View Poll Results: Do you care about pollution?
No I reall y dont give a freakin sh|t, I like orange color anyway 4 9.52%
well it bothers me but it has no impact on my game. 21 50.00%
It really bothers me and it's crapping up my game 12 28.57%
Unberable!!!! I wont play unless I edit the game for pollution!! 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26, 2002, 13:03   #1
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 21:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do you give a crap about pollution?
I dont know, it seems inevitable that global warming will happen because even if you clear the pollution, the AI doesn't seem to care all that much...So my question is this, do you really care if there's global warming, I mean, does it have an impact on your game? Would you see a big difference if there were no pollution? Because me, I put my workers on automate and that's it, I dont care no more. And if there's a pollution spot that takes more time to get cleened up, I just wait, I dont bother....

Spec.

Last edited by Spec; February 26, 2002 at 13:10.
Old February 26, 2002, 13:10   #2
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 23:02
Why is there no good options for it, I like the pollution to be in the game
Old February 26, 2002, 13:11   #3
Zouave
Chieftain

Pollution doesn't bother me one bit. Maybe I'll add that to my sig. My workers clean it up with little help from me. In fact, this is generally the realm of the slaves I capture from other civs.
Old February 26, 2002, 13:15   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 22:02
The only thing that bothers me about pollution is the dumb mayors that won't reuse the square when its been cleaned up.
Old February 26, 2002, 13:42   #5
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zouave
Pollution doesn't bother me one bit. Maybe I'll add that to my sig. My workers clean it up with little help from me. In fact, this is generally the realm of the slaves I capture from other civs.
You did know that captured workers worked half as fast as your own workers? Just checkin that's all....

Spec.
Old February 26, 2002, 13:44   #6
Zouave
Chieftain

Yeah. They are not efficient, but they are free of support costs. The workers I actually pay have better things to do.
Old February 26, 2002, 16:35   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 14:02
slave labour rocks- in the game of course.

those labour costs do add up you know. my gold is best used elsewhere.

I've already made my point about pollution. It should be like it was in civ2. It wasn't broken before, but they had to go and f*ck with it.

cleaning it up is easy. What is tedious is reassigning workers so your cities don't starve down 1 population point.
Old February 26, 2002, 17:02   #8
Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe
Chieftain

was in the middle of a game was ruling 4 civs in it me and 3 comps and im nearly finished my space ship i let the comps catch up in techs and having a huge war and all of a sudden theres a global heat yoke and all my cities are ****ed over in production and food and ive got massive riots and hunger throughout my civ!!!!! there should be an option to turn it on or off in the prefences
Old February 26, 2002, 17:03   #9
Gendel
Settler

It's not pollution that bothers me, since, as everyone has said, it is easily cleaned up and makes for an interesting problem to solve. What bothers me is the over-blown effect of "global warming". It's been over 200 years since the advent of the Industrial Revolution on this planet and I have yet to see any evidence of plains turning to desert in our farm-belt!!!

I like the concept of global worming as a foil to the game, but I don't like the fact that it's so unrealistic, rears it's ugly head so early in the game (I've got it kicking up in 1635 and there are only 6 or 7 factories in operation in the entire world!), and there isn't anything I can do about it since the AI civs won't even try to reduce their pollution. I even GAVE them Recycling!
Old February 26, 2002, 17:06   #10
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe
was in the middle of a game was ruling 4 civs in it me and 3 comps and im nearly finished my space ship i let the comps catch up in techs and having a huge war and all of a sudden theres a global heat yoke and all my cities are ****ed over in production and food and ive got massive riots and hunger throughout my civ!!!!! there should be an option to turn it on or off in the prefences
There is. It's called an editor....4th choice in the poll.....
Old February 26, 2002, 17:58   #11
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Well, I voted that it REALLY craps up my game, I hate the stuff and get rid of it as soon as possible.

