Old March 8, 2002, 11:27   #1
Txurce
Prince

Local Time: 21:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Jag Warrior AWOL from Build Queue
I've now played two games with the Aztecs where the Jaguar Warrior disappears for a long stretch from the the build queue, so that I can't choose to build one in any of my cities. (There is no regular Warrior option, either.) This didn't happen right away, but early in the game. It occurred once playing 1.16, and once playing 1.17.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it a bug, something that could be addressed by reloading the game... or am I missing something?
Old March 8, 2002, 11:45   #2
godinex
Prince

Local Time: 15:28
Yes, but only when You discover the Iron Working, gain the resource and have roads betwen your cities.
Old March 8, 2002, 12:30   #3
Txurce
Prince

Godinex, I did in fact discover Iron Working and have all my roads linked up. Are you saying that this eliminates the JW? And if so, is it spelled out in the manual or civilopedia?

If I follow you correctly, it seems like a bad design decision, given that at the time the JW remained my best offensive option (swordsmen taking too long to make during wartime against a swarming enemy, when I only have a few cities).
Old March 8, 2002, 13:28   #4
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:28
Use the editor and make jaguar warriors upgrade to riflemen instead of swordsmen. This way, they are available throughout the ancient and middle ages.

(Credit for this idea goes to player1 who introduced it in his 'patch suggestion' mod.)
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old March 8, 2002, 13:31   #5
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 13:28
In the new patch 1.17 they now all UU upgrade to the next unit. So now in the game Jaguar warriors now upgrade to swordman. As well as all the other UU in the game. This info is in the list of changes the 1.17 patch made to the game.
Old March 8, 2002, 15:15   #6
Txurce
Prince

The edit suggestion is a good one.

What seems uniquely off about this situation is that in other cases, being able to upgrade doesn't make the early unit obsolete.

And for when it counts - those early Aztec rushes - I can now avoid obsolescence by not connecting an iron source to all my cities. If I'm not building swordsmen, there's no downside.

Thanks for all the good advice.