Old March 1, 2002, 07:42   #1
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AH's thread closed? Non-community related Civ discussion.
Not that the question hadn't been answered, but AH had a valid point ( Lets not waste it...)
Not just for comparisons, but a generic Civ forum, which is really nothing to do with the community would be really nice.

It has all sorts of potential in relation to all sorts of things.

- Comparisons
- non-game-specific strategies
- Tech tree discussion, not necessarily related to any game
- Unit, building, wonder, terrain improvement discussion, preferences, ideal game etc. (like creation, but not for any specific game)
- age preference
- scenario design tips

Whatever, but not everything needs a specific game platform to be a valid Civ discussion, and it doesn't all fit in Community
Old March 1, 2002, 07:52   #2
Zealot
King

You mean you havent talked about those subjects yet because you are afraid to spam and get a PCR?
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old March 1, 2002, 08:06   #3
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Your wasting your time IM. If I suggest something the idea is already doomed because Mark will never agree to a suggestion from old horsie.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old March 1, 2002, 08:10   #4
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 23:11
feel free to discuss non-game-specific civ-related subjects here(the "Community" title was meant to cover all that)

but please tell me:
Quote:
like???
Quote:
- scenario design tips
not related to any game?!?!
Old March 1, 2002, 08:11   #5
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 15:11
with that kind of negative attitude, maybe it's your fault civ3 has no mp

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old March 1, 2002, 09:13   #6
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
feel free to discuss non-game-specific civ-related subjects here(the "Community" title was meant to cover all that)
Okay then...
Quote:
but please tell me:
Quote:
like???
Quote:
- scenario design tips
not related to any game?!?!
1. Like when to build attack units, defensive units, or when to build buildings. How many cities to have under various conditions/games/governments. etc. Cross-platform OCC maybe. Possibly not the best category, but there isn't all too much actual strategy discussion anywhere...
2. Storylines, favourite historical eras, city placement, map sizes etc.

Also, game aspect comparison, PW vs Workers etc.
United multiplaying register, for all Civ games (except Civ3)

The possibilities are endless.

Oh yeah, one more thing. This forum attracts as many/more off-topic posters than actual on topic (especially Civ3) posters. It would be nice to have a Civ forum which is not mixed all up with "My thread was closed" threads and that sort of stuff.
Old March 1, 2002, 19:14   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 21:11
IT could also be used to comparee civ and alphacentauri and other civ-like games without cluttering this Apolyton/Community forum.

And it could have civ-history, etc. as IW said.
Old March 1, 2002, 20:51   #8
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
And it could have civ-history, etc. as IW said.
Knew I forgot something. It can double as a history forum, for all those history quizzes, discussions (not "Who won in Vietnam", but actual history) questions, etc.
Old March 2, 2002, 01:30   #9
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
One thing I'd like to see discussed more is the kind of game you could build taking the best elements of Civ 2 and 3, CTP and maybe Smac.

I'd also like to see more debate about which is the best TBS game.

Those threads are lost on this forum - not many people come here.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old March 2, 2002, 04:13   #10
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Knew I forgot something. It can double as a history forum, for all those history quizzes, discussions (not "Who won in Vietnam", but actual history) questions, etc.
Ah, yes! We could indeed very much use such a forum, the World History forum on CivFanatics is by far the best and most interesting Civ-site forum out there (after the CtP1/2 forums here on Apolyton of course )... It would be great to have something similar here on Apolyton, it would be a very useful source of information for scenario makers of all civ-games as well (most histroy buffs on 'Poly don't come to the Community forum and OT is too much of a mess, so asking history questions for scenarios isn't really possible right now).
Old March 2, 2002, 13:11   #11
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 21:11
Yes, a forum for suggestions for a Ultimate-Civ Game is sorely needed since the Civ Suggestions forum went the way of Sid Meier's Dinosaurs.
Old March 7, 2002, 09:49   #12
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Bumpety-Bump.

Civ-Gaming/Civilizations forum

pleeeeese