Old December 24, 2000, 01:15   #1
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Let's shy away from Cosmetics....
I've been noticing a lot of posts on units, civs, improvements, and techs we want... I think we should steer away from this subject. First of all, these features are pretty good in Civ2 already. Second of all, these things will be more important later on. Third (and most importantly) you can always just change the names and graphics for these things anyway!

Instead, we should be talking more about the meat of the game. That stuff which will not be changeable. What are th capabilities of units, customization of unit features, quantity of possible civilizations, civilization qualities and diplomatic characteristics and abilities, improvement functions and limitations, and research system and special technology functions.

The other stuff can wait, or can be changed.

------------------
"...The highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances; next to attack their army; and the lowest is to attack their fortified cities." - Sun Tzu

"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle this job is under-estimating" - George "Dubya" Bush

Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889). :Hannibal3
Old December 24, 2000, 07:04   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:38
quote:

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II on 12-24-2000 12:15 AM
Instead, we should be talking more about the meat of the game. That stuff which will not be changeable.

I couldnt agree more.

One such big avoid-area is the almost obsessional need for, in addition to historic to modern parameters and features, also, try to squeeze in half the SMAC, into the main-game. As i have said before; let SMAC be SMAC, and let Civ-3 be Civ-3! Let Civ-3 end 2040 AD.

The Civ-3 future and fantasy can always be tailor-cut and fleshed-out much better, with help of a powerful; more enhanced and more user-friendly scenario-editor.
Old December 24, 2000, 17:34   #3
Dom Pedro II
King

That is the beauty of a customizable game. If you want a unit called Bob's soldier or Joe's soldier... you can just throw it in. If you think that the Colosseum should be called a Stadium, just change the name. If you want more future techs, put more in... all of this is stuff that YOU can do on your own. There's no need to clutter the forum with suggestions of changes that you can just make later if you really truly unhappy with the way it is.
Old December 25, 2000, 10:06   #4
FALVES
Chieftain

You're as right as you could possibly be, now try telling that to the other guys (and gals)...

By the way, Dom Pedro II?...
where did you get name? you portuguese or something?
Old December 25, 2000, 15:44   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

About the unit designs... colors... etc...

I for one care more about gameplay, but considering that Firaxis is now on the Concept Art stage of their project, it would only seem wise that we discuss that and leave the programmable aspects of the game for later discussion.
Old December 26, 2000, 01:05   #6
Dom Pedro II
King

Actually, I am Brazilian. Dom Pedro II was the last emperor of the Empire of Brazil before the Old Republic was established.
Old December 27, 2000, 20:23   #7
Kumiorava
Prince

Local Time: 19:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 12-25-2000 02:44 PM
I for one care more about gameplay, but considering that Firaxis is now on the Concept Art stage of their project, it would only seem wise that we discuss that and leave the programmable aspects of the game for later discussion.

Do you really think so? I for one believe Firaxis should do AI and gameplay first, and leave the artwork last. However, I don't think Firaxis is concentrating exclusivly on any aspect of the game right now. Of course they want to put out some concept art or maby even a few preliminary in-game screenshots to keep us consumers happy, but that doesn't mean that art is the only thing under work at the moment. The team's programmers have probably been cranking out code for the AI and game engine for almost a year now, and much of the artwork isn't needed untill the game engine can use it. Right now, all we have from Firaxis is a few concept images of units, and there's no telling how old they are. Could be that they've just started the art design (not likely), or that we will get to see some fancy screeshots as soon as the official Civ3 site comes online ("very soon now"). We've also had a some questions from the team members that seem to indicate the development has advanced well into the coding phase (they're asking about customization tools, witch they probably wouldn't do unless they had a pretty good idea what they can give us within the capabilities of the AI and the engine).

So yes, it does make sense to talk about gameplay and AI now and not later. In fact, it might very well be that it's too late to change or add much any more when it comes to the AI and the engine. The graphics can be discussed further when we have some idea what Firaxis is actually planning to make the game look like. That will be the right time to complain about riflemen with ill-shaped hats or too dark/light/colorfull terrain graphics.
Old December 27, 2000, 20:41   #8
hHydro
Chieftain

Unless they ask us more directed questions, like with the game editor poll, all we can do is talk about whatever we think about. Maybe some of our discussions are irrelevant and the discussions have already been made at Firaxis, but likewise, I'm sure some of our banter may help colour their decisions.

Firaxis; give us more polls! We'll be happy to answer! Hell. I'll be your no-fee private idea consultant.

Back to the real world however, I stand by my gameplay over graphics preference. I trust Firaxis' artists to give the game a great feel. I would much rather delve into the things that are going to provide the meat and potatos of the game.

Old December 29, 2000, 16:07   #9
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 20:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I promise

not to talk about hats
to be happy if riflemen have three cornered hats
to be happy if warriors, knights, diplos, spies and camels have three cornered hats.
to be happy if camels have 3 humps.
to be become adept at fooling around with modpacks long before civ3 is released.

happy now?