Old February 27, 2002, 17:51   #1
Gamble
Settler

Local Time: 21:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Q about production
I looked through some data dumps but didn't find this info there, so I'd like to ask here how the planet production queue is handled, and hope it's not the odd way which is used in most other cases. Like in Civ for example when you would have enough output to produce 2 units but for some odd reason they stop after the first and wait till next year to start with another.

So assuming I get directly involved and tell a planet to build 2 smaller ships and there are enough production points per turn to build both, will I have my two shiny new ships the very next turn?
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2002, 23:27   #2
LordEd
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:06
prod penalty?
Will there be any penalty for changing from one type of production to another (a la Civ) or will it be free to switch production (a la MOO2)?
Old February 28, 2002, 12:46   #3
Stormhound
Prince

Local Time: 16:06
First off, there are multiple build queues per planet...you don't build warships in the same queue as you do new buildings, for instance.

That said, yes, if there's enough money to finish two items in a turn, AND neither item has any restrictions on how fast it can be produced (the "nine women can't make a baby in one month" rule), then yes, you'll get both items done that turn.

The "switching production types" doesn't apply because of the multiple build queues. If you remove the first item in a build queue entirely, then you lose all the money you'd put into building it. If you merely bump it down to a later position, though, you don't lose any of the investment (but it stays tied to that item, it isn't shifted to the new first item in the queue).

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Last edited by Stormhound; February 28, 2002 at 13:36.
Stormhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2002, 01:38   #4
LordEd
Chieftain

Excellent...
Thank you for the enlightening reply Stormhound. This does seem like a much more realistic production process. In World War II, the US would not be able to switch production between the Manhatten Project and the building of the Liberty ships... and its great that what is put into one thing will not be shifted to other projects.
Old March 12, 2002, 06:48   #5
Zealot
King

Local Time: 22:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Stormhound
First off, there are multiple build queues per planet...you don't build warships in the same queue as you do new buildings, for instance.

That said, yes, if there's enough money to finish two items in a turn, AND neither item has any restrictions on how fast it can be produced (the "nine women can't make a baby in one month" rule), then yes, you'll get both items done that turn.
So, how's it going to be built? In MOO2, all you needed to do was to put some popualtion on industry, and that was waht said how long would something take to produce. How different is it going to be in MOO3? Or is it with pop too?
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2002, 11:25   #6
Stormhound
Prince

To start with, you get a very low base level of production just from having people on the planet (and no, you don't have to shift people around between jobs as in MOO2).

To improve that, you build one or more Manufacturing DEAs (DEA = Dominant Economic Activity...think of it as zoning). That improves your production rate for the planet.

Then you can build various buildings (as you discover the required tech) inside the DEA which further boost production.

That's part of the equation; the other part is money. Your "production base" determines how efficiently your money gets spent; you can "overdrive" your production but it costs you increasingly more to do so. So if you have lots of cash but a low production rate, you can burn through the cash to make up for it. If you don't have much cash, though, you won't be able to produce much regardless.

That's about as detailed as I can get for you at this point. It's a much more intricate system than in prior MOOs.

Old March 12, 2002, 11:49   #7
Zealot
King

Local Time: 22:06
How about if I run out of money?
Will it halt production, as if I pushed something down the queue, and keep its production for later, or will I lose it all?
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2002, 12:32   #8
Stormhound
Prince

It'll just halt production and wait for money to show up so it can resume.

Old March 13, 2002, 10:09   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Stormhound
the "nine women can't make a baby in one month" rule

For some reason, that struck me as really funny!!
Old March 13, 2002, 13:26   #10
Stormhound
Prince

Me too. It's just one example of why I enjoyed so much my first opportunity to read Alan's design work (he loves little quotes like that), and eventually to join the design team. It's been a whole lot of fun playing around inside the workings of his mind, and we've complemented each other's styles pretty nicely.

Old March 13, 2002, 16:41   #11
tishco
Prince

Local Time: 21:06
this has probably been anwered before but:

can you still see your planets city area like in MOO2?

i heard somewhere there is regions on a planet, do they produce different things?
formerlyanon@hotmail.com
tishco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2002, 16:53   #12
Stormhound
Prince

It won't be quite like MOO2, no, but I can't give specifics.

The regions don't specifically produce different things (at least, not in the sense of production that we've been discussing here), but you can "zone" them differently (or all the same if you wish) to turn the overall output of the planet in different directions. Also, different regions can have different attributes and special bonuses.

It's really a pretty nifty system.

Old March 13, 2002, 20:31   #13
LordEd
Chieftain

Industrial Slums?
Would there be certain penalties for some areas as well? Perhaps your population would prefer to move out of an area zoned as heavy industrial in favor of an area zoned as garden or park (etc).
Old March 14, 2002, 09:44   #14
Stormhound
Prince

There are never more than 12 regions on a planet, so regions are pretty big. People will move around for various reasons, but the "zoning" isn't generally one of them.

Old March 18, 2002, 12:56   #15
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 17:06
Wow. Sounds like quite a lot has gone into this.
Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for the updates!!!

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
GodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2002, 12:53   #16
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 17:06
Good stuff! MoO3 is sounding very good (not that it ever sounded bad). You guys are finally 'getting' it as far as what fans have been wanting in their 4.. er.. 5x games.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote