Old March 7, 2002, 19:38   #1
snifter
Settler

Local Time: 21:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Building an army from a leader
this is so embarrassing. I did a search and nobody has asked this question. so it goes.

I have a Great Leader, but I can't "load" units into him to make an army. How do you do it?

thanks
Old March 7, 2002, 19:50   #2
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 16:26
You have to make the leader into an army first. Select the leader and one of the icons on the screen converts him into an army. IIRC he has to be in a city to make him an army. Then you can move the army and load troops.
Old March 7, 2002, 20:13   #3
snifter
Settler

no really
this is really very strange. I've left-clicked on my leader, right-clicked, double-clicked, all of that both in a city and out of a city, and I can't get the option to do either of the things he's supposed to be able to do -- build an army or hurry production (he should be able to hurry production of a great wonder, shouldn't he?)

He's Chinese, made from an elite spearman... what am I missing?
Old March 7, 2002, 20:17   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:26
When he's in a city, you should see two new buttons at the bottom center of the screen...one for build army, the other for hurry improvement. Also, I think the hotkeys for these actions are B and H, respectively.
Old March 7, 2002, 20:21   #5
Txurce
Prince

I had the same problem. The answer to your question is neither in the manual nor in the civilopedia. You click on the icon at the bottom of the screen for "build an army" - where you choose between building a road or irrigating, for instance, if you're giving a worker an assignment. Then you load the army in the same way, by clicking the "load" icon.

By the way, you may have the same problem if you build the Military Tradition small wonder. Once you've built it, you must then build an "army" the same way you build a unit or city improvement - only then do you load your units into the army.