Old February 27, 2002, 06:49   #1
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How would you improve SMAC or SMACX
I do not have SMACX, but got SMAC.

I would improve SMAC, by have more factions and at the end a victory where you colonise another planet!
Old February 27, 2002, 10:47   #2
Jac de Molay
Prince

I have only Smac too. I would improve quite a few little things and not so many big things.

Off the top of my head..
Slightly better looking terrain (pink fungus? bleh)
More diverse looking terraforming ( everything seems to look the same)
Alphabetized city status screen.
Slightly more powerful naval units, they seem underpowered.
Some slightly less powerful air units ( choppers)
Better AI use of tougher factions like Morgan or Lal
Tweak the ecodamage formula. I build completely clean (all forest, Green se, lots of Planet friendly facs,), but seem to take far too much ecodamage. What gives?

If i think of any more I'll repost

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old February 27, 2002, 11:36   #3
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:05
Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitDave
Tweak the ecodamage formula. I build completely clean (all forest, Green se, lots of Planet friendly facs,), but seem to take far too much ecodamage. What gives?
Read one of the eco damage formula treads here.
Basic non-intutive trick to it is that you have to sort of "vacinate" planet. You NEED to get ONE ecodamage fugus pop as early as possible (build up one base for minerals & eco damage terraforming until you get the pop) THEREAFTER each eco facility you build (treefarm, hybrid forest, centauti preserve, temple of planet) raise your eco imunity level or mineral procution by one for all bases.

As for improvements
Better terrain graphic definately,... and a more maked women.
Old February 27, 2002, 12:02   #4
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 15:05
One important change I would make is to make the council votes a secret ballot. In SMAC/X, the Council votes are always predictable because the human player always votes last. You always know the outcome before you cast your vote.

So, I would have a secret ballot system where the outcome is only revealed AFTER the human player votes!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old February 27, 2002, 13:42   #5
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
One important change I would make is to make the council votes a secret ballot. In SMAC/X, the
Good One keep em comin. Im at work now so I'm supposed to be concentrating on other things .

I was also thinking of a more diverse ecosystem on Planets. The number of critters seems fairly limited.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old March 1, 2002, 08:51   #6
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 23:05
ICBMs, I mean real ICBMs

Better and more complex trading system. I'd like to see a possibility to focus on trading or non-trading society. The latter would be immune to many effects politics have on economy but would have less resources to use. And, by emphatizing trade you could gain a lot from other factions but you're economy would come dependent from international commerce.

Lesser the effects of the Secret Projects. Some of them feel little overpowered, especially when you're reaching the end of the game where usually one or two factions completely dominate SPs. Some projects should be available to everyone, some only for particular faction. Some projects could be built by everyone, some only by one.

Fungus should be more viable resource in the mid-game.

More complex diplomacy and options. The role of Planetary Council should be more like what we saw in Ely's books. At least, in the early game.

More tech, more improvements, more projects, more everything!
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old March 1, 2002, 13:38   #7
spartak
King

less bugs
Old March 1, 2002, 13:43   #8
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gasmaske
less bugs
"Bugs! Mr Rico! Zillions of them!"
Old March 1, 2002, 13:57   #9
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Smarter automation features (base governors, terraforming, etc) that actually work, like what were advertised in BHG's upcoming Civ-like game (which sounds GREAT, btw). This, more than anything else, would reduce the tedium of mid and late game by speeding up the turns. Tedium is the bane of turn based games.

One thing a new SMAC game should NOT do is neuter its personality, which is by far its strongest point (IMHO). That is the reason I still play after 2.5 years, and why the other Civ games are on the shelf.

Hydro
Old March 1, 2002, 17:43   #10
Pandir
Chieftain

I wouldnt mind having a city view like in Civ.
Also faction based buildings one per faction sort of like a small secret project. Like say for example Gians get "Earth Memorial park" Ecology bonus,2 less drones ect.

