Old March 5, 2002, 22:09   #1
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 07:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
World At War! V1.0 BETA
Three files to download. I broke the MOD into pics, sprites & texts zips so it's more reliable on the download.

Anyways, you can get it from here:
http://ctpmodmakers.0catch.com/Dale/index.html

This is just a BETA! In my last test game (yesterday) after 150 turns I was in serious wars with 4 AI's (2 of which were using subs as prowlers around my coast), in a peace-treaty with another, and only had 6 cities. It's very hard to get a leg-up in this MOD!

The AI was constantly attacking me with stacks of up to 8 with a mix of biplanes, M1 artillery and early tanks! It was using them correctly!!!!

It was also building chemical weapons a lot too.

Anyways, give it a go. I'll attach the readme, tech tree and design notes (since the GL isn't finished) to this thread.

Dale
Attached Files:
File Type: zip readmes.zip (10.1 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Dale; March 10, 2002 at 22:33.
Old March 6, 2002, 13:03   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 23:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I took a look on the text files of your mod. I noticed that you use the Cradle version of the FortsForAIs.slc. That is not a very good idea as it gives the AI 2600 PW for free everytime it builds a for to connect its empire, use the version on my homepage for the default game, because the prize for the fort in your mod is 1000 PW like in the original game. If you don't want to download the version for the 1000 PW fort than just open the WAV_FortsForAIs.slc file and go to line 28 and alter the 3600 there to 1000. There is another problem in the Cradle version, the effect of this problem is that the for won't be created. Dave changed the order of the tile improvements in his CRA_tileimp.txt the consequence is that the fort has now the DB index 20 instead of 8 in the original game. To fix this go to line 31 and alter the number in the CreateImprovement event from 20 to 8.

The next problem is that you are using MG_KillCityOption.slc v. 1.0. I already released version 1.3 that contains also a gain of gold and PW if you attack a city and an according loss of gold and PW if you lose a city. And finally a third button if you want to move the population to your own cities. As there are no problems to use it with any mods there is only the version for the standard game.

Another problem is that you set the RIOT_LEVEL in your const.txt to 73 and the minimum happiness level that the AI has to achieve from your const.txt is 75. The result is that the AI waste resources to get a happiness level in each of its cities of 75 as minimum although it has just to achieve a happiness level of 73.

Here are some other settings in your strategies.txt that are not optimal:

Code:
    // bonus for building road tile improvements
    RoadUtilityBonus  200

// bonus for building production tile improvements
    ImproveProductionBonus  150

// bonus for building growth tile improvements
    ImproveGrowthBonus  100
I would use 300 for the road priority, 120 for production and 130 for food improvements as Wes did it. Another problem is that the AI doesn't place any commerce tile improvements in your mod, there is a sollution on my homepage for the default game, that should also work in your mod. Of course I have admit that the code is not the optimal sollution for that problem but I have no time to make a better sollution.

You should also check out Wes (MedPack 2.1) and my(GoodMod 0.98 textupdate) strategies.txt for new goals.

-Martin
Old March 6, 2002, 16:24   #3
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 21:22
Dale:

Many thanks for the release of this Mod I have been anxiously waiting for it.

However, as per Martin's comments, I will wait until some adjustments to your Mod have been made (which I am sure will be done in no time).

I hope a reasonable compromise/adjustment can be made.

Thanks
Old March 6, 2002, 18:44   #4
Dale
Emperor

Martin:

Thanks for the updates mate. I'll get them into the first update.

Leonidas:

No probs. But the only thing wrong with that theory is if everyone does that then no-one will test it and I won't know what else needs changing.
Old March 6, 2002, 21:52   #5
Dale
Emperor

V1.01 update!
Okay, here's the first update. It contains everything that Martin said above.

Just unzip to Call to Power 2 directory.

NOTE: I can't guarentee this update works since I haven't tested it at home (I'm at work). However, I can't see anything that would cause an error.

Let me know how you go. Read "WAW Version Changes.txt" for what's been updated.

Dale
Attached Files:
File Type: zip waw v1.0 - v1.01 update.zip (31.0 KB, 68 views)
Old March 7, 2002, 04:06   #6
Leonidas
King

Hi Dale:

I figured the changes suggested by Martin would be done pretty fast. So I'm downloading everything as I type this

I don't know how much time I'll have to play it in the next couple of days, but I'll certainly try my best

Many thanks for the work. . .
Old March 7, 2002, 21:54   #7
Dale
Emperor

Dale's CTP2 MOD site!
In the trend of others here, I'm opening my own website dedicated to my work on CTP2. I'll be uploading all my scripts, MODS and whatever.

