Old March 4, 2002, 07:35   #1
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 21:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I will need a ...
We need a constitution, our do will decide here!

If you think we need a constitution say what it should be!
Old March 4, 2002, 09:33   #2
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:17
All oposition will be supressed
(nice start don't you think)

Shade
Old March 4, 2002, 17:20   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 17:17
Democracy Game Constitution

"We the players of the Democratic Game in order to form a more perfect Civ2 game, establish lots of polls, ensure domestic controversy, provide for the common amusement, promote the general post count, and secure the illusion of importance to ourselves and our posterity do ordain and establish this Constitution of the Democratic Game of Apolyton."

Article 1: The Presidency

Section 1: The President

The President is the Chief Executive. In any situation the President may ask to be incuded in the decision-making process, and is the sole authority in most final decisions. Except where specifically noted, the President has veto power, but is encouraged not to use it. The President is responsible for playing the actual game and holding turn chats while doing so.

Section 2: The Vice President

The Vice President is responsible for exercising the powers of the President when the President is for whatever reason incapable of doing so.

Article 2: The Cabinet

Section 1: Department Heads

The Secretary of War is responsible for presenting the President and citizens with a detailed report on the state of the military. The Secretary of War should be present at all discussions regarding the construction, deployment, or use of military units, as well as the placement of cities and forts. The Secretary of War posts all polls regarding the deployment of military units or wonder construction.

The Foreign Minister is responsible for presenting the President and citizens with a detailed report on relations with other nations and our espionage capabilities regarding them. The Foreign Minister should be present at all discussions regarding the construction, deployment, or use of all Diplomats/Spies, or wonder construction.

The Secretary of the Interior is responsible for providing the President and citizens with a detailed report on all internal and external trade routes, the location and status of all settlers, the production queue of each city, the status of each city (Is it in WLT*D, normal, or revolt?), tax allocation, gold/turn, available food caravans, wonder opportunities, and a list of the supply/demand in every city, including foreign cities. The Secretary of the Interior should be present at all discussions regarding internal or external trade, settler allocation, city production, city creation, or wonder construction.

The Science Advisor is responsible for providing the President and citizens with a detailed report on all possible research paths, noting the military, wonder, and other benefits in choosing each path. The Science Advisor should be present at all discussions regarding research choices or wonder construction.

The Expansion Minister is responsible for providing the President and citizens with a detailed report on potential new city sites, our capability to get settlers there, and our exploration capacity. The Expansion Minister should be present at all discussions regarding exploration, city creation, or wonder construction.

Section 2: Deputy Deparment Heads

Deputy Department Heads are not required postitions. They are appointed by the Department Heads. There can be one deputy deparment head for each department. The Deputy Department Head carries out all of the functions of the Department Head when the Department Head is for any reason incapable of doing so.

Section 3: Sub-Department Heads

Sub-Department Heads are not required postitions. They are appointed by the Department Heads.

For the War Department:

The Sub-Secretary of the Army is responsible for providing the Secretary of War with all information pertinent to our ground forces. There may not be a Sub-Secretary of the Army until both Horseback Riding and Bronze Working are discovered.

The Sub-Secretary of the Navy is responsible for providing the Secretary of War with all information pertinent to our naval forces. There may not be a Sub-Secretary of the Navy until Map Making is discovered.

The Sub-Secretary of the Air Force is responsible for providing the Secretary of War with all information pertinent to our air forces. There may not be a Sub-Secretary of the Air Force until Flight is discovered.

For the Department of Foreign Affairs:

The Sub-Minister of Diplomats is responsible for providing the Foreign Minister with all information pertinent to our diplomats and the information we know about other nations through embassies. There may not be a Sub-Minister of Diplomats until Writing is discovered.

The Sub-Minister of Espionage is responsible for providing the Foreign Minister with all information pertinent to our spies. There may not be a Sub-Minister of Espionage until Espionage is discovered.

For the Department of the Interior:

The Sub-Secretary of Trade is responsible for providing the Secretary of the Interior with all information pertinent to foreign and domestic trade, including a list of all trade routes and a list of the supply and demand in all cities, foreign and domestic. There may not be a Sub-Secretary of Trade until Trade is discovered.