Last edited by Pandir; March 1, 2002 at 17:50.
Old March 1, 2002, 19:24   #11
spartak
King

I must confess I get fed up micromanaging my cities but its still the bugs that have to go first.
Old March 1, 2002, 23:33   #12
Admiral
Prince

I second the ICBMs. If you have a nessus mining station, you should at least be able to dispatch a ICBM. Also considering that the AI has an unlimited missile range.
Better AI usage of the Unit workshop. Never have i seen an AI naval probe. Also, the AI has never used crawlers to my knowledge. Finally, the AIs insistance on not using nerve gas on the aliens means that the Aliens are unstoppable when played by a human in a single player game.
Old March 2, 2002, 11:13   #13
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 17:05
Here's some things that I wish I had in one game or another:

1. Minefields. Every hostile border on Earth has them - I can't imagine we wouldn't have exported this technology to Planet. Make triggering the minefield (i.e. "explosion") equivalent to one or two arty bombardments.

2. Missiles with chemical weapons capability (i.e. the "poor man's nuke"). Equivalent to a Prometheus Virus outbreak, radius dependent upon reactor level. Don't ask me what I want them for, just give them to me!

3. More alien factions. Although in reality a lot of people have already generated their own alien/ additional human factions using the Custome Editor, it would still be nice if it could be incorporated into the storyline proper. Its kind of a lonely universe with just us and the Progenitors. I know that someone had sent me some customized maps once which had the remnants of a different civilization on Planet, which the factions upon landing would then discover (there were some roads, some terrain improvements, sensors, etc.): the way I took it was that after the Progenitors had left but before the humans arrived, some other alien civilization had attempted to colonize Planet, but had succumbed to the Blooming. Opens the door right up for the rest of these different aliens to find out what happened to their colony on Planet, and then you take it from there.

4. The ability to colonize the moons and other "hospitible" planets in the Alpha Centauri system: just imagine being on a moon and popping a pod (because some of the pods must have landed on these bodies as well, as well as the Progenitors having been there in the past and leaving goodies scattered about) that triggers an earthquake/ upsurge: the speeder or scout patrol would probably be sent into orbit!!! Combat modifiers would have to favor lasers/ reactionless weapons as well in low grav einvironments ( shades of the "Chirping Cricket" from M.I.B.). Conversely, if it were a high grav environment, movement modifiers would have a negative attached to them (i.e. speeders reduced to 1 square/ turn, green scouts would be 2 turns to move one square, etc.).

-=Vel=-
Old March 2, 2002, 12:49   #14
Sandman
King

Local Time: 22:05
A ton of ideas:

A nicer terrain map, which doesn't look like a pile of dog food. Rivers should be animated.

Each faction should have birth rate and a death rate. Increase the birth rate with social engineering and improvements. The death rate comes from things like warfare, radiation, diseases, old age, suicide. You have to counter these, with various different measures, for example, hospitals reduce the rate of disease.

Two new resources: Water and organic materials. Get water from rivers, rainfall, desalination plants etc. Water is used in maintaining the population and certain improvements. If you want to irrigate a square, it will cost you 'water points'. Organic materials come from forests, fungus, farms etc. Its basically stuff like wood, cotton and polymers. Use them for construction and upkeep.

A more interesting pollution model. Build storage facilities, pump it into the sea or just let it accumulate beside your base. Just watch out for mutated fungus and mindworms! Atmospheric pollution should accumulate globally.

Each faction should produce it's own luxuries to trade with the other factions. The Gaians produce wooden carvings, the PKs produce traditional books and the Spartans produce violent video games, for example. Each luxury should also have a small propaganda effect.

A revised combat system. It doesn't make much sense that strong armour equals strong defense.

A flexible base radius. The fat 21-square cross is far too restrictive on the spacing of your bases. It would be better if the bases radii could expnad in different directions based on the available space.

