Old March 1, 2002, 00:50   #1
Avahz_D

Is this a bug or
am I missing something?

I am using the new patch and I cant get the science advisor to leave my science rating alone.

I changed the science levels for the governments to reflect IMHO a better system. In my game my government is Despotism and I have the science level set at 50% max. Well currently at that level I will be haveing a negtive income flow, so I set it to 30% so I can get back into money making. If I dont do this I will be in the negative (seeing that I now am having to pay other civs for advances with the new patch) and will have to sell buildings. Thats not a problem, but EACH turn my science rating is set back to 50%, so I have to manually reset it to 30% EACH turn.

Is this a bug or is there an option somewhere that I have missed?

Thanks...

Old March 1, 2002, 00:58   #2
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 16:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Curious. Are you sure no governors are active for that town/city???
Old March 1, 2002, 01:00   #3
Avahz_D

It has nothing to do with a city, its my Civ's overall science rating. The one you set in your advisor's screen =)

Old March 1, 2002, 01:07   #4
Patashu
Warlord

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do the math. If Sci = 30%, then Taxes must = 70%, which is over the limit, so it sets it back.
Old March 1, 2002, 01:18   #5
Avahz_D

Math was done...

As I said I set the government MAX from 10 to 5 in the editor. Doing this stops you from setting your science level over 50% (no 70% is possible under this). My Luxeries were set at 0%, my science was MAXED out at 50%. I had negative income so I lowered it to 30% so the game would not automatically sell my buildings when my gold went below 0 ( I was "making -7 gold per round at 50% sci, at 30% sci I was making a +5 per round). The problem is that the Science advisor kept undoing my 30% and forcing a 50% science rating EACH new round. I had to manually RESET it to 30% EACH round to offset the what the science advisor was doing.

Like I said, is this a bug or is there a command I am missing somewhere?

Old March 1, 2002, 05:09   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:11
Quote:
I changed the science levels for the governments
Probably a bug/side affect of your tweak.
Old March 1, 2002, 09:19   #7
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
Maybe you can't set ANYTHING higher than 50%. Not even Tax. Which would be quite strange. But it would explain this.

Have you tried setting science to 30% and luxury to 20% and checked if it still reverts back to 50% science?
Old March 1, 2002, 10:49   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:11
In Civ II the goverment tax slider limit worked like that. Despotism was max of 60% IIRC. In other words, you could set science at 60% max, or taxes, or luxuries. It capped them all. Thus, if you set it to 50%, you're locked in. That's if CivIII works the same way. Otherwise, yeah, it's a bug.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 2, 2002, 22:40   #9
Avahz_D

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd Hawks
Maybe you can't set ANYTHING higher than 50%. Not even Tax. Which would be quite strange. But it would explain this.

Have you tried setting science to 30% and luxury to 20% and checked if it still reverts back to 50% science?
I have tried that and its like you said nothing can be set above 50% TOTAL.

Now call my a dummy but I didnt think you could tweek the tax rate in the game (only lux and sci rates)? If so that may be what I am missing out on...

Edit: No matter what though (if tax isnt the issue here) the game forces me to have a TOTAL sci or lux at 50%. For example I can not set lux at 20% and Sci at 10%, it always defaults Sci to 30% (or a max of 50% if lux is at 0%) my next round. It does not do Lux like this, it allows it to stay static.

Old March 2, 2002, 23:44   #10
Bane Star
Warlord

Local Time: 06:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Maybe I'm misreading you But....

Quote:
No matter what though (if tax isnt the issue here) the game forces me to have a TOTAL sci or lux at 50%. For example I can not set lux at 20% and Sci at 10%, it always defaults Sci to 30% (or a max of 50% if lux is at 0%) my next round. It does not do Lux like this, it allows it to stay static
This sounds like your not thinking %, the total MUST equal 100, if you have 20% Lux, and 10% Science and 50% Tax, that only equals 80%, So the computer will revert your moved Science back to 30% to make up the 20% difference.

If your Tax has a Maximum rate of 50% then when you move science to 30% there is also a 20% missing here, so the computer reverts to 50% to add up to 100%...
Old March 2, 2002, 23:55   #11
Avahz_D

Quote:
Originally posted by Bane Star
Maybe I'm misreading you But....