You can find it here:
http://dale-ctp2.0catch.com/

There isn't much there yet, just a link to the WAW download page.
Old March 9, 2002, 08:20   #8
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

It sounds great but unfortunately I don't have time to play now. I will definitely try them as soon as I get the chance though...
Old March 10, 2002, 10:40   #9
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
Dale, when I try to access your site it gives me a "File Not Found" error, with Zero Catch logo. I would like to test your mod. This may be my return to CTP2 after many months.

Alex.
Old March 10, 2002, 11:35   #10
Leonidas
King

Hi Dale:

I started playing last night. Great Mod. The AI is very aggressive, and I am only playing on "Hard" with 10 civs. It's great to play with all the toys in the modern era. . . The AI attacks with stacks. If I am using planes, the AI will attack with stacks that include mobile SAM units.

Just two things so far:

1) In GL: If I click on Propoganda I get a SLIC error - {null}:2764: Building not found in Building DB

2) Just curious: In the year indicator - is it possible to specify the actual years such as 1900, 1901. . . etc as time passes?

Right now, the turns are indicated by either just the turn itself (ie turn 55), or the game starts at "0 AD" and progresses from that point.

Great work

Last edited by Leonidas; March 10, 2002 at 12:07.
Old March 10, 2002, 12:43   #11
yservel
Settler

Hi, I downloaded the mod. It looks great but I didn't manage to load the game with this mod via the modswapper. Some slic files seems to be missing. Where may I get those slic files?

Many thx...
Old March 10, 2002, 13:22   #12
yservel
Settler

or more exactely several functions seem to be missing.

Destroybuilding in the WAW_capturecity.slc

getpersonaliity, GetAgreementDuration, GetStopReasearchingAdvance in WAW_diplomod.slc

and many other function in the WAW_Frenzy.slc file and WAW_CompImpSForAIs.slc (tileHasImprovement)
Old March 10, 2002, 13:29   #13
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

yservel did you installed the CTP1 patch, if not no mod will work on your setup.

-Martin
Old March 10, 2002, 17:22   #14
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 22:22
WOWZERS!!

I played a few turns of this mod at Very Hard level, and was playing my normal game of "figure out how hard this will be", so I took a french city...

Five turns later, and I have stacks of 7 field artillery and fascists (french of course) wandering through my territory.

At which point I though to myself "Ah, that would be the frenzy kicking in, lets get some defenses up while they pilage my railways, and then prepare to counterattack"

And then the barbarians started arriving. The fascists I could cope with. The tanks were a bit annoying, but I draw the line at hover inf in 1950

Then the french started taking my cities...

I lost 3 (including my capital) before I went into the scenario editor and reverted to being the barbarians for a few turns, and the game degenerataed a bit.

I think I'll play to win next time. I think the Frenzy code works a lot better with fast units. It the ancient ages, things go faster than units. With units with 4 movement points, Frenzy is dangerous.

Nice mod Dale!
Old March 10, 2002, 18:30   #15
yservel
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
yservel did you installed the CTP1 patch, if not no mod will work on your setup.

-Martin
I had two version of ctp2 that was probably the problem...

I begun a new game. It looks great. However, I already found a bug:

I visited two huts and two units have joined my glorious empire:

A samourai and a... warwalker!!! On the twelveth turn I already "conquered a great nation"...
Old March 10, 2002, 19:24   #16
Dale
Emperor

Nice to hear it's a bit of a challange. Told you the AI knew how to attack.

I'm working on the 1.02 update, and have a heap of bug fixes. One I found that impacts the game pretty badly is:
- Early Tank currently expires with Electronic warfare. It should be Motorised warfare. If anyone wants to fix it, in units.txt go to UNIT_EARLY_TANK_WAW and change ObsoleteAdvance ADVANCE_MOTOR_WAR_WAW.

To whoever mentioned the error for Propeganda:
- Read the readme.txt. It's a known bug.

Year dates:
- I mentioned in the readme.txt to click on the date field to turn it to Turns. However, I found a SLIC event to automatically change it.

Rouge units:
- I'd already noticed that, and have put in a catch for it.

EDIT:
I've updated the download link. The so 'n so's at 0catch deleted my site. Download can be done here: http://ctpmodmakers.0catch.com/Dale/index.html

Last edited by Dale; March 10, 2002 at 22:35.
Old March 11, 2002, 11:52   #17
Leonidas
King

Hi Dale:

Here is my setup:

I'm playing on "Hard" with 10 civs on a huge map with a lot of ocean, islands. I'm on turn 90 AD.

1) The AI develops its land and infrastructure extremely well. The civs close to me on land have attacked me ruthlessly.

2) However, I noticed several things:

* The AI usually only defends its cities with a couple of weak units. Repeatedly, I would attack a 14 size city only to find it being defended by two missiles! These are very weak at defense. I wiped out two civs on my continent very easily, even though they should have had very strong defenses (ie they had huge cities and were very advanced tech-wise).