At the start of the game you can decide what to take with you in the limited space of your escape pod. Should I take a pre-fab recycling centre or a scout buggy?

Couldn't we have airships in the game?

Establish archeological sites on ruins and monoliths to discover hidden bonus techs and to advance the story.

Instead of building a road on a square, you have to build it between two squares, so that you can't easily cover the world with roads.

Phew, that's everything, I think.
Old March 2, 2002, 14:18   #15
Xian
Warlord

Ummm, the whole "it takes one year to move one square" The games sense of time is so mesed up its funny

MORE THAN 7 FACTIONS AT ONCE!!!! duhh

other planets

a generally LONGER game, with more focus on the latter technologies (just as you discover sattelites, the game ends)

better Ai of course

an anarchist faction
Old March 2, 2002, 23:23   #16
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 10:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If you've got good ideas go to the forums @ www.FreeAC.org and share them with us
If you havn't heard of it yet FreeAC is a project to make a sci-fi TBS game. It wont be a clone, but defintely is inspired by SMAC and will build on some of the strong areas of SMAC, in particular the "personality", while implementing a much improved MP system and generally increasing realism (climate, combat etc).
The team is mostly Apolyton'ers from AC-G/H/S.

We do have a very early stage graphics engine, so it's not all hot air:

The project is still in it's infancy, and ATM we are mostly just bouncing ideas around - if ideas are all you can contribute thats fine
If you just want to pop in, give a few suggestions, then leave then this thread is the place to do it.

edit: We also have a really laid back nonsense corner forum which can be a lot of fun

Last edited by Blake; March 2, 2002 at 23:29.
Old March 5, 2002, 13:08   #17
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Although I absolutely love the game. I would say the game breaks in the mid to late game upon advent of Choppers combined with Nerve gas.

A best weapon gas chopper is waaaaay over powered. Builders should have options to build facilities that negate nerve gas. Units should be able to equipped with a special ability that negates nerve gas.

I still think the divisional unit model and a combat subsystem would be a very welcome feature.

Blake,

I'll look around at your site a little later. But good luck on FreeAc.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 5, 2002, 20:37   #18
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 15:05
1. Interplanetary settlement. Pholus and Nessus definitely, Eurytion maybe. Maybe there'd be resources available only on those worlds.

2. A more sophisticated trade system. Perhaps we could keep the commerce system, but add the resource system from Civ III (which I liked).

3. Each faction having a unique secret project that gives it a special bonus.

4. More complex diplomacy system. Keep the Council, but make the ballot secret (as Diplomat said).

5. More terraforming options.

6. Add more factions, and make more factions playable simultaneously. (A 14-faction game would be interesting.)
Old March 13, 2002, 09:37   #19
Turnipshooter
Settler

They would have to improve that Civ 3 resouce system alot. In Civ 3 it was very flawed...ughh maybe its just because i despised that game so much.

I agree choppers are to mean

We need better surface to air units..add maybe a range of 2 or 3 squares that for most cases just damage air units unless they come with in one square or attack the SAM they get dead...for earth and sea units

Air craft carriers and subs a bit earlyer in game but have a harder tech to get for the ability to launch missles

Jets, artilary,probe and missles only compatible units for biological weapons

A facility that can negate biological weapons in the base area, maybe a unit special ability as well...donesnt everyone on Chiron live in presurized domes and suits anyway?

All in this game is a masterpiece ...being the pessimist i am i dont think anyone could improve on it....they would just screw it all up.
Old March 13, 2002, 10:02   #20
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I think I got an idea.

Arty needs some beefing up. Opportunity fire. If units comes within 2 square range arty has opportunity fire capability.

Same holds true for SAM arty. Thus allowing a wounding/weakening of inbound air units.

Imagine a series of SAM ships pounding inbound choppers thus defending the homeland.

