Old June 17, 2002, 10:52   #91
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 17:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ah, sorry you won't join us, Oerdin. We're below strength, here, and besides, you have great tactical and strategic ideas.

On to the Wombat!

As promised:

The Barbarian Campaign, 2040 BC:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	barbcampaign2040bc.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	17559  
Old June 24, 2002, 09:39   #92
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:26
Sorry, guys. As I said in 2 other threads already, I can't play until further notice due to a broken pc...
Old June 26, 2002, 17:49   #93
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 22:26
Ah... sorry about the delay, I probably should have mentioned I'd be away. I wasn't quite expecting it to be me quite so soon. Gimme another day
Old June 29, 2002, 12:54   #94
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

or three...

The Life and Times of Apolyton Wombat VI

1995bc - W'mbat unleashes the discus, and watches it whistle through the air with the grace and speed of a UFO. (a side-effect of which was the invention of the pin hole camera, and the spate of hoaxes at the millennium celebrations soon afterwards, but that's another story...) The discus struck the head of the despot, and felled him like a mightytree. The former entertainer W'mbat was now legally the ruler of Egypt, but opposition to his rule was great, so the first thing he did was to "/reloadslic", thereby proving himself the rightful king. (its all done with strings, but it looks damn good)
1980 - Without a clear-cut opportunity to unite the world beneath the copper fist of the Gods and Apolytons of Egypt, the Celts are chosen as primary target of the Egyptian army, neatly diverting attention away from Wombat's under-desk antics in the octagonal office.
1965 - With Sobeck defending the western borders, Ra and Offler, the eastern, Anubis (and his big toe) are ordered north to Abydos, the main port of Egypt, and staging platform for inter-continental warfare.
We also make peace with Arabia in this year, and there is much rejoicing. Our latitude is at peace.
1950 -
Street Repairs
Pay 600 PW for each mine, and 250 PW for each pasture.
The Arabians again contact us, and request an exchange of maps. In the interest of peace and humility, Wombat agrees.
1935 - Heliopolis builds a coracle, the war effort continues in earnest.
1920 - The wise men of Egypt finally crack that "tin" thing, and add it to the copper mix, to create the first BRONZE in Egypt. Immediately, Wombat orders the spearmen on the nation to be upgraded to hoplites, at a cost of 3300 gold - almost all the treasury.
The Romans begin planning a huge sorting event known as the Olympics, evidently unaware of the Egyptian patent on such a name.
1905 - Our slaver spy in Celt territories is too impoverished to return anything but information, but does reveal few troop movements in the nation of the Celts. Presumably the cities are well defended though, as their power is on a par with ours.
1890 - Crocodilopolis begins to build some defenders of the new hoplite variety. Our diplomat crosses the border into Gaul. A further coracle is completed to speed the crossing. Chariot production is stepped up.
1875 - Egyptian wise men discover the secret of nachos.
1860 - The 1st Olympics are held in Memphis. Plans are made to hold the event every four years.
Wombat himself wins the silver medal in the Discus. The gold medal winner was never found.
1845 - Romans switch projects to the Valley of the Kings. Sounds kind of cool.
Ra moves eastwards to banish the fog of darkness across eastern Egypt. An embassy is establisehd with the Celts. They have three advances we do not, and vice versa. "I wonder if Subneural Ads can kill us?" remarked a puzzled Wombat, on hearing the details.
He orders an investigation of Kells. The diplomat is never seen again.
Wombat is upset at the loss of civilian life during his reign, and goes to burn of anger with some discus practice. Rumours persist that he hit a Nile Crocodile, but others say that when the Gods take a pharoah, they always leave bits of intestine and jewellery floating in the river.

Last edited by Immortal Wombat; June 29, 2002 at 20:09.
Old June 29, 2002, 13:39   #95
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	sg5.6.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	18445  
Old June 29, 2002, 17:14   #96
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Nice pic... wrong kind of stadium though

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Our diplomat crosses the border into the Celtic nation (what the hell is it called??).
Gaul?
Old June 29, 2002, 17:27   #97
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I know its the wrong stadium. As far as I know the Ancient Egyptians never held an Olympic games, so finding an accurate one might have proven difficult.