* The AI often had several chemical missiles (which are offensive units) but didn't attack my units with it, even though I was clearly pillaging its city improvements and/or about to attack its cities.

* At sea, only one civ (the Irish) was using subs. All other civs seemd to be using transport ships. At least, this is all I saw. I don't know whether they were moving settlers/military units or not. But not a single civ built a battleship and no other civ (other than the Irish) built a sub. There were simply no battles at sea, even with civs I was at war with, and even when they had lots of coastal cities.

Questions:

1) Does the AI in CTP2 handle ocean/ships very well? Can it be adjusted to build offensive ships that it will use?

2) Can the AI be given priority to build the proper defensive units? It often uses missiles or planes with which to defend cities, and seems to spend too much time building city improvements and/or sending every single unit it builds to harass a city I own. By turn 50, the AI would often send a single arty to attack one of my cities that had 4 defenders. . .

I am very sure that if I had played at a higher difficulty level and with mostly land mass, I would have been battling for my life

But it would be nice to play in an "island setting" and know that the AI will give you a run for your money (ie using offensive subs, battleships and invasions)

Thanks for the work you've put into this mod

Last edited by Leonidas; March 11, 2002 at 12:11.
Old March 11, 2002, 21:42   #18
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Hmm, not a lot of posts in this forum for the past couple of days. I guess everybody's busy playing something.

Great work, Dale!

I do have a suggestion though. I think you should consider putting Martin's Goods.slc into your mod. It's not that cpu intensive at all and it really adds a lot to the map.
Old March 12, 2002, 00:47   #19
Dale
Emperor

Peter:

Thanks for the compliment. Means a lot coming from a xpert like yourself. As for Martin's goods.slc, it is in the pipeline. Most likely for the release. I want one more beta (1.02 that I'm working on) before I look at a release version.

As for unit build lists of the AI, I'm experimenting with a piece of SLIC that does this for the AI to try to better the AI's unit-army compositions in situations:

- Looks at current player (CP) versus #1 military player (1MP).
- If CP's number of military units / number of cities are less than 1MP's number of military units / cities then check composition of CP's offense/defense/ranged/sea/air categories.
- If CP's offense/defense/ranged/sea/air ratios aren't approximately: 25%/30%/20%/15%/10% (eg. defense ratio is 25%)
- Set new strategic state which only dictates BuildListSequenceElements with specific priorities (eg. 12000 for UNIT_BUILD_LIST_DEFENSE & 10500 for UNIT_BUILD_LIST_OFFENSE & others).

I'll see how it goes.
Old March 14, 2002, 17:18   #20
Dale
Emperor

Okay, last night I was messing around with strategies.txt and unitbuildlists.txt (see AI ICS thread). Anyways, I believe I've got it all sorted out so the AI builds REAL defenders now, and not just a chem bomb to defend the city.

Also, I can't definitely say it yet as I haven't played side-by-side with the AI since making the change (I just let the turns automatically tick up to about 100 doing nothing) but I think the AI has doubled the amount of units it builds. After 100 turns I checked up on the AIs and they were building like this:

Defense: 30%
Attack: 25%
Ranged: 15%
Air: 15%
Sea: 10%
Special: 5%

Each city had at least 2 artys, 2 riflemen, and a biplane. In addition to this, it had quite a few units running around exploring. Most AI's had over half the map uncovered.
Old March 15, 2002, 12:36   #21
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Okay, last night I was messing around with strategies.txt and unitbuildlists.txt (see AI ICS thread). Anyways, I believe I've got it all sorted out so the AI builds REAL defenders now, and not just a chem bomb to defend the city.

Also, I can't definitely say it yet as I haven't played side-by-side with the AI since making the change (I just let the turns automatically tick up to about 100 doing nothing) but I think the AI has doubled the amount of units it builds. After 100 turns I checked up on the AIs and they were building like this:

Defense: 30%
Attack: 25%
Ranged: 15%
Air: 15%
Sea: 10%
Special: 5%

Each city had at least 2 artys, 2 riflemen, and a biplane. In addition to this, it had quite a few units running around exploring. Most AI's had over half the map uncovered.
Dale: Sounds like I'll have a much tougher battle next time
Old March 17, 2002, 03:38   #22
Dale
Emperor

Stay tuned. I'll have a text files update tomorrow.

After playing V1.02, the AI appears to be building sensible units now. This is after playing around with the unitbuildlists. But that was only for 100 turns. Let's see how the rest of the game goes.

Oh, one other major change is I've doubled the science costs. This should halve the rate of advancement. I was consistently getting motorised warfare in the equivalent of 1925. Not the right timeing unfortunately. 10 years too early.