Old January 11, 2001, 14:52   #1
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 19:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Aircraft
Does anyone know whether aircraft units will be handled differently than other units? I mean, I've always pictured air units to act more like an animated sequence rather than like other units that you'd have to move one square at a time.

I thought, for example, it would be nice to choose a target for an airstrike and have the fighter/bomber do the strike in one animated sequence. Is that possible?

Which reminds me, will there be any animated sequences, such as bombs actually exploding upon impact, fire, and other effects? That would be nice.

Hey... what can I say, I like explosions.
Old January 11, 2001, 15:22   #2
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I agree with you, airstrikes and such should not be like other units. especially nuclear strikes, all nuclear weaponry should have pre-selected targets, and be launched, not moved.

But I don't know anything about how air warfare will work.

p.s. since you've been here quite a while, I would have thought you would know.
Old January 11, 2001, 18:15   #3
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:41
How about, you still have the air units, But when an air unit starts it's turn in a city/carrier/air base then it gain certain options depending on it's type. For instance a Bomber unit can go on bombing runs to cities x distance from it's starting location, and you can pick certain buildings in that city or the population centers. Fighters could do generally the same thing, or just patrol an area of x diameter around the place that it is stationed.

Bombers can select multiple buildings to bomb on their bombing runs and fighters, too, can go on air strikes to destroy select buildings, but only one per strike.
Old January 12, 2001, 04:55   #4
Crusader16
Settler

I'm agree with that. Specially in the Launch Missiles because isn't real that movement that you give in Civ II and also isn't real that the missile can't pass over the units.
But i want to make a question, in a bomber attack where does that plane keep after the attack, the plane have to stay in some position!.
Also in civ III have to include commercial airplanes and transporting helicopters, these are another uses to the aircraft system.
Old January 12, 2001, 12:32   #5
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 19:41
YA! I think way points would be a great idea... and to have them automated and animated would be a big plus.

HEY FIRAXIS... ARE YOU LISTENING OVER THERE?

Regarding my insider information, unfortunately, I'm not as involved with the gaming community as I used to be. I'm all caught up in family affairs (kids, wife, etc) that I fell out of the loop.

But... if I hear of anything you'll all be the first to know!

Now... regarding animation... actually, I'll post that on another thread.
Old January 13, 2001, 06:53   #6
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 20:41
One problem I had with SMAC was that helicopters were far too powerful compared to normal aircraft. They could attack once per movement unit, and could attack at full strength each time. This meant that, provided your helicopter was using some ultra powerful weapon, you could wipe out all a city's defenders in one turn!

Whilst this may be realistic, it also means that there is next to no point building aircraft such as bombers and interceptors, since they only attack once per turn and/or attack at half attack strength.
Old January 13, 2001, 07:08   #7
Leonidas
King

Having aircraft "fly" from one point to another shouldn't be that difficult. It was implemented way back in '93-94 with Panzer General and all the other General games. Basically, select the unit, and then place your mouse cursor on the square you want to move it to, and presto! The plane has flown

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old January 13, 2001, 15:26   #8
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

I like all these great ideas, and something more to add:

when a plane flies over some enemy AA Gun batteries, or some SAM sites, it should have a 20-60% chance of being shot down, depending on the hight its flying at, and the tipe of aircraft. for a bomber, flying between 10 and 20,000 feet, it has a 50% chance of being shot down, when flying higher, it has a 30% chance. when flying lower, it has a 60-70% chance. since fighters fly at a much faster speed, and are much more menuverable, they have a 30% chance of being shot down at 20,000 feet. when at 10,000 feet, they have a 35% chance. when flying at 5,000 feet or lower, its a 40% chance. NO missiles should be aloud to be shot down. the SDI defense really screwed civ2 up, it was really quite unrealistic.
Old January 13, 2001, 16:59   #9
crazBOBy
Settler

YES, I agree !!!

if an air unit like planes and missiles attack or bombard something there should a nice animation. which just looks more reality.
i think its better to keep the movement like all other units, but missiles should be moved only in specialy vehicles.

thats my opinion

bye all
[This message has been edited by crazBOBy (edited January 13, 2001).]
Old January 13, 2001, 17:10   #10
zyxpsilon
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin on 01-12-2001 11:32 AM
YA! I think way points would be a great idea... and to have them automated and animated would be a big plus.
HEY FIRAXIS... ARE YOU LISTENING OVER THERE?

Oh... but they do listen to us.
1) THE list from Apolyton beside other sources like BETA-Testers!
2) My letter about "waypoints" to Microprose back in April 98.

BIB (Bigger is better by Ai's) has >been< solved.
ZOC (Priorities of movement) has too.

Fact is... Firaxis implements gamers ideas AND more.

Old January 14, 2001, 05:50   #11
Sir Shiva

How about this.. You have a bomber in a city. You choose 'Bomb' or 'Bombing sortie on.." and then choose the target city or unit. You will only be allowed to choose targets which you can safely bomb and return (should there be a kamikaze option?), and once you click, the plane will fly toward the city, drop its bombs and fly back while the bombs are falling and exploding. If there are AA guns or mobile SAMs or SAM tile improvements around you would see them shooting at the plane while its flying...

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@shivamail.com
Web: http://www.shivamail.com