HOWEVER

I would NEVER edit the game for this, nor would I enjoy civ as much if polution never existed. I think that polution, no matter how evil, is supposed to be there as an indicator to good city management. If there as no polution at all, the game would be so bloody easy I can't speak of it.
Old February 26, 2002, 18:14   #12
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 16:02
Pollution doesn't boteher me in this game, I think its implemented in a reasonable manner. What bothers me is, like so many other things in this game, the lack of options you have for dealing with it.

Basically, you can clean up your own polluition. If y9ou're really despearte you can clean up other people's pollution by buying a rop aggreement with them.

The Ai doesn't seem to paticuarly care about his pollution, so you're stuck with either paying him money so you can fix HIS problem, or going to war and smushing his productive capacity.

It would be nice if there was some sort of Kyoto treaty you could implement, which would automatically lower the production of signing civs so as to reduce pollution.

Or at the least have the ill effects of global warming hit those jerks who have pollution in their land, rather than us fools who go to extra effort to clean it up in the turn its created.
Old February 26, 2002, 18:51   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I just don't understand the purpose of pollution. An orange blob occurs, your dozens of spare workers clean it up instantly. You then have to go into the city and re-assign population. Its not a challenge - its basically make-work.

Then what can you do to stop pollution and global warming?? After discovering recycling (an age after pollution starts occuring) you build mass transit and recycling centers in all your cities. Pollution still occurs. Global warming still occurs.

Its all just annoying.
Old February 26, 2002, 19:40   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 14:02
Firaxis expects it to be fun for you
Old February 26, 2002, 20:04   #15
Thrawn05
King

I find pollution a pain when you have it effecting three or more citites at a time, I have to keep putting the citizens back on the damn tile. I wish my governers would work. They use to work. They use to place the civ back in the spot where the pollution when it got cleaned up.
Old February 26, 2002, 20:22   #16
Wjousts
Settler

The pollution really annoys me. I rarely build factories because of it and the fact there is really no good way to counter it completely and as has been mentioned before the worker AI and the governor AI need to have their hands held to effectively clean it. If it happened, but my automated workers could be relied on to take care of it (with absolute highest priority unless I say other wise) and the governor could be relied on to put the population back to work, it would be such an issue. Just a turn or two of low production and a slight risk of global warming.
As it now stands, it just isn't fun, I know pollution isn't fun IRL, but this is a game and I play it for fun! The stacked movement helps a little, but not much.
Also there's too much of a tech gap between hospitals and mass transit. If you build hospitals before mass transit pollution can be a real pain.
While I'm at it, that global warming sun indicator is next to useless. When I remember to even look at it, I can't tell if it's brighter than before. How about a thermometer indicator instead?
Old February 26, 2002, 20:32   #17
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wjousts
While I'm at it, that global warming sun indicator is next to useless. When I remember to even look at it, I can't tell if it's brighter than before. How about a thermometer indicator instead?
I don't think it gets brighter. It just warns you that there is global warming. It's not like in Civ for SNES that will turn beet red and then somthing massive will happen (like five or more tiles turning desert).
Old February 26, 2002, 21:26   #18
nato
Prince

I think pollution comes too early, comparing with rl. Not a big deal, just an observation.

Without automating workers, it is a huge hassle to clean up. But with automated workers, its no big deal.

With workers in general, I think it really pays (you, not your civ) to just accept the loss of optimality and have less tedious work.
Old February 26, 2002, 21:30   #19
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I don't like pollution. First reason is "optical". The railroad sleaze already looks messy, and it looks still worse with polluted tiles. Second reason is economical. If I want to build a tank in a city in 2 turns, and the city makes a net gain of 50 shields, a polluted tile can cause a big waste of shields. But I don't care, if pollution starves my cities, because the overpopulation is the main reason of the pollution. I try to avoid pollution by not building hospitals till late industrial era, but this means a loss of production.
Old February 27, 2002, 04:16   #20
kailhun
Warlord

It doesn't impact my game because I've reduced the time for cleanup to 6 (don't ask me why six, I don't know why). This means that with shift-p (I think) pollution gets cleaned up without all that needless mucking about in hyperspace ... I mean without micromanagement driving me round the bend.

Robert