Article 3: States and Governors

Section 1: States

States are regional administrative areas which may contain no more than 5 cities. Each state has a governor who is the Chief Executive of that state. Each state can formulate local policy in relation to defense, trade, city improvement construction, and settler allocation.

Section 2: Governors

Governors are the Chief Exucutives of states. The governor is responsible for presenting the President and the citizens with a detailed report on all information pertinent to his or her state. The governor has the sole right to make decisions regarding martial law. The governor should be present at all discussions regarding city improvement construction, unit production, military unit deployment, settler allocation, and wonder construction in his or her state.

Article 4: Elections

Elections for President and Deparment Heads will be held every 30 days, and the polls will be open for two days. To be in the running for a post, you must be nominated and seconded. Nomination time will be in the three days preceeding the opening of the polls. The nomination time occurs during the term of the previous administration, but the game is not played while the polls are open. A person may be a candidate for only one office at a time. Elections are won by simple plurality. If there is a tie, those not tied will be out of the running and there will be another two-day voting period. This will continue until there is a winner. If the election comes to a two-person tie or goes on too long will be ended by rock-paper-scissors or something.

Article 5: Tasks that require special authorization

Section 1: Declaring War

To declare war on another country there must be a poll in which at least 20 people vote and at least 60% of the votes are for war.

Section 2: Negotiating Peace

To negotiate peace there must be a poll in which at least fifteen people vote and at least 60% of the votes are for attempting to negotiate peace. Decisions on specific deals during negotiations will be made during the turn chat.

Section 3: Wonder Construction

To begin construction of a wonder there must be a poll in which at least ten people vote and the wonder with a simple plurality will win. There must be a second poll regarding at which city the wonder should be constructed, but this poll is a normal poll.

Section 4: Nuclear Weapons

To use nuclear weapons, for the first time there must be a poll in which at least 25 people vote and at least 75% of the votes are for using nukes. Each subsequent use only requires 15 voters and at least 60% of the votes. If we are nuked first then the first authorization is bypassed and authorization is the same as subsequent nukes. If the decision must be made during the turn chat, authorization will be given by rules determined during the chat.

Last edited by Kuciwalker; March 5, 2002 at 17:47.
Old March 4, 2002, 17:47   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do we have 20 voters ever?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 4, 2002, 17:58   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:17
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

"We the people of the United States in order to form a more perfect Civ2 game, establish lots of polls, ensure domestic controversy, provide for the common amusement, promote the general post count, and secure the illusion of importance to ourselves and our posterity do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United States of Apolyton."
Booo! "United Apolyton(ia)", drop the "States"!
Old March 4, 2002, 18:06   #6
Kuciwalker
Deity

The "states" was there to make it sound better and more in rhythm with the U.S. preamble. Trust me, I tried to find something else to fit there.
Old March 4, 2002, 18:10   #7
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

United Provinces of Apolytonia? Anything but states.
Old March 4, 2002, 18:28   #8
shade
King

"United states" BOOOOOooooooo
(we will actually try to engage diplomacy considering BOTH sides)

all those sub-head=>where are we going to get them???

And 20ppl to vote with a majority of 60% yeah right

Shade
Old March 4, 2002, 18:33   #9
Kassiopeia
Emperor

True, we are lucky to get people for the posts as they are.
Old March 4, 2002, 18:37   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

In case you didn't notice, those posts were OPTIONAL.

Also, once you get more organization, more people will start voting etc.
Old March 5, 2002, 11:28   #11
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:17
Where's Article 6, " The President can override all this hooey with the click of a button" ? All told, a good draft. I think the minimum voting participation can wait, tho.

Instead of "the United States of Apolyton," just use "United Apolyton." Fewer rabble will get riled up...

