Old March 1, 2002, 20:03   #1
Renso
Settler

Local Time: 21:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Concept of overkill
Concept of overkill

If the next step in your research is one turn away it is possible to decrees the percentage of gold spent on research without subsequent relative decreasement of the amount of turns to the next step in research. Thus creating an extra amount of gold in your treasury.

This effect is explained as you think of it as compensation for overkill research. I refer to the amount of lost research (79) caused by the difference between needed points for the next step (1) and actually produced in the current step (80).

The same overkill effect applies to production. These production losses can be reduced by good production management, e.g. at a given production level in a city there is less loss if you choose to produce artillery in 2 turns in stead of a tank in 3 turns, while another city's production level produces both tank and artillery in 3 turns.
Old March 2, 2002, 07:28   #2
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 22:13
Yes, these are known little tricks.

The drawback is that it requires a rather excessive amount of adjusting for these losses. The benefits are there, but they are smallish to say the least.
Old March 2, 2002, 08:21   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I do turn science lower each time I'm one turn from tech, and it pays for itself... some nice money.
Old March 4, 2002, 13:58   #4
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 13:13
I turn the science rate when I am about to get a tech, get a lot of nmoney that way, but I dont every try to stop over porduction, too much micro mangement for me and the benifits dont seem all that great to be wroth the effort.