Old January 12, 2001, 00:54   #1
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unattainable Techs
Hi y'all,

One of the strategies I almost always end up doing after reaching the Future Techs is to switch to Fundamentalism and turn off all scientific advancements (and sell libraries, universities, etc.). Why bother when no new units/buildings can be invented. The meager points you get for the future techs just weren't enough to encourage scientific pursuit.

I'd like for Firaxis to make some techs that are IMPOSSIBLE to attain (at least within the 500 or so turns within a scoreing game). Why? Because then the challenge is there and there is a continuing purpose for scientific research. Otherwise, your high trade governments become somewhat worthless IMOHO (except, of course, the immunity to bribery). Besides, you know very well that someone is bound to play well enough to achieve these techs. So make a few end-game, IMPOSSIBLE-to-attain techs (with an occasional cool unit like the Death Star unit or something).
Old January 12, 2001, 05:38   #2
Crusader16
Settler

Hi!, civ III have to be a LOT of new techs so i expect that SETI program have a real use (jaja), also if the game is more slower, the tech research have to be also slower.
I expect in Civ III that the games could be more longer, because in Civ II the games are too short, and there is not real emotion! I know that the difficult of the game have to be with the advancement of the game. I had finish games in one day!!!. There's no much emotion, i think!
Could be good if you can download from internet new techs to the game. jaja it's great.
Old January 12, 2001, 06:26   #3
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:40
quote:

Could be good if you can download from internet new techs to the game.

Nice, but hardly to implement without unbalancing the game, because adding tech to the end of tech tree is meaningless (lot of people will finish the game way before to see the end of the tech tree, if it become too long to win by science research, switching to quick er conquer or diplomatic victory.

You can probably add them "in the middle" only in a research tree with wide parallel tech: see tech with prerequisite points on tech tree clicking here.

If implemented, would be nice to gain also some related units and city buildings, to keep the game fresh and alive every few months, but I bet Firaxis won't do this, because it needs keeping the AI able to cope with all the new stuff (if AI don't use it, human players will gain big advantage, unbalancing the game if not on "human only" multiplayer).

Looking at SMAC/SMACX I suppose Firaxis will keep something for an expansion disk to sell, not to give away for free on web site

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old January 12, 2001, 21:22   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Heck yes, techs should be able to be downloaded from the civ III site; these techs will be filling in areas of the tech tree; such as the Renaissance; if two are relased every 2 weeks it will help the play balance

They should definatley have somthing able to download from the net every week to keep game interest. (Look at Roller Coaster Tycoon or The Sims)
Old January 13, 2001, 17:23   #5
zyxpsilon
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by JosefGiven on 01-13-2001 12:19 PM
Star Trek. Dragons! Giant Spiders! I ask you, what were they thinking?

Real fun >OR< fun "about" Reality.
They used their imaginations to create A game.

Redesign history and let the player enjoy it.
That's what they were thinking!

Old January 14, 2001, 01:19   #6
JosefGiven
Warlord

It's a good point, and some of these replies are pretty strong, too.

I think the Civ III team should make a point of avoiding cheesy sci-fi tech advances, and do some research into what scientists think is really going to be discovered in the future, and when. There were some in-roads into this in Test of Time, but the way they were implemented made the game feel like a bad episode of Star Trek. Dragons! Giant Spiders! I ask you, what were they thinking?

However, fusion power could be exploited more... Genetic engineering, perhaps...Nothing too silly, if you please.

Basically, though, yes. I dig the idea of a set of super-colossal future-techs for the player's civ to get it's teeth into. Check out the list of suggestions for more ideas for end-game scenarios.

------------------
Josef Given
josefgiven@hotmail.com