View Poll Results: How would you rate Civ III?
* 12 6.94%
1.5 10 5.78%
** 29 16.76%
2.5 26 15.03%
*** 26 15.03%
3.5 25 14.45%
**** 45 26.01%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 9, 2002, 22:39   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 21:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CivULATION or SiDAPPOINTMENT?
So- how would you rate civlization III- please fill out the poll, if you wish to
Old March 9, 2002, 22:46   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Would you consider it a game worth paying 45 dollars for, or a game worth only 20 in the bargain bin?

Is it worth its top seller title?

Or its award as strategy game of the year at CGM, or best game that didn't win an award at CGW?

Is it as yin26 would say, in need of SMACceptance or is it a hit?

Please voice your opinion here.
Old March 9, 2002, 22:52   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 22:30

It can get a hit, when it's finished.
Old March 10, 2002, 10:49   #4
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 16:30

Some interesting concept changes, but poor mechanics. Its fixable though, I just wont pay for the fixes.

I'd like to see the poll results based on how many "CIV" games have been played (to death) by the voters. I think that the lower scores will cluster with those of us who have played more versions while the higher scores will be for whom CIV3 is a newer experience.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 10, 2002, 11:16   #5
korn469
Emperor

but that is because i adopted the CtP:2 rating system of basing it on mods (the blitz mod in this case) and not the original game (which i would give a low 3.0 or a high 2.5)

also i am primarily interested in single player for turn based games, so the lack of multiplayer doesn't lower my score

and just for the record

Civ3 100+ hours
CtP:2 -
CtP 5+ hours
SMAX 25+ hours
SMAC 100++ hours
Civ2 100+ hours
Colonization 50+ hours
MoO2 25+ hours
MoM -
MoO 10+ hours
Civ1 50+ hours
Old March 10, 2002, 15:18   #6
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
original game (which i would give a low 3.0 or a high 2.5)
It's interesting that you're more satisfied with the original than I am despite that you've changed virtually everything that you could in your mod (and I suspect you would have changed more if you could). I've done virtually the same thing. Right now I'm testing the effect of reducing the town size to 3 and upping the cost of settler to 3 pop points (I dont know the thread where I saw it suggested). The play is certainly different so far.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 10, 2002, 16:32   #7
Salvor
Apolyton University
Chieftain

I went all the way to 4 stars.

Sure, the game ain't perfect, and I get as frustrated as the next guy with the things I don't like.

But for someone as busy as me, it's extremely rare to find a game that has me literally glued to my PC every non-working waking (or semi-waking) hour for going on 4 months now, with no signs of abatement.
Old March 10, 2002, 18:11   #8
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 17:30
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH

Some interesting concept changes, but poor mechanics. Its fixable though, I just wont pay for the fixes.

I'd like to see the poll results based on how many "CIV" games have been played (to death) by the voters. I think that the lower scores will cluster with those of us who have played more versions while the higher scores will be for whom CIV3 is a newer experience.
Civ1: 100 hours
Civ2: 500 hours
Civ3: 20 hours

Old March 10, 2002, 23:02   #9
elfstorm
Settler

I love SMAC for various reasons.

I love MoM for various different reasosn.

I was hoping Civ3 would combine the best of both.
Wow - was I ever disappointed.

Civ3 ain't bad, I like it... guess my expectations were too high.
Old March 11, 2002, 07:13   #10
Ironikinit
Prince

Four stars, no-brainer.

As a change of pace, I played some Disciples II. Fine game, but as far as replay value goes, Civ 3 smokes it. Since the AI is weak in D2, the game puts all the emphasis on scripted campaign games, which is fine, but once the campaigns are played, that's that for me... I'm not going to replay it to see if I can do it faster. D2 does have MP, and runs fast enough and has a small enough scope that MP is viable. That's the whole reason why we picked it to play. Civ 3 is a single player game in nature, but that won't stop a tiny minority from playing MP if and when it becomes available.