Og

If the idea were successful arty would become a much more useful unit. I'ld think then a special ability to increase range 1 square would then be a nice add.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 13, 2002, 10:10   #21
aaglo
King

Local Time: 00:05
Disable nerve gas. It is way too powerfull, and it is a dubious ability...

Oh, and feel free to come to http://www.freeac.org , you'll find more of this...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	directions.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	11378  
Old March 13, 2002, 12:26   #22
korn469
Emperor

First thing you have to determine what really makes SMAC great and improve those thing

to me the most enjoyable parts of SMAC are its atmosphere, its diplomacy, its factions, and social engineering...those are the areas that improvements would do the most for the game

other things like adding 100 new forms of terraforming wouldn't do much for the game except make it even more of a micromanagement hell

Atmosphere
*add in the centauri olympics
*add in feats of wonder ala CtP2 and with each feat of wonder have an excerpt from the book of planet
*implement something like civ3's culture, except don't make borders rely on it, make it so that a high culture would switch people to your faction and it would also determine assimilation rates along with your faction's reputation
*implement a faction leader unit, that as long as this unit is in a certain city it generates benefits
for example
Santiago all troops built in a city with Santiago would have better morale
Morgan would increase your cities energy output
Yang would increase police
etc.
*Make your faction's reputation more important, so that factions with a good reputation attacking a a faction with a bad reputation would be welcomed as liberators, while a bad with a bad reputation would meet massive resistance from the locals

Diplomacy
*Change the council votes to be the square root of your factions population (and then add bonuses on afterwards) so that a faction with 16 population would only have 4 votes (8 votes if it was Lal) while a coalition of four factions with 4 population each would have 8 votes, this could help balance out bigger is always better, and encourage diplomacy
*Have more council resolutions that could pass, like a ban of building units with chemical weapons, or Nuclear Weapons, or ODP, or have pollution agreements etc.
*Have Council peace keeper units that carried the flag of all of the factions that voted to send in peace keepers, they couldn't attack, they could move into any faction's city on the council and if attacked it would be like declaring war on the council
*Allow multifaction Military Pacts like NATO
*Allow multifaction trade pacts like NAFTA
*Improve the negotiation screen
*Improve the battlefield coordination screen
*Allow the Council Leader to call a temporary truce between warring factions

Factions
*allow faction specific buildings
*allow faction specific special unit abilities
*allow more ways to customize factions

Social Engineering
*give each type of social engineering a ordinance it could pass, for example as a police state you could choose between martial law and secret police, if you choose martial law all military units would act like they had the non leathal methods special ability, and if you choose secret police all probe teams would count as police units
*make each type of social engineering have the possibility of giving specific benefits that would differentiate them...for example planned economics could mean that all of your bases calculate inefficiency at a flat distance rate, instead of distance from your captial, or power values would mean that no matter what the relative reputations of two factions were, some of your population would always turn into guerrilla type units

General Improvements
*Replace the current air unit system with Civ3's air missions
*add in M.A.D. for nuclear weapons
*add in HQ units that allow for stacks to engage in combat
*add in leaders from Civ3, except change them so that they work either as leader units mentioned above, or you can make them into generals and attach them to HQ units and give all units under their command a bonus
*add in small wonders
*add in mobilization
*as alluded to above, add in guerrilla units like civ2 but base them on reputation and other traits like SE
*add in war weariness
*add in better micromanagement commands
*improve the AI
*add in a flag for when aliens and certain factions appear...like the aliens won't appear to you discover fusion power if they are going to be in the game
*add in the ability to have more factions in a game than in normal SMAC
*add in the ability for bases to break off and form new factions
*add in the ability for two factions to peacefully merge
*add in golden ages, and dark ages (like a negative golden age)
*add in nuclear winter for massive nuclear wars
*global unit support
*flat rate food boxes
*military support by either city levels in civ3 or by population, or by a combination of population and number of cities, so that ten size 1 cities wouldn't mean you have 10 times the support as one size 10 city
*different units require different amounts of support

that's about all for now

Last edited by korn469; March 13, 2002 at 12:33.
Old March 13, 2002, 13:49   #23
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Make certain technologies more or less expensive to research for a given faction - based on overall faction tendencies, not SE. For instance, Gaians would research "Centauri X" technologies 20% faster, but research weapons techs 0% slower. Vice versa for Miriam.

