Old December 30, 2000, 12:51   #1
Sir Shiva

Financial Victory
Another type of victory path could be Financial Victory, which would require a certain amount of money for so many turns, a certain number of franchises, factories, exports etc.

Economics is one of the least developed aspects of the game. I'm no economist, but does anyone know of a way to incorporate things like foreign exchange, trade deficits, realistic export/import, etc into the game without over-emphasising it? How about multi-national corporations and foreign investment? I wish I had some ideas...

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@shivamail.com
Web: http://www.shivamail.com

Old December 31, 2000, 02:41   #2
Biddles
Prince

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is possible in SMAC, it is the economic victory. The ammount of cash is the ammount that was be needed to mind control every city on planet.
Old January 1, 2001, 10:32   #3
Sir Shiva

That's hardly what I had in mind...

In the later part of the game it should be a possible path to follow. Just like in real life. Nobody now dreams of conquering the entire world with armies. Rather, multi-nationals do all the take-overs. Shouldn't something like that be represented in Civ3?

------------------
-Shiva

Old January 1, 2001, 16:24   #4
Dom Pedro II
King

I thought about an economic victory, and thats not very long-lasting. I mean, if you conquer the world... that's it. If you send a space ship, you did it first. If you get every country to ally itself with you, you've become the leader without fighting... but HOW do you a financial victory. For example, currently the U.S. has achieved this sort of financial victory, but its nothing more than the periodic dominance of one country. Sooner or later, the U.S. will decline, and somebody else will become the economic leader. May take a while, but it'll happen. So a Financial victory would never be too permanent.
Old January 2, 2001, 01:30   #5
timfry

I don't quite understand Sir Shiva.

Yes in real life multinationals have begun to be more powerful than nations, but they are companies not nations, empires, or civs. In Civ you are trying to create a lasting nation. How would you transition from leading a nation to leading a corporation?

As I presently understand it, I am against taking over the world as a multinational, but again maybe I am not quite getting it.

Old January 2, 2001, 04:35   #6
colossus
Warlord

Sir Shiva, if you think of economic victory, it is more viable by way of production rather than money. Afterall, bullion is only the mean of exchange, not the end of economics, which is production and distribution.

How about the victory condition of say, achieving 10000 shields a turn? Of course it is variable to map size.
Old January 2, 2001, 06:43   #7
Youngsun
Prince

Anyone interested in mycorporate warfare thread?

Old January 2, 2001, 10:21   #8
Sir Shiva

I get your points... Forget about this financial victory.

------------------
-Shiva