IMO, Civ 3's only real competition is Europa Universalis 2, which unfortunately also suffers from weak AI. If anyone has another good strategy game to suggest, I'd like to hear about it.

Personally, I wouldn't waste much time playing a game I considered to be a 2.

I've played pretty much the whole Civ series and its offshoots such as Colonization and SMAC, but not CtP or CtP2 which never interested me.

Last edited by Ironikinit; March 11, 2002 at 14:08.
Old March 11, 2002, 09:31   #11
Sava

Overall, Civ 3 is a huge disappointment. I think CTP2 is a better game.

I gave it 2 stars because by itself, it still is pretty decent. It just isn't up to par with my expectations. It is basically Civ 2 source code with new graphics, new culture, and different unit properties with a rewritten AI.

It seems like the development team didn't do their homework when it came to combat. Modern Armor, for instance, would annhilate regular Tanks in 99.99999 percent of real world scenarios. The perfect example is Desert Storm. The Coalition forces lost 0 tanks to enemy fire. In the "highway of death" battle, the Iraqis lost 160 tanks.

If you are going to only have two main variables in a combat equation, you must assign values to units that make the outcomes realistic. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but given Gulf War statistics, the Modern Armor should at least be 160:1 in attack/defense. But this would make gameplay and other values hard to even out.

A better system would have included these variables:
Range
Firepower
Armor
Mobility
# of units

The through a system of calculation, you get a simple Attack - Defend equation that is determined by those 5 variables. Instead of having 2 units fighting to the death, you have casualties inflicted. Sometimes it might take a few turns for units to fight. This would allow for realistic warfare scenarios such as stalemates. Also, there needs to be a system for POW's. Not every single soldier is wiped out in a battle. Perhaps there could be an option for "Take No Prisoners" or "Make into Slaves".

Unfortunately my ideas have 0 probability of making it into a future CIV title. I guess I've got to finish my degree in Computer Science and write the game myself.

Old March 11, 2002, 10:35   #12
Rotten999
Warlord

Local Time: 15:30
I got over the "this sucks" phase after playing for awhile, and now consider Civ3 to be a fun diversion. A lot of the new features are very cool (civ traits, uniques, culture, borders you can actually see, better negotiation, et. al.). Once I realized this wasn't Civ2, nor was it trying to be, I liked the game more. Combat isn't perfect, and I've learned to like the corruption "problem." I especially like how a conquered city is virtually useless for production while the war is on, as it logically would be.

Civ1 = Way too much
Civ2 = Way too much, squared
Call to Power = Played it maybe three times. I got so sick of units telling me they were "tired," of forty turns of wonder production going down the tiolet when another civ got there a turn before me, of "public works" to build roads and such, of cities producing nothing for some reason, and on and on. Yuck.
Old April 17, 2002, 00:04   #13
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 14:30
I really like Civ3, but for now it is on my shelf. I'll play it some more after the patch, but for now I'm enthralled with CTP2. The new World at War mod is awesome
Old April 17, 2002, 00:23   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:30
As the game stands right now - I give it 2 stars.
Old April 17, 2002, 09:37   #15
ACooper
Prince

Given all the time I spend playing the game and all the time spent here talking about it I would have to give it 4 stars (Which, by the way, is the leading rating at this point)

It is good that they are still working on it because it is not perfect, but then, it never will be.
Old April 17, 2002, 12:01   #16
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Iīd give it a 2. Some very nice ideas (culture, the new support system, etc.) but poorly executed. But itīs getting there, maybe after a few more patches it could get a passing grade...
Old April 17, 2002, 15:15   #17
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 17:30
I gave 3 stars. I love playing Civ and can do so for hours at a time. However, there's always room for improvement.

