Old April 25, 2002, 18:14   #121
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 14:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Of the lesser civs that should still be considered for inclucision I think the Inca, Ethiopians, and Dutch are the strongest contenders. The Mali, Khamer, Polynesians, and Koreans I would religate to third tier because of their relatively small world impact.
The Dutch were world powers, the Inca were the biggest influence on a whole content, and Ethiopia beats Mali by virtue of it's continious existance since ancient times plus that it was never colonized and was a major religious and economonic center in Africa. By contrast Mali's golden age was short lived and it's unity far more tenious.

Last edited by Oerdin; April 26, 2002 at 14:05.
Old April 25, 2002, 18:56   #122
Ned
King

Local Time: 13:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by nato
If we had 16 new civs to work with, I bet like 95% or more people could be made very happy with the ones who made it.

If we only had 8, there will probably be a good amount of people not happy ... not sure how many.

I bet most people still could though ... there aren't THAT many big contenders.

Lets see... Arabians, Turks, Mongols, Vikings, Spanish, Portugouse, Celts, Khmer (I don't know who these guys are!), someone from Africa (not sure who), someone native to America (not sure who), Polynesians ...

Did I miss anybody major? (this isn't my want list, it is who seems to be most wanted by everyone)

If we are going on race/culture, then the English, French, Spanish, Portuguese should not be separately listed. They are all "German/Christian." They all had origin in the German tribes that dismembered the Roman Empire - or tribes that stayed put in Germania - and became Romanized through the Church.

The Vikings, however, were different. They spread havoc far and wide and still we find their descendants in Scandanavia and Russia. (The original Russians were Vikings. ) It is, in my view, highly improper to incude the Celts but not include the Vikings. (In this view, the Russians are not a separate civilization. They are Vikings.)

The Mongols should be included, primarily because their rule extended, at least in India, until modern times. But the Huns had an even greater impact on the West, and who would not like to play Atilla?

Finally, if we really want to talk about a people who had an impact, even if short lived, we have to talk about the Goths, Nazi Germany and the USSR. Who wouldn't want to play Alaric or Hitler or Stalin? Barbarians are "fun." Just ask any boy.

Ned