Old February 27, 2002, 19:13   #1
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 17:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Confused about luxury resources
I'm trying to understand how trading luxury resources works. The Civilopedia says when you trade luxury resources, in addition to the happy faces you get a bonus food, shield, and/or commerce for every tile worked in every city depending on the resource. However, I never see an adjustment to my income in the F1 Domestic Advisor screen after acquiring a resource. No additional gold, science, nothing. The cities dont reflect any additional shield if you get Furs or food if you get Wine. Is this working properly? If all I get for a resource is happy faces, I'm not going to pay the AI 1200 gold for 20 turns of Dyes if I can help it.
Old February 27, 2002, 19:19   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:07
I didn't think that trading for resources offered any bonuses other than happy faces for luxuries and the ability to build units with strategics. The only bonus they give, I think, is if you have one in a city radius and a worker works it...
Old February 28, 2002, 04:58   #3
Tarquelne
Warlord

Local Time: 16:07
It's probably a giraffe problem.
It's probably a connection problem. Are you sure your computer has a fully functional TCP/IP connection when you play? Whether the civ-wide bonus is food, sheilds, science or free units depends partially on a random seed, partially on the date - both of which the game can get from your computer, and partially on Infogrames current stock price - and that has to be downloaded. If your TCP/IP connection isn't working right, or you just don't have one, then the game functions as ixnay37 decribed.

All the odd numbered ixnays give good advice. Usually.
Old February 28, 2002, 05:25   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 14:07
place citizen on resource square and get bonus

no citizen = no shield/food/trade bonus

edit: I used the wrong word.
Old February 28, 2002, 13:31   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:07
Umm...

When you trade for a luxury (lets say you give wines to India in exchange for incense), all you get is the "happy" effect for your citizens. Any trade, food or shield bonus is connected to the terrain tiles themselves. As the incense terrain tiles are in India, you aren't gonna get anything of that sort. But you will get another happy face (or faces, depending on how many luxuries you have access to and whether or not you have marketplaces).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.