Base facilities that had slightly different effects for different factions. Morgan gets +60% from Energy Banks because his faction really knows how to make a better energy banks than, say, Yang.

Have faction bases look more different as they get bigger - and have some variation among the bases themselves, instead of a bunch of clones of a size 9 base.
Old March 14, 2002, 13:31   #24
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:05
Rework the covert-operations part of the game entirely. A 30-mineral probe team, as SMAC/X stands now, is possibly the best investment of the entire game. He can net you technologies that other factions took many turns to research, destroy facilities that cost way more than 30 minerals to build, buy armies and cities outright, and grant you infinite knowledge of what your opponent is doing in his bases for the entire game.

I really liked MOO2's covert game in this respect. You built your spy unit, then on a separate screen assigned him to spy or sabotage on a rival. Spying might net you new technology, or it might not, but it would take time and you could be discovered. Sabotage might destroy something of an enemy's, or it might not, but it would take time and more likely your spy would be caught & executed. Alternately, you kept your spy home and he became an enemy-spy-hunter.

So I'd follow MOO2's lead, with a few modifications. You build your probe team, then he becomes a unit on this separate screen. The available missions would be espionage, sabotage, propoganda, and counter-espionage. Espionage could provide you with new technology, or partial information on an enemy's activites and disposition of forces. Propoganda would attempt to sway units/cities to your beliefs; this could manifest as a couple of citizens of an enemy city defecting to your closest city, or an element of an attacking army switching sides. Sabotage, of course, blows something up . Occasionally, your spy could request funds to continue his activites or to expedite a certain action. More spies would not necessarily be better! Inserting too many agents into an enemy's holdings could alert their security forces, and a large portion could then be caught and expelled/executed.

The idea of a spy turning into a double agent would be cool, too, but I think that ends up sabotaging the whole concept (you'd never be able to trust the info coming back to you from your spies after it had happened to you once).
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old March 18, 2002, 20:01   #25
Grail Quest
Chieftain

I've only been playing the game for about two weeks, but here's my two cents:

More basic technologies
They had spaceflight, but they have to re-figure out how to build a boat? C'mon! Sheesh. Allow simple harbors and airports, military naval yards and air bases with military unit production capability. Technological advances improve the "basic chassis" instead of making them available. For instance, tanks could be bigger and later anthropomorphic. Jets could fly faster, or be trans-atmospheric.

Production Queue pre-fab lists
Allow pre-setting a base production queue for when the governor is turned off. That way, if I have a dozen base facilities, I can put them in a pre-fab queue as default for every new base I start. It can show up in the queue as "DEFAULT" or something like that, so that it can be pushed up or down for inserting something that needs to be produced before that queue continues.

Ability to designate unit support base without having to go to the base first

Faction Goal Oriented Research
As a research option, allow a Faction to choose a one of the highest technologies as a research goal. Research then heads toward that. This, IMO, reinforces Faction Agendas and gives Factions more flavor.

More social engineering options
Don't know what yet, but it's a sufficiently interesting part of the game that I like to see it expanded

More Faction abilities and limitations
I feel that the more detailed a Faction can be made, the more interesting it is.

Improved Base Terrain Development
Provide a summary screen for a base, showing what squares have what bonuses. From there, select what to terraform.