"I gave it 2 stars because by itself, it still is pretty decent. It just isn't up to par with my expectations. It is basically Civ 2 source code with new graphics, new culture, and different unit properties with a rewritten AI." - Sava

That is just about funny. Of course it's just an upgrade of Civ II. It wouldn't be called Civilization if it were radically different. Duh!
Old April 17, 2002, 15:20   #18
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Iīm amazed that like almost 70% gave this game a passing grade...
Old April 17, 2002, 15:22   #19
ACooper
Prince

Cuz' we are right!
Old April 17, 2002, 15:25   #20
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I gave it 4 stars...despite the flaws in it, it is a game that manages to keep me coming back to it and playing more, which is rare for games these days.
Old April 17, 2002, 15:40   #21
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
I gave it 4 stars...despite the flaws in it, it is a game that manages to keep me coming back to it and playing more, which is rare for games these days.
Different strokes I guess, Itīs exactly what Civ3 didnīt do for me (unlike all itīs predecessors).
Old April 17, 2002, 18:12   #22
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
Iīd give it a 2. Some very nice ideas (culture, the new support system, etc.) but poorly executed. But itīs getting there, maybe after a few more patches it could get a passing grade...
Surely I had too much great expectation from a Civ new game: I hoped in some great new game concept, a state of the art general appeal... a design team devoted to revolutionize the old original concept.

Of course I was a dreamer: Firaxis and Sid can't afford to do brave experiment, so they develop a honest, enough solid (after a long round of patches) if not properly balanced IMHO, conservative sequel .

I play somewhat the game, but I never feel in love with it as I did with Railroad Tycoon, Civ 1 and 2, and partially with SMAC. Of course could be my fault, but I'm a player and customer as everyone here, so you can't sue me, I suppose
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old April 17, 2002, 18:21   #23
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I gave it 3.5.

It's not close to perfect, but as a long time player of Civ1 and 2 I think it is a worthy successor and generally made improvements to the past Civ2 system. Good replay value, more features, and IMO the fact that they didn't listen to the fans at every point along the road doesn't mean the game is inferior.
Old April 17, 2002, 20:37   #24
dawidge
Warlord

If I were to judge the game on what I was expecting from it (SMAC set on Earth with improvements) I'd give it two stars.

Judging it as an evolution from CIV2, I have to give it more credit than that. Some of the concepts still need refining (as of 1.17) and there are still a few gameplay issues which don't surface without seeing what happens when people like us get together and discover things like how to abuse tech and resource trading (I hope this is better balanced in 1.21). As far as the bug-fixes go, remember that CIV2 wasn't even stable until it got to the higher patchlevels (what did it end up with, 42?).
Old April 17, 2002, 22:43   #25
Tuberski

I gave it a 3.

I haven't considered Sid Meier a game god like a lot of people do. That all left me with SMAC. I wasn't expecting, nor was I hoping for something SMAC-like. I got a game that resembled Civ 2, just as Civ 2 resembled Civ 1.

Cry all you want about how they didn't change enough of it compared to Civ 2. Do you REALLY think there is much difference between Civ1 and Civ 2?

No more of a difference than between Civ 2 and Civ 3.

They are ALL Civ 1 with 2 and 3 having some changes, but the basis for the game hasn't changed.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 18, 2002, 00:06   #26
Coracle
Prince

I would NOT consider myself to have ben ripped off if I was charged $14.95 in the Discount Bin - instead of an outrageous fifty dollars.

I don't give higher than a '2' for beta products. And I am generous.
Old April 18, 2002, 00:09   #27
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
Iīm amazed that like almost 70% gave this game a passing grade...
Is it possible that almost all the many people who were great critics of the game, such as Libertarian, are now busy doing other things having given up on it?? Damn straight. Only the gullible are left.
Old April 18, 2002, 00:16   #28
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes. It's a good thing that there are no critics of any intellectual merit remaining.
Old April 18, 2002, 02:25   #29
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 07:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Another one of these threads?
Old April 18, 2002, 03:39   #30
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Surely I had too much great expectation from a Civ new game: I hoped in some great new game concept, a state of the art general appeal... a design team devoted to revolutionize the old original concept.

Of course I was a dreamer: Firaxis and Sid can't afford to do brave experiment, so they develop a honest, enough solid (after a long round of patches) if not properly balanced IMHO, conservative sequel .

I play somewhat the game, but I never feel in love with it as