Old October 3, 2000, 16:56   #1
Stefan

Odd Problem: Ancient Victories
I play civ2 lot of times on deity level. But now my skills such fare in "conquer the world" (my favorite game goal), that a almost win in the middle of the 18th century, even without rail road, engineers and cavalry invented !

How can I stronger the computer players to reach carrier conflicts, that I like so much (in past) ?

Some of my own ideas:

- start with a period of 50 rounds of lethargy (just -ing til round ends; quickstart ?)
- avoid myself to invent gun powder, since it's the only invention left
- til a certain date (1000 A.D.) limit the number of my (self-found) cities to 10
- til a certain date (1000 A.D.) don't allow myself, that an offensive troop leave my cities
- til a certain date (1000 A.D.) left be one of my citizen an elvis
- never leave Monarcy, if reached (bad for invention)
- restart with new game, til I start at a little island and wait there til someone (non barbarian), that visit me
- give away all my invention to enemies

Please mail me our suggestions!

------------------
Stefan, the horrible

Old October 3, 2000, 18:00   #2
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 17:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
You could always try some of the challenges put forth by in the strategy forum. They cover all sorts, although OCC (One City Challenge) has become a recuring event One person (Paul) managed to win an OCC game while staying in despotism the entire time, thereby combining the despotism challenge with OCC

Also, DaveV has put forth a AI head-start challenge, with downloadable setup, which has so far presented a quite a challenge to some of the best diety players, although 2 players have managed to win in a long, drawn-out game.

For other challenges, someone (GP i think) won while pressing return until 500 AD. Or you could try the 0-city challenge, where you wipe out all the AI without ever founding or capturing a city. (works best on a small map, since you need all the AI to be on the same continent as you - has been done before 1 AD) Just look around and I'm sure you'll find something interesting.

------------------
Sleep is a luxury and I don't have Shakespeare's Theatre in my back yard.

[This message has been edited by SCG (edited October 03, 2000).]
Old October 3, 2000, 18:46   #3
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 22:43
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
quote:

Originally posted by SCG on 10-03-2000 06:00 PM
Or you could try the 0-city challenge, where you wipe out all the AI without ever founding or capturing a city.

Not founding any city, ok. But you also mean that you don't capture them if they're not size one. And that you reload if you get an advanced tribe ?
Looks quite hard indeed.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old October 3, 2000, 18:47   #4
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:43
Scenarios.2194 days of war,red front or second front.

Give away all your military techs.Help the ai along.

Yes DaveV's headstart is pretty tough.
Old October 4, 2000, 06:40   #5
Stefan

quote:

Originally posted by SCG on 10-03-2000 06:00 PM
[...] OCC
[...] DaveV

Sounds all pretty interesting, thanx.
I visited Paul's site. OCC seems to me a little bit too hard. And, like he said by himself, I guess it is a complete different game (no carriers ).
Maybe start with OCC for 100 Rounds or so, and then returning to normal game, is a good beginning.

Where can I found DaveV's setup ? (Is it a patch ?)

------------------
Stefan, the horrible

Old October 4, 2000, 07:11   #6
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Stefan - on the strategy section go to "AI head start challenge game", and you can download it from there. Good luck!
-------
SG (2)
Old October 4, 2000, 08:15   #7
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 10-03-2000 06:46 PM
Not founding any city, ok. But you also mean that you don't capture them if they're not size one. And that you reload if you get an advanced tribe ?
Looks quite hard indeed.

Here's the thread by vik: World Conquered - 750bc - No Cities On the note of advanced tribes, it seems that unless you are playing on a Mac, you don't get advanced tribes from huts as a first city, so reloading isn't usually an issue. And vik pointed out that he had to delay several turns so that the undefended size 2 cities could build a defender before destroying them. The biggest deterrant to this challenge seems to be getting a multi-continent world, since there is no way to get a ship.
[This message has been edited by SCG (edited October 04, 2000).]
Old October 4, 2000, 16:35   #8
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Thanks SCG, it sounds challenging. I fancy I could make a gigamap with a gigacontinent to play it to the extreme !
But as reloading is concerned, I am sure I've already have gotten at least once an advanced tribe as my first city. It had a palace in it ! And I wasn't playing with a Mac, but with my good old Pentium. The version of the game was multiplayer, french edition. I think it must have happened to other people. I am definitely sure it happened to me !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old October 5, 2000, 07:56   #9
SCG
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 10-04-2000 04:35 PM
Thanks SCG, it sounds challenging. I fancy I could make a gigamap with a gigacontinent to play it to the extreme !
But as reloading is concerned, I am sure I've already have gotten at least once an advanced tribe as my first city. It had a palace in it ! And I wasn't playing with a Mac, but with my good old Pentium. The version of the game was multiplayer, french edition. I think it must have happened to other people. I am definitely sure it happened to me !

well, that debunks the mac-only theory, although we could modify it to be the Mac or MGE theory Several of the mac users that got capitals from huts were playing multiplayer. Still haven't heard of anyone with 2.42 on a PC having that happen. I know it hasn't happened to me

------------------
Sleep is a luxury and I don't have Shakespeare's Theatre in my back yard.
Old October 5, 2000, 10:52   #10
Stefan

Last evening I start my first trial on: "penalty game (for carriers)":
My first penalty is:
[bold]I have to build at first a wonder (useally the colossus) before it is allowed to build the first settler[/bold](in addition: it isn't allowed to settle down the second settler.)

btw.: I finished the colossus at 575 BC. This OCC thing must be a really hard one! Next time better. (This time just testing a little bit.)

One variation would be:
[bold]it's only allowed to start/finished a settler if I own the Top 1 city[/bold] (therefore: needed wonders and happines! Times becomes pretty hard, if the AI builds it's third wonder in it's capital. )

Continue testing .....

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited October 05, 2000).]

Old October 5, 2000, 10:59   #11
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 19:43
quote:

Originally posted by SCG on 10-05-2000 07:56 AM
Still haven't heard of anyone with 2.42 on a PC having that happen.

I have, in versions 2.42, 2.62 and the original one. didn't start any new games having discovered huts before first city now i have FW.