More fauna and flora

Last edited by Grail Quest; March 18, 2002 at 20:09.
Old March 19, 2002, 02:58   #26
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:05
Quote:
More basic technologies
They had spaceflight, but they have to re-figure out how to build a boat? C'mon! Sheesh. Allow simple harbors and airports, military naval yards and air bases with military unit production capability. Technological advances improve the "basic chassis" instead of making them available. For instance, tanks could be bigger and later anthropomorphic. Jets could fly faster, or be trans-atmospheric.
I think the reason you need to 'discover' boat-building is simply that you don't just need theory, you need the infrastructure. It's no good me having the designs for even a speed-boat on my computer if I don't have the materials to make it...

Anyway, how I would improve SMACX:

1) more editor capablities (let us edit the functions of the facilities and SPs, and create new ones).

2) A longer end-game.

3) Pre-defined and editable tech costs.

4) An expanded commerce system, where you can actually shoose to export and import stuff to and from the other factions.

5) Expanded diplomacy (but not to the extent of the Civ 3 diplomacy, where it revolved around the bargaining table and foreign advisor).

6) A more realistic world generator.
Old March 19, 2002, 16:26   #27
Grail Quest
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

I think the reason you need to 'discover' boat-building is simply that you don't just need theory, you need the infrastructure. It's no good me having the designs for even a speed-boat on my computer if I don't have the materials to make it...
Yes, but does it have to be a speed boat? The thing with a lot of sci-fi world-building games (disclaimer: I've only played Deadlock and SMACX) is that they often discount primitive technologies.
You don't necessarily need high-tech craft to travel the seas. How about just a longboat, or a galley, or even a raft?

I'm not saying that they would be viable units in combat, but at least they would allow slow exploration around your base and colonization far off.

An alternative to having them as units might be a 1-square radius auto-map reveal around your base for every new colonist you build in the base.
For instance, bases normally start at 1 colonist and have a 2-square radius. When your base grows to 2 colonists, you automatically reveal (if not yet explored already) all squares in a 3-square radius.
This is to represent colonists moving about and poking around. You don't actually explore any unity pods or monuments or the like (you send an expedition of quasi-professionals involving an actual unit), but I think it's reasonable that every colony starts looking outward at its environment.

Under the present mechanics, it is theoretically possible for two factions to be side by side for years, just 1 or 2 squares away, without ever interacting with anyone.
Old March 19, 2002, 17:32   #28
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, but does it have to be a speed boat? The thing with a lot of sci-fi world-building games (disclaimer: I've only played Deadlock and SMACX) is that they often discount primitive technologies. You don't necessarily need high-tech craft to travel the seas. How about just a longboat, or a galley, or even a raft?

I'm not saying that they would be viable units in combat, but at least they would allow slow exploration around your base and colonization far off.

An alternative to having them as units might be a 1-square radius auto-map reveal around your base for every new colonist you build in the base.
For instance, bases normally start at 1 colonist and have a 2-square radius. When your base grows to 2 colonists, you automatically reveal (if not yet explored already) all squares in a 3-square radius.
This is to represent colonists moving about and poking around. You don't actually explore any unity pods or monuments or the like (you send an expedition of quasi-professionals involving an actual unit), but I think it's reasonable that every colony starts looking outward at its environment.

Under the present mechanics, it is theoretically possible for two factions to be side by side for years, just 1 or 2 squares away, without ever interacting with anyone.
True Enough.
Old March 19, 2002, 18:24   #29
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 10:05
I feel a strange urge to flame you for quoting an entire post to put a two word reply.

There could very well have been many technical challenges to building ships on Chiron, some include:
Sea fungus which eats hulls.
Extreme storms (due to faster rotation and higher gravity)
A lack of fuel.

Challenges to aircraft:
Higher gravity.
Lower atmospheric O2 (Combustion engines less effective)
Locusts?
And the whole fuel issue.
Old March 19, 2002, 22:14   #30
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Well, I do think that you should need to research aircraft (due to the fuel issue), but there has never been any mention of the fungus being corrosive. Nor have there been mentions of a lot of storms - and a skimship would surely be pretty vulnerable to storms as well.