This sounds like your not thinking %, the total MUST equal 100, if you have 20% Lux, and 10% Science and 50% Tax, that only equals 80%, So the computer will revert your moved Science back to 30% to make up the 20% difference.

If your Tax has a Maximum rate of 50% then when you move science to 30% there is also a 20% missing here, so the computer reverts to 50% to add up to 100%...

Ok first before this gets confusing...

Is there a way to set the tax rate in the game proper while playing? If so then I will need to go and retest this.

If not then the game is forcing me to have a Max rate of ANYTHING at 50%. It will not let me go below it.

Old March 2, 2002, 23:57   #12
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Avahz_D
Math was done...

As I said I set the government MAX from 10 to 5 in the editor. Doing this stops you from setting your science level over 50% (no 70% is possible under this). My Luxeries were set at 0%, my science was MAXED out at 50%. I had negative income so I lowered it to 30% so the game would not automatically sell my buildings when my gold went below 0 ( I was "making -7 gold per round at 50% sci, at 30% sci I was making a +5 per round). The problem is that the Science advisor kept undoing my 30% and forcing a 50% science rating EACH new round. I had to manually RESET it to 30% EACH round to offset the what the science advisor was doing.

Like I said, is this a bug or is there a command I am missing somewhere?
Patashu has already told you. That rate cap doesn't just affect your Science levels, it affects all your levels. So having 70% tax means your 20% over the limit you set yourself. So the game has to bring it back down. I made the same mistake myself until Soren straightened me out.
Old March 3, 2002, 00:03   #13
Avahz_D

Ok let me restate this in another way..

Even IF my tax rate is 70% then the game should not BOOST my sci ratint to 50% Every turn. Its not lowering it to 20% as what would happen if my tax rate was too high. With a tax of 70% and I lower my sci to say 30%, that would give me 100% (thats what I want), but the game keeps boosting my science to 50% setting things up to 120%. As I said I dont remember anywhere you could edit your tax rate. I only know of Science and Luxeries... If there is any tell me where its at. I have poured over the net and the game book, but no info...

Old March 4, 2002, 07:43   #14
Willem
Emperor

Well I sympathize, I really do. I ran into the same problem myself, and when I figured it was some sort of bug, I trashed my mod after spending a couple of months of work on it. But at the moment, that rate cap affects every maximum level in the game, not just the Science. If you set it at 5, anything over 50% in the game, whether it's Science, Tax, or Luxury, will force the game to reset the slider. I wish it weren't so, but that's the way it is. That particular setting is useless as it is, I don't even know why they bothered to put it in there.
Old March 4, 2002, 07:58   #15
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
Avahz, you evidently don't fully understand the system.

There is no tax rate that you can set. Tax rate is just
100 - science rate - luxury rate.

And none of these values (tax, science, luxury) can be above 50% with your setting.

So the game does NOT boost your science rate to 50% while keeping your tax rate at 70%.
It lowers your tax rate to match the 50% you set in the editor and then it has to put the 20% left over (70-50=20) somewhere else and this by default is science.

So after this you have
50% tax (70 old - 20 to match the required 50) and
50% science (30 old + 20 from tax from the line above).

Hope this clears things up.
Old March 4, 2002, 11:45   #16
Avahz_D

Thanks fellas that clears things up quite a bit... I was under the assumption that "tax" is gotten by the amount of gold you got from your cities and from that gold it can be devided up.

When I set it to 50% I was trying to achive a MAX total of 50% for both Sci and Lux rates for despotism to slow the high tech rate that patch has pushed on us. I was trying to achieve a Sci of 30% and a Lux of 0% with the other20% going into my bank as gold to bring my back into the postive cash flow...

Old March 4, 2002, 13:19   #17
Willem
Emperor

A better approach to slow things down is to increase the beaker costs of the techs in the advances section, and/or adjusting the tech rate in the world sizes area. Or you can try increasing the cost of the units, that seems to work as well.
Old March 4, 2002, 15:54   #18
Avahz_D

Humm, thanks william I will try that...