Old February 26, 2002, 22:18   #1
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 21:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MP Advice: Diplomacy
This may seem like an obvious question, but how do I cancel a trade pact I have with another player in MP? I have a ‘situation’ in a role-playing game I am in where I may be forced to cancel a trade treaty with the mean, nasty Hive since they are making war on my Pactmate Pravin (AI run, and fairly helpless). I don’t see this in the diplomacy screen, although I do see where you cancel a Pact.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hydro
Old February 26, 2002, 22:28   #2
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 16:04
Unfortunately, there is no way to diplomatically break a treaty. You must actually do something to cause a vendetta. Probing or attacking the enemy is the only way.

If you were pacted with your friend, and the enemy sneak attacked him, then your AI would have declared vendetta for you. However if your enemy probed your friend to cause the vendetta, or if a truce had expired and then he attacked, then you must initiate the vendetta between you and the enemy.

bc
Old February 26, 2002, 23:54   #3
Hydro
King

Thanks big_canuk,

This is most unfortunate. My pactmate Pravin (AI) is not likely to take kindly to my semi-friendly relations with the Hive (the other MP). Since I am an ethical Deirdre (and I don’t have Planetary Networks) I will not be probing anyone soon. However, if Yang goes too far I may have to be a vengeful Deirdre, even though I can’t get anyone to trade me for laser, much less impact. Having only hand weapons in MY 2151 is very uncomfortable. There is very little fungus on this world, and I have only 1 MW. Did I mention my research is set permanently on Explore? Bummer. I guess this is the joy of RP the Gaians.

Hydro
Old February 27, 2002, 01:24   #4
John Paul Jones
Prince

There is at least one other way to cancel a treaty , but this option falls outside the boundaries set by some players and does not always work reliably. Repeatedy hit the 'Demand Withdrawl' option from the right-click menu in the comm-link section. This will progressively lower that faction's attitude towards you. Eventually, with any luck the AI will step in for the player and declare war on you.
Old February 27, 2002, 05:43   #5
Dreifels
Prince

Local Time: 22:04
Re: MP Advice: Diplomacy
Quote:
Originally posted by Hydro
how do I cancel a trade pact I have with another player in MP?
Click Commlink and there "end pact" right down (this in SMACX is, I believe it's also in SMAC)
Old February 27, 2002, 09:01   #6
Hydro
King

I have not been clear. I want to keep my Pact with the AI Pravin, and cancel my treaty with the MP Yang because he is doing things my role-played Gaians do not approve of. I have no Pact with Yang to cancel, and the old Demand Withdrawal won't work since Yang is a player race.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I am stuck.

Hydro
Old February 27, 2002, 09:09   #7
Dreifels
Prince

Local Time: 22:04
not so good. The only way is to attack him or settle within his area.
Treaty set down isn't possible without conflict.
Old February 27, 2002, 11:58   #8
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:04
What status do you want to end up with??

I don't know how to move backwards from treaty to truce but you can get into vendetta in any number of ways. The easiest would be to call up your pactmate and they will certainly ask that you join them in your fight with the hated Hive. In SP I used to do this all the time and apparently you take less of a reputation hit when you war at the request of another ( not that that matters as much in MP).
Old February 27, 2002, 19:30   #9
Hydro
King

Flubber, I had thought of that, but the problem is that I have NO weaponry tech. NONE. I don't even have laser! I don't want to declare war, since that would send streams of Hive impact rovers my way (after he eviscerates Pravin, that is) and I would have little way of defending myself. My only MW got teleported to another continent, so I am essentially defenseless except for some synthmetal defenders (which I prototyped after building a Command Center to offset my Gaian morale hit).

So, I want to influence the Hive to not eliminate Pravin by withdrawing diplomatically, withholding tech he wants (I have a terrific tech rate, for Gaians without FM), withholding maps and other goodies, and generally encouraging moderation. It would be a LOT easier if I had some weaponry, though! Right now I feel rather powerless...

I hope my next tech is Planetary Networks. That way I can trade with the other AIs, since they won't do squat for trades until the VW is built or I have the tech to allow it! Grrrr! I don't want your stupid VW, all I want is Impact! Of course, nasty old Yang lords his Impact over me, the bastard.

Hydro