Shade, I would like to be made Commander of the Air Force now. Pigeon training will begin immediately.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 5, 2002, 12:03   #12
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
Shade, I would like to be made Commander of the Air Force now. Pigeon training will begin immediately.
Herby I name you General of the Apolytonian Pigeon-fleet.(I think I still have some nasty pigeons in stock from the time I was tranning my doggies (note=> wear thick glasses to protect your eyes )

Shade
"It will happen when Hell friezes over,piggs fly through windows and chicken grow teeth...(the last one is just a minor step my pigeons already have teeth)"
Old March 5, 2002, 13:33   #13
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 23:17
Quote:

Article 4: Elections

Elections for President and Deparment Heads will be held every 30 days, and the polls will be open for two days...
A 2 days poll is better than the present 1 day polls, we have to think at the different time through the different continents.
Old March 5, 2002, 13:57   #14
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JCP

A 2 days poll is better than the present 1 day polls, we have to think at the different time through the different continents.
I have lately been doing 48 hr polls, the 24-hr ones seem to get less voters then the longer ones.
It's just that 48 hrs polls = slower bureaucracy.
Old March 5, 2002, 14:47   #15
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

There doesn't even need to be a "United" in it. We're not a united anything. We're just the Nation on Apolytonia.
Old March 5, 2002, 15:07   #16
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 16:17
When I read the draft, I too shuddered at "United States." But I flashed on something that speaks to what we really are. Thus I suggest --

United Minds of Apolyton(ia)

I also think it should start "We the players..."

Thus, the preamble would read --

"We the players of Civ2, in order to form a more perfect game, establish lots of polls, ensure domestic controversy, provide for the common amusement, promote the general post count, and secure the illusion of importance to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United Minds of Apolyton."

Reactions?

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 5, 2002, 17:49   #17
Kuciwalker
Deity

Changed the Preamble.

Also, I hope people notice the tech requirements for the Sub-Department Heads.
Old March 5, 2002, 18:36   #18
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JCP

This months elections were rushed,I know but there were only 28 days so we needed to speed up.(presidential elections every 30 days is a bad Idea=> some months have 30 other 31 days(and one 28)==> will give problems the farther we get better say we do elections every 28th or 29th for 2 days),and new terms start the 1st)

==>btw I got quite some voters to the last elections

Shade
Old March 6, 2002, 17:35   #19
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

in the poll we made we decide to be United Apolyton Republic but as we are a monarchy and we can be a fundamentalism, etc.. the Republic title was dropped

a constitution is something dangerous, but we need to get a little more organised, by the moment in our country predominates the mouth to mouth
Old March 6, 2002, 17:38   #20
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

is this one of civfanatics´??
Old March 6, 2002, 17:43   #21
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

Quote:
Except where specifically noted, the President has veto power, but is encouraged not to use it
is that true??
Old March 6, 2002, 17:51   #22
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

we are not working with states right now, we don´t have governors like in civfanatics.

and for the minimum of voters we have 12 to 14 for poll, so I don´t like a minimum number of voters

but i like the percentage required for war and the creation of nuclear weapons

I think we´ll have to make a discussion of what we like of the constitution and vote for it on a poll
Old March 9, 2002, 07:44   #23
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaka Naldur
we are not working with states right now, we don´t have governors like in civfanatics.

and for the minimum of voters we have 12 to 14 for poll, so I don´t like a minimum number of voters

but i like the percentage required for war and the creation of nuclear weapons

I think we´ll have to make a discussion of what we like of the constitution and vote for it on a poll
We really need our citizens to participate and vote when it's needed.The poll asking to vote if the cabinet should be allowed to have the saves only got 16 voters and they had 3 DAYS

Shade
Old March 9, 2002, 12:25   #24
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 16:17
What if they gave a democracy and nobody came?

I think it's commendable but foolhardy to put a min. number of poll voters into the requirements for action. Pathetic as it is, Americans regularly send paltry numbers of voters to the polls to decide critical issues. Still, the result is posted and becomes the course of action, whether it's an election, a referendum, or a funding issue.

Let's be realistic. I suggest standardizing on 2-day polls, and (with the President's wisdom/veto power acting as our check-and-balance device) just go with the result.

The game must move forward!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten