Old January 8, 2001, 16:08   #31
hHydro
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hahah... I can't believe this thread came back to life.

Of course, now that the official site is up, we have the whole panzer/abrahms and f15/MiG theory... that a particular unit may have multiple illustrations based on who built it.

Maybe Lord of the Mark can have his cake and eat it too.. Maybe one Civ builds riflemen with said 3-cornered hats, and another builds them with later 19th century dress. (Or maybe they all wear sombreros and pantaloons. Who knows. )
Old January 8, 2001, 17:48   #32
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 20:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by The Kaiser on 01-08-2001 01:41 PM
Which might not be as daft as it sounds, as it puts the Musketeer and Riflemen earlier in the timeline. Thus suggesting that there are new defensive units to bridge the gap between Riflemen and Mechanised Infantry.
[This message has been edited by The Kaiser (edited January 08, 2001).]

I would have expected an "infantry unit" to represent WWI era infantry. If rifleman is late 18thc this might suggest a late 19thc unit as well - what they'd call it i dont know? let say Zouave?

so our foot gunpowder units go musketeer (1500 - 1780)

Rifleman (1780 - 1820)

Zouaves (1820 - 1890)

Infantry (1890 - 1935)

Mech infantry (1935 - on)

This nicely distinguishes Napoleonic era foot soldiers from earlier ones (too bad the Nap. era ones didnt use rifles)

Infantry should really overlap with mech infantry.

BUt i aint gonna argue it - lets see how the game comes out first.

Anyone really interested in this stuff is encouraged to play "Age of Rifles" by Norm Kroger.

Old January 8, 2001, 18:23   #33
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by hHydro on 01-08-2001 03:08 PM
Of course, now that the official site is up, we have the whole panzer/abrahms and f15/MiG theory... that a particular unit may have multiple illustrations based on who built it.

It would seem that Firaxis wants more units in the modern ages than just a Fighter and a Bomber in the air and one tank unit. To split this into a two tank types and two plane types is perfectly acceptable in my book. There should be a change as modern technology has changed more rapidly than the past ages.

Old January 8, 2001, 22:26   #34
Chronus
Prince

"Heh. Do you write Hasbro and complain that the car token should be bigger than the thimble? "

LOL!

Hydro, I'm with you on this one. I can't believe where this thread has gone but I'm sure glad I finally ran into it!

I must have been hanging around the CTP2 forums for too long. The complaints there are quite serious: lousy AI, mediocre interface, etc. Then I come here and read complaints about what ... a STUPID HAT! I'm still laughing about it as I type! I enjoy history, but if I want serious history, I'll read a book.

My apologies to anyone I may have offended. I really don't mean to ... this thread just happen to catch me way off guard.
Old January 9, 2001, 14:57   #35
The Kaiser
Chieftain

-
[This message has been edited by The Kaiser (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old January 9, 2001, 15:00   #36
The Kaiser
Chieftain

-
[This message has been edited by The Kaiser (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old January 9, 2001, 15:02   #37
The Kaiser
Chieftain

Well if you find this thread funny, I guess you have been hanging around the CTP2 forums too long!

It seems to me that some people are destined to wander this earth with their eyes half shut, not being able understand the finer details of matters.

As I have said previously, many clues as to what the finished game will be like are contained in the graphics we've seen so far. It's just that some peoples eyes are too simple to look for them!