Old January 8, 2001, 17:51   #1
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
difficulty
I think there should be a difficulty slider. 10 levels of difficulty. People keep saying they want it more challenging. Of course there should be more challenging levels available, but what about those people new to the game, or have not played it as extensively as you? I have been playing Civ games for about three years, but not as frequently as some do. I recently reminded myself that I can not get anywhere in Civ2 or SMAC at anything beyond the easiest level! I am simply gaming- impaired. I enjoy games greatly, but am no good at any. Tough luck, do you say? well I'll buy Civ3 no matter what, but I guess there's nothing I can do if I'll never be able to win at a higher level than the easiest. Hey, I win very easily at the easiest level of both games, but nothing at the next one. All I ask is that there be a second level that's challenging but doable, or at least more interesting. I'll even be fine if the easiest level is challenging but doable, but I prefer there to be one I know I'll win. Of course, I could try practicing more and rereading the manuals and strategy guides...
Old January 8, 2001, 18:20   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:40
Brent,

It would be my assumption that like in Civ II there will be varying degrees of difficulity. There will always be an easy level to get aquianted with. In fact I will play that level first when Civ III comes out to get a feel for the game.

So, I don't think you need to worry about an easy level in Civ III.

However, you should worry about your skills in Civ II and SMAC. What ways do you try to win?
Old January 10, 2001, 07:58   #3
Brent
Prince

conquest.
Old January 10, 2001, 12:42   #4
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:40
Conquest shouldn't be that hard to win after the easy levels. Now, the boys over at Civ II strategies have many more ideas than I do, but what you need to do is expand your empire (more cities) so you have new units every few turns. Then take a bunch of units in one swoop and defeat your enemies.
Old January 10, 2001, 21:48   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
We already have 6 levels of difficulty:

Chieftan
Warlord
Prince
King
Emperor
Deity

Why do we need more?

It would merely be change for the sake of change.
It could make the game more 'hi-tech' to have a slider, but the veterans would not like it (most of them I suppose)

Old January 10, 2001, 22:22   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Brent- did you come to Apolyton through Newsmax?
Old January 11, 2001, 15:44   #7
Brent
Prince

no, I don't even know what Newsmax is.

I wanted more levels for people who are too good at one level but no good at the next higher one. By the veterans do you mean everyone who's played before or those who beat the game every time at Deity level? If the latter, I suspect that most people to pick up the game are not veterans, so why focus on what they think? Appeal to the masses, whether that means my idea or not. My idea is not just for the sake of change, this particular change would help me out. Maybe with more levels, I can get better more easily through practice at my own level.
Old January 11, 2001, 19:38   #8
DarkCloud
staff

veteran- someone who played civ more than 20 games.

Chieftan is low enough, even when I got Civ I, I beat the game in my third try at Chieftan.

10 difficulty levels are too much and take away from the nostalgia of the game.

Newsmax- http://www.newsmax.com "There is a poster on the UBB named "brent""
Old January 13, 2001, 15:56   #9
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Brent,
I am mostly like you, no matter how hard I try, I cant seem to beat the game beyond the first 2 difficulty levels, and yet, I womp everyone elses rears when playing on the easiest level. Heres a suggestion for beating civ2:

Go after the most important wonders and techs. I NEVER, EVER let the AI get leonardos workshop, or united nations, great wall, or mannhatten project. as soon as I get to be able to build nukes, I build 5-10 of them, launching them at my enemies' 5-10 largest cities. then I send in howitzers and tanks to clean up the rest, after the troops, I send in engineers to clean up the polution. remember, the greatest weapon of war is deception and surprise.
something else too: I always go after fundementalism as a choice government. it gives you un-beatable amounts of money, you dont have to worry about the senate ruling against you, your people are never ever un-happy. although the drawback is that under fundementalism, you dont get techs as fast as you do with other forms of government.

just a suggestion, hope you enjoy it.