Old December 24, 2000, 02:59   #1
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The 'Terrain Workshop'
Not nearly as excentric as the Unit Workshop, but here goes:

A terrain is composed of 4 basic things: Base, Upper layer, Improovments (unimproovments), Resources.

Base: Rock, Dirt, Grass, Water, Desert

Upper layer: Forest, Swamp, Water (river), Ice, None

Improovments: Cold(between Ice and no Ice), Pollution, Land Mines, other terrain imp's.

Resources: Exactly that.

Some terrains cause damage, though no more than 1/4-3/4 the total hp of the unit (diseases/freezing/overheating). These include Mines(3/4 hp), cold(1/2 hp), ice(2/3 hp), pollution(1/3), swamp(1/2), desert(1/4).

Air units are immune to such damages. Also, certain advances negate damage from certain terrains.

Comments, Suggestions?
Old December 24, 2000, 07:10   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by airdrik on 12-24-2000 01:59 AM
Not nearly as excentric as the Unit Workshop, but here goes:

I think this idea is MORE excentric then the Unit Workshop.

------------------------------------- edited:
I partly take that back. If these maps are created by human map-creators, then its OK. This idea together with the idea in the "Vote: should the map-generator be scrapped?" thread, perhaps? Im not that sure, however: i am all for the KISS "keep it simple stupid" game-develop formula.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited December 24, 2000).]
Old December 24, 2000, 15:56   #3
eNo
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:39
Seeing as I've seen it twice, I'll have to ask waht does "excentric" mean? or do you mean "eccentric"?

I'm reminded during the Map dicucssions on the old Firaxis boards that somebody mentioned a similar system.

It was kind of like SMAC but even more extensive. I think it was:

Rainfall
Rockiness/Soil
Elevation
Temperature
Vegetation

and then improvements/resources/specials on top. There would be different tile graphics for different combinations and even though that would mean a lot, the maps would be beautiful.

I'm thinking that Elevation should be replaced by Topography because elevation implies that the entire square has that elevation and therefore mountains arn't done very well (see SMAC)
Old December 24, 2000, 17:41   #4
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:39
quote:

Originally posted by eNo on 12-24-2000 02:56 PM
Seeing as I've seen it twice, I'll have to ask waht does "excentric" mean? or do you mean "eccentric"?

You absolutely right. Well, english is not my native language.

quote:

It was kind of like SMAC but even more extensive.

Personally, i dont want the wavy SMAC terrain-solution in Civ-3. I prefer the Civ-2/CTP-2 solution, but with small elevation-increments depending on terrain-type.

Basically: less "wavy", and more "engraved" look.
Old December 25, 2000, 00:06   #5
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 20:39
quote:

I'm reminded during the Map dicucssions on the old Firaxis boards that somebody mentioned a similar system.

Rainfall
Rockiness/Soil
Elevation
Temperature
Vegetation

and then improvements/resources/specials on top.

See TERRAIN AND TERRAIN IMPROVEMENTS in the other forum. It was mentioned here, too.

quote:

There would be different tile graphics for different combinations and even though that would mean a lot, the maps would be beautiful.

Hopefully beautiful, but possibly cluttered. We'll have to wait and see...
Old December 25, 2000, 15:25   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:39
IF the 'resources' in certain squares could shift over years to "Pheasant-Grain-Pheasant-Grain-Oil-Pheasant" it would also be interesting.
Old December 27, 2000, 16:52   #7
eNo
Chieftain

Ralf - I agree that the SMAC elevations wern't that hot. I like true mountains, hills and plains. Which is why I suggested topography in instead (plains, mountainous, hilly). I havn't played CTP so I can't comment on the etched map steps but I hear it's pretty good. I the map steps get combined with topography we can have some nice plateaus.

Theben - I thought that forum kinda died down since there doesn't seem to be much activity there. Guess I'm wrong . I'll go check it out.
Old December 27, 2000, 22:40   #8
Theben
Deity

quote:

Originally posted by eNo on 12-27-2000 03:52 PM
Theben - I thought that forum kinda died down since there doesn't seem to be much activity there. Guess I'm wrong . I'll go check it out.

It kinda DID die out, but the ideas remain, and remain valid. You SHOULD go check them out.

Old December 28, 2000, 05:33   #9
markusf
King

Only thing i hate on maps, is stuff like tundra appearing in the center of the map out of nowhere!. here is a example

Old December 29, 2000, 00:36   #10
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:39
quote:

Rainfall
Rockiness/Soil
Elevation
Temperature
Vegetation

and then improvements/resources/specials on top. There would be different tile graphics for different combinations and even though that would mean a lot, the maps would be beautiful.

That suggestion has more to do with the atmospheric aspects, while my idea has more to do with the physical aspects of the terrain.

quote:

I'm thinking that Elevation should be replaced by Topography because elevation implies that the entire square has that elevation and therefore mountains aren't done very well (see SMAC)

I forgot about elevation, though. I don't think hills/mountains/lowlands can be incoropated in my idea without revampment. Perhaps 3 types of 'elevations': flat, bumpy, steep rise (tiles on opposite sides of a steep rise will be different hights)
Old December 31, 2000, 01:32   #11
eNo
Chieftain

airdrik - True the model that I brought up has more weather involved whereas your system does concentrate more on the effects of different physical results. I like the idea of hostile terrain though I hope there's a less gameplay fustrating way to model it instead of just pinging it with damage and sending it back to town to heal before it dies. Slowing was one way it was modelled. Maybe the supply lines that were mentioned could control how much damage the unit takes. Good lines = no damage kind of thing. Your elevations thing is basically topography. The shape of the land instead of the placement of the land.

markusf - What version of CivII is that? The graphics are different from what I've grown to love!
Old December 31, 2000, 04:01   #12
markusf
King

Just added my own graphics... Got sick and tired of the crappy ones in civ2 you just need to change a few gif files.
[This message has been edited by markusf (edited December 31, 2000).]
Old January 3, 2001, 03:03   #13
Theben
Deity

Hey, I think I like those fish, corn, and hut .gifs. Are they available to download?
Old January 3, 2001, 19:53   #14
markusf
King

http://216.232.0.147/brushup.zip

and a thread on my "mod pack"
with more images http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum4/HTML/001033.html?11