Does Gaul cover it? I though that was just the French bit?
Old June 29, 2002, 18:33   #98
Locutus
Deity

A Greek stadium or a Greek/Roman circus still would have been more appropriate than a Roman public slaughterhouse

Re: Gaul. Why not? A Gaul == a Celt. The Romans referred to the people we call Celts as Gauls, so Gaul is the natural name for the country of the Celts. The geographic area called Gaul may have only referred to 'Greater France' while Celtic people lived in the British Isles, Iberia, 'Greater Germany', Italy and Turkey Gauls as well, but the same goes for Germans. Only a portion of all Germans actually lives in Germany while others live in the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Denmark, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, etc. But this doesn't mean the most suitable name for the country is still Germany, for that's the German heartland. Repeat for Turks, Chinese, Arabs, Indians, etc (even disregarding the modern migration movements from 3rd world to 1st/2nd world)...
Old June 29, 2002, 20:07   #99
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

account edited
Old June 30, 2002, 13:38   #100
Gazablanca
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:26
Immortal wombat,

Have you sent on the save game to me yet????If not,could you please send the game to gazablanca@blueyonder.co.uk I am using this address again since my e-mail program is now working properly

Thanks,

Gazablanca
Old June 30, 2002, 13:59   #101
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

oops, sent it to the yahoo one... I think.
Old June 30, 2002, 17:04   #102
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
account edited
Old July 1, 2002, 06:33   #103
Gazablanca
Chieftain

I have now received savegame file and should be playing on Tuesday/Wednesday(depends if my nightshift fuzz clears by then)In short,ASAP.
Old July 2, 2002, 11:07   #104
Locutus
Deity

Although I can't participate, I figured the least I could do is update the website, so I did.

Ben, is it me or are the dates for your account screwed up? Hermann's account ends in 1950 BCE but yours starts in 2000 BCE... (Also, you got the numbering wrong, it's Wombat V, not Wombat VI, but I had it f*cked up on the website as well, so that's not really your fault )
Old July 3, 2002, 06:19   #105
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I played the file I received: 1995BC Three turns gone missing there...

I forgot I was a number behind everyone else (unless we all missed a turn ), sorry. There was never a Pope John XX either. So I'll cry "Emerson!" and move on.
Old July 3, 2002, 06:43   #106
Locutus
Deity

Hmmm... odd. Hermann? Did you screw up the dates then? If not, we appear to have had an interruption in the space-time continuum Oh well, we'll blame it on Ra

Last edited by Locutus; July 3, 2002 at 06:51.
Old July 3, 2002, 12:14   #107
Gazablanca
Chieftain

Reign of Gazablanca Apolyton VI

Gazablanca,a distant relative of all the other Gazablanca Apolyton's is proclaimed ruler after being spotted tearing apart his barbarian enemies in some illegal fight pit near Tanis.One of Immortal Wombat's advisers had gambled on Gaz and was overjoyed to win so much money....and with some greasing of palms and bundles of gold nuggets under the table to various dignataries,Gazablanca was promoted.It was now time to see if he had the same strength in the diplomatic arena as he did in the fighting pit........

1830 BC
Coracles are busily transporting army to the edge of the celtic borders,meanwhile a cease-fire is signed with the Yamato nation.The coracle with the consignment of soldiers skirting the Yamato lands turns its attention to scouting Etrusca.....

1815 BC
Nothing of interest happens

1800 BC
The Celts have killed our Slaver,who was innocently taking a holiday near the Celtic city of Kells!!!!!!
Destruction is promised by Gazablanca.Sweet Destruction.

1770 BC
Nothing of importance happens,apart from when Gazablanca finds some herbs of some potency lying around his palace....he has strange dreams which include sights of flying Sphinxes and levitating ankhs.....very weird.

1755 BC
Gazablanca starts the extension of the great road from Aphroditopolis to Sais...more reinforcements pour into the Celtic lands

1740 BC
The army of Offleris the far east destroys 2 barbarian Javelin Cavalry regiments and one of our Javelin Cavalry regiments becomes veteran.

