Old March 8, 2002, 11:26   #1
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 14:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Battlefield Med worth it?
I have always picked up BM if it was available, but now wondering if it would be better to ignore BM and develop other ways.

Although healing is supposed to happen in the field, it seems like even with BM I have to move weakened units back to barracks to restore their strength. This may be just a theory and not actual fact. I plan to document in current game.

What do you all think?

1. Does BM actually restore units on battlefield? If so how does it work,
a. regardless if they move or not, or
b. only if they rest for one turn.

2. Is BM worth buying or do you develop in other directions?

thank you in advance for your ideas.
Old March 8, 2002, 11:29   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:28
Battlefield Medicine allows units to heal in enemy territory, provided that they sit still for a turn (they heal at 1hp per turn, just like in neutral territory).

Is it worth it? Well, by that time building it isn't usually too hard, so I do. But I don't see it as really that big of a benifit.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 8, 2002, 11:38   #3
godinex
Prince

Local Time: 15:28
For Me it is crucial, specially in large invasions.
Old March 8, 2002, 11:46   #4
Effraides
Settler

Local Time: 21:28
Its really crucial for me too... I play on Gigamaps... and when Im fighting a continent away... I need it to maintin an invasion until reinforcements arrive.
Old March 8, 2002, 11:47   #5
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 16:28
BM is definately worth it IMO.

By the time you can build it you have some really productive cities so it's not too big a waste of time/production as was stated in above post.

The ability to heal in enemy territory, while not enough to turn the tide of a war, is still beneficial in that you're not wasting time running home or to neutral territory to heal one hitpoint. Big deal you say? Well any benefit you can reap from this game helps against an AI that already has multiple "benefits". Know what I mean?
Old March 8, 2002, 11:49   #6
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 22:28
Quote:
Originally posted by godinex
For Me it is crucial, specially in large invasions.
I agree the full 200%!! Too difficult without.

Usually build it after when I get infantry. By then I should be a strong civ and have many SM-capable cities.

And SM DOES NOT refer to my sexual behaviour ..!

AJ
Old March 8, 2002, 13:27   #7
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 12:28
Quote:
And SM DOES NOT refer to my sexual behaviour ..!
Pray, what does SM refer to then?

I agree, I usually always build the BM asap. Even if I'm not planning any wars, it still adds culture.

Steele
Old March 8, 2002, 14:45   #8
Spatzimaus
Chieftain

One hit point per turn is not large. Its primary use, as pointed out, is in a large invasion. But, if I can't send in enough troops to guarantee taking one city by the second turn, I just don't invade, so it's not very useful. Last game I was in, for example, I was attacking the Russians in the early Industrial. They had a railroad network and lots of Cossacks. I had just researched Infantry. I dropped eight Galleons of units (32 total, mostly Cavalry (6 of which were in two Armies) with a couple Artillery and a few Infantry) on a coastal mountain. His counterattack never got past the Infantry, and on the next turn I attacked a nearby city. Battlefield Medicine wouldn't have helped.

But, it's a Small Wonder and isn't too expensive. There's no reason NOT to build it if you have an industrial city to spare.
Old March 8, 2002, 16:13   #9
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 22:28
Quote:
Originally posted by steelehc

Pray, what does SM refer to then?

I agree, I usually always build the BM asap. Even if I'm not planning any wars, it still adds culture.

Steele
SM = Small Monder

(don't recall where my mind was ...)

AJ
Old March 11, 2002, 12:23   #10
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 14:28
Thanks to your advice was able to get BM to work for land forces.

Doesn't work for BS or carriers :-( :-(
Old March 11, 2002, 14:03   #11
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I havent found BM to be overly useful, but then I dont initiate many wars. It certainly does work, and if I'm invading another civ it's pretty much a requirement. I usually hang onto all SW so that if the AI beats me to a BW by 1 or 2 turns (cheating) I can switch to them and dont lose so many extra shields.

"Are you sure you want to switch from The Sistine Chapel to a Warrior- You'll lose 2,000,000 shields"

"Yeah, I love donating to the poor (AI)"
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 11, 2002, 14:10   #12
Thrawn05
King

Just build it, becuase you might regret it later. Always build wonders as soon as you get a chance to.

Hell, I built the Great Library well into the industrial age, sure it didn't do crap for me, but I least I get some culture points. Besides, how can I NOT turn up an oppotunaty to build a wonder in five turns?

Last edited by Thrawn05; March 11, 2002 at 14:28.
Old March 11, 2002, 19:33   #13
Spatzimaus
Chieftain

Which reminds me, a pet peeve of the game:

If you've already researched the technology that makes a Wonder obsolete it takes it off your build list, even if no one has built it. If you've got a city currently building it that still works, but you can't switch some other city to it. So, once you have Education, no Great Library. This is actually painful since I'd want the Great Library just to keep the OTHER civs from getting it.
Old March 11, 2002, 19:39   #14
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 17:28
Quote:
Which reminds me, a pet peeve of the game:

If you've already researched the technology that makes a Wonder obsolete it takes it off your build list, even if no one has built it. If you've got a city currently building it that still works, but you can't switch some other city to it. So, once you have Education, no Great Library. This is actually painful since I'd want the Great Library just to keep the OTHER civs from getting it
I'm pretty sure that's absolute crap. I remember building the Great Library well ino the Modern Age the other day. It took 4 turns.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 12, 2002, 16:15   #15
Spatzimaus
Chieftain

I should clarify: it hasn't happened to me CONSISTENTLY, and may have been fixed in the last patch, but there HAVE been times when a wonder that was already obsolete (the Great Library comes to mind specifically, but it's happened with others too) would not show up on my build list, even though it hadn't been built yet and I had the technology.

I had to sit there and watch as another civilization built it and gained a lot of technologies. This was extremely upsetting, as I had just begun a massive land war against the civ in question and they jumped from Chariots and Spearmen (well, Impi, it was the Zulus) to Knights and Musketmen.

This was an unmodified .bic file, by the way.