Old March 6, 2002, 18:56   #1
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 17:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If you have beaten Deity, check in here, and tell what type of victory and what year
Tell how many victories you have had, and what types, and how early, and all the other information you feel like.

I've only won once on deity, with the Aztecs. 1200 AD or so, don't recall exactly. Conquest.

I was on a U-shaped continent, with me at the middle-bottom. I took out the american civ on the nearer part of the east end, and they respawned on the west end. far on the east end were the russians. on the west end also were the iroquois. I took the horse resource so the Iroquois couldn't build the MW. I finished with the americans, and pruned both of the other civs down.

Then I saw the russians buld two cities above the Iroquois on the very top of the iroquois end. Then I made my plan . I discovered chivalry first. Then I signed an alliance w/ the iroquois against the russians. I figured the iroquois would send their army up north to attack the russian colonies. I thought I could take the russian mainland and get back before the iroquois got all the colonies. (Remember, they didn't have horsies) And then when I got back, I would attack the Iroquois when all their units were up by the russian area.

My plan worked nearly perfectly. I took St. Petersburg, not Moscow from the russians first. It had their only iron. It also had the only roads to two of their cities. Then I took the now-cut-off port city, and that seperated the colonies. Then I took everything else.

My one problem was that when I finished off the russian mainland, the russian colonies were still there. The Iroquois didn't finish them off. That meant that some russian units were wandering around for a while, capturing workers and destroying improvements. I had to leave several knights to deal with them.

With my somewhat diminished army, I successfully attacked the Iroquois. They went down relatively quickly, and I ended the game at 1200.

Others who have won at Deity, please post here so I can listen more carefully to your posts.
Old March 6, 2002, 21:36   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 21:24
Just a general strategy you may want to try if you are using a map with a lot of land... Build cities in a block every 2 or three steps, and only make settlers and 2 defender.

1 defender
1 settler
1 defender
1 settler
etc.

That way you'll be able to defend yourself better.

(It worked in Civ II I don't know about Civ III, however )
Old March 7, 2002, 02:03   #3
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 14:24
Check strategy thread, OCC launch has been achieved by 1700's I think. But that was pre-patch if I recall.
Old March 7, 2002, 07:29   #4
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 13:24
i think its important to also note what map size, number of civs and any options turned off...they can make the diety game much harder/easier.

i had 4 victories in diety so far, all in 1.16 patch, all by spaceship. they were all played on default settings, normal world with 7 civs. 2 of them was with persia, others were with zulu and india. i think all were spaceships completed in the 1800's. there was this one game i was one turn from acquiring the tech needed for the last spaceship part when the damn egyptians ended the game with a cultural victory...that pissed me off bigtime...

for me, its really hard to dominate with military in diety. im very very careful when i start a war, if i do at all...even when i launch a military offensive carefully thought out, im only successful at taking a few cities which i always raze and found a new city w/ my settler. it seems like the AI has unlimited military at times and i dont even want to bother fighting. i haven't yet wiped out a competing civ under diety yet, i'm just not a warmonger i guess..

i haven't really played with the new patch...ive been busy with RtCW these days...
Old March 7, 2002, 23:42   #5
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 15:24
I usually don't play out most of my Deity games, just to the point where they feel "won". I've played a few variations of OCC games, haven't ever launched yet (always miss out on aluminum and/or uranium being available), but have OOC Diplomatic, Cultural, and Conquest wins. The only one I've played recently was with the Germans. I wanted to see if the "easy" 1AI/Tiny/Archipelago win was still possible with the 1.17f patch.

All my other Deity wins had been before the 1.17f patch, and I cleaned out most of my Hall of Fame after doing some domination testing recently. I don't remember any specific games... just the general "pop rush horsemen till the AI are all dead" type of games.

The German game was pretty easy. Just chose France as the AI and made sure culturally linked starting positions were selected. Archers and Spearmen made short work of the French. I forget the exact date, must have been about 1700BC.
Old March 7, 2002, 23:45   #6
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 15:24
Meant to attach this HOF shot...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	germans.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	11018