Masterful And Devious Playing Skills (cough cough ) with them.

however, I doubt FIRAXIS will do such a thing... must be in the game design for SOME reason.
Well... sorta. The Helocopter seems to be good only for airlifting units that cannot be airlifted on their own. This, in my opinion, is lame. I simply allow each unit to be airlifted on its own, by making the changes in the editor. This make the helo a bit usless, however...

Remember the World Trade Center
Old February 27, 2002, 00:05   #7
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 16:00
EDIT!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonsinger
But that would be illegal! Victory seems hollow if I start messing around with the editor. Why can they just fix it on the next patch?
You must be kidding. Civ III's values in most respects are so off the wall I had to spend hours to get them playable, sensible, and reasonably historical. I think Firaxis threw them together over too many beers, especially the Espionage stuff.

Edit away. I may not be a good game designer but I sure know what makes for a good game, and I know more History than anyone at Firaxis. So EDIT, EDIT!

BTW, if you wonder how STUPID Civ III's original values are just remember they gave ELEPHANTS (!!!) airlift capability - but not a leader! I can just see transport aircraft being packed with pachyderms.
Old February 27, 2002, 03:00   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:00
Units that are not airlift capable were set that way for a reason, but that reason was not necessarily for reality's sake:

Settlers and Workers because they represent LARGE amounts of people.

Settlers, Workers AND Leaders because to allow 'instantaneous' transfers could make it 'too easy' to radically change the game.

So, get your most valuable Settlers, Workers and Leaders into those Transports, and anchors aweigh. -- Or: Use the Editor, or not.

--
Personally, this is not something I have changed in the Editor. I have only eliminated combat advantages against barbarians and equalized Attack/Defense strengths of fighter-type aircraft (e.g., 4/4 instead of 4/2), to allow for offensive air superiority missions.