1725 BC
With the advent of the invention of Archery,some slinger units are turned into Archers,with more being built in some cities.Herbalism is chosen as research,to try to build the Valley of the Kings before the Yamato.This will enable us to raise a true spiritual leader of Egypt...Ramses

1710 BC
A plague strikes in all 9 of our cities....lots of people have died and the population has dropped in all of our cities.It is a period of mourning for the nation of Egypt.

1695 BC
In the final years of Gazablanca's life,a series of riots happens to Abydos,Bubastis and Thebes,due to the effects of the plague.Gazablanca deploys entertainers temporarily in these cities to quell the disturbances(Just for a few years)
The army in the Celtic nation is now 12 regiments strong,and is called The Army of Sceptre in honour.They are now ready to attack the Celtic nation with the city of Kells hopefully being the first target.Gazablanca secures his next heir's right to be ruler,a young lad known as Hermann the Lombard who has shown promise as a leader and warrior.He then passes away with a dying choke,to the afterlife of weird herbs and tasty beer,he hopes........
Old July 3, 2002, 13:31   #108
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

stupid plagues. whose stupid idea were they anyway
Old July 3, 2002, 18:27   #109
Locutus
Deity

Website updated again.
Old July 17, 2002, 10:44   #110
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Um...Bump

Whose turn is it?
Old July 17, 2002, 13:58   #111
Locutus
Deity

I think Hermann's or so, but not sure since I can't access my email.

Anyway, it looks like I might get my new PC this weekend so unless Hermann (who plays before me, assuming Oerdin is still out) posts his account within 24 hours, count me in for the next round...
Old July 17, 2002, 17:37   #112
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

hooray!

Impressive spec on this one?
Old July 17, 2002, 18:38   #113
Locutus
Deity

Uhm, didn't I tell that already? Anyway, see here. Some of the text is in Dutch but you can figure it out. Of course, I made extensive modifications (twice as much memory, decent soundcard, better keyboard, fast network card, some of my own custom hardware, etc) but the basic system remains the same. Much better than my old P200, no?
Old July 18, 2002, 03:13   #114
Gazablanca
Chieftain

I think I know your anticipation Locutus......I couldn't wait to hand down my200Mhz Cyrix to my younger brother when I got my sexy new uber-computer....ah, the blue screen of death is now a fading memory......
Old July 18, 2002, 10:59   #115
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 14:26
Aanbiedingen <--- Is this a Dutch PC maker?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 18, 2002, 11:50   #116
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Much better than my old P200, no?
Its not bad... *chokes*
Only another year or two and I can get a new one too.
Old July 18, 2002, 18:08   #117
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Aanbiedingen <--- Is this a Dutch PC maker?
Good attempt, but no. It's Dutch for 'special offers'. So not only did I get a kick-@ss system, I got it really cheap too I checked at Dell: a very similar system from them costs about 1000 Euro/Dollar more - and Dell doesn't even let you customize the system without restrictions (and they don't have a repair shop less than 3 miles from my home either)
Old July 19, 2002, 14:10   #118
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Hermann's account will be posted shortly. My sincere apologies for the delay (though it worked out well for Locutus' new system). Teaser: Hammurabi the Conqueror.

Here we go:

The Stela of Her-mann VI

1695 BC: Sobbing with grief, young Her-mann releases the thin cord around Gazablanca’s neck and leads the mourning for the noble leader. Where chemical and biological warfare failed, ligature prevailed. He takes the title Apolyton XXI, though by now all of Egypt seems to be innumerate.

Her-mann VI summons the Wise Men (defined as those who can still count), and poses the question: should we continue pursuing Herbalism, or switch to Mobile Tactics? The new ruler is sorely tempted to switch (following the example of his ancestor), but then he remembers how ineffective those herbs were…

The accession of Her-mann is greeted warmly by the people of Egypt who begin looting and burning Abydos, Bubastis, and Thebes. Four other cities teeter on the brink of chaos. More entertainers—heavily armed—are dispatched throughout the Empire of Ra. The new amusements of javelin catching, chariot skiing and sand swallowing calm the rioters.

1680 BC: Damaged units in the field are rotated back to the cities for recovery in Tanis, Memphis, and Sais. Hammurabi leads the mighty Sceptre Army into Celtic territory, aiming to isolate Kells.

1665 BC: The Great Old Coracle, now in the far north, sights barbarian hoplites. More to the point, barbarian hoplites march up to the gates of Memphis, which is ill-prepared to greet them. Her-mann hastily summons Sobek to receive the visitors.

1650 BC: Sobek corners the barbarians between the Nile and the sea.

1635 BC: Sobek destroys the intruders. A coracle bringing infantry reinforcements to Hammurabi encounters an Arabian bireme off Kells, and hastily puts its cargo of hoplites ashore. With great pomp and majesty, the mighty Sceptre Army assaults Kells! With substantially less pomp and majesty the army turns and runs away. Hammurabi’s dispatches term this a “strategic withdrawal in the face of powerful defenses. Of course victory would have been ours, but the cost would have been prohibitive.” [The defenders included 2 hoplites, 2 warriors, 1 chariot, 2 slingers, and 2 slavemasters, city+25%, fortif+44%.] Hammurabi promotes one chariot and one javelin cavalry to veteran (rather generous with the medals for such an ignoble combat!) On a more profitable note, our Prophet sells indulgences in the city of Baghdad.

1620 BC: The Arabian bireme plunders the trade goods of Kells. Pity.

1605 BC: The Wise Men announce the discovery of Herbalism. By now the dynastic system of the Empire is showing strain, so Her-mann orders the search for a new form of government that will put more power—and far more expenses—at the level of the individual cities. Then the 21st Apolyton orders most of the entertainers back to work, at least until news comes of the next battle. Hathor maneuvers to corner barbarian cavalry southeast of Aphroditopolis. The Prophet sees a medium-sized barbarian army menacing the Arabian city of Jiddah, so the Prophet relieves the city of its surplus cash (so it won’t go to waste).

1590 BC: Ra smiles on the Empire! Hammurabi leads Sceptre and seizes Cardiff by storm and without loss! (One mangled chariot squadron has a different idea about loss.) The city becomes the largest in the Empire, and one of the most productive in all categories (including pollution). Now Gaul is cut in two. Closer to home, Hathor destroys the barbarian cavalry, and Sobek moves to intercept a pair of barbarian hoplite regiments north of Tanis.

1575 BC: It seems to Hammurabi the Conqueror that perhaps the Celts defended Kells by stripping other cities of defenders. He sends a flying column (and a flying pediment) to probe Carmarthen. The city is undefended, and falls to the Egyptian charioteers! Ah, but can they HOLD the city? Massive productive resources have been expended in this city, and the city could complete the Temple of Solomon in only two centuries (compared to three more centuries for Memphis) . . . but there would be little profit in completing the Temple for the benefit of the Celts! Production is switched to defense, and hoplites will be ready immediately.

1560 BC: The Celts belatedly react, and small forces march west from Kells toward Cardiff. Like all great generals, Hammurabi immediately calls for reinforcements. Once again, cities tremble with war discontent. The 21st Apolyton is outraged! “How can these ungrateful people object to the expansion of the Empire of Ra!” He orders the entertainers to quell the traitors “by whatever means necessary.” Away to the north, the Great Old Coracle sights an Etruscan bireme, and turns west toward unexplored (non-Etruscan) coast.

1545 BC: The Prophet watches a large Arabian army smash the barbarian army; perhaps we should sell indulgences elsewhere. Hammurabi the Conqueror looks east from Cardiff; the Celts have blocked the road to Carmarthen. Their forces are temptingly weak; could this be a trap? And where are those reinforcements? The Great Fleet bobs in the harbor of Abydos; the Army of Nun stands ready to sail for Gaul…but the Apolyton is troubled. Would Hammurabi decide the combined army was better used against Egypt than against Gaul? Her-mann VI, Apolyton XXI expresses these doubts to a trusted aide. Unfortunately, the trusted aide turns out to be the nephew of Hammurabi the Conqueror. Suddenly there is a job vacancy: Apolyton of the Empire of Ra.

Last edited by Hermann the Lombard; July 19, 2002 at 15:35.
Old July 19, 2002, 16:05   #119
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Gaul is divided in two parts...

-- Hammurabi
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	gaulin2parts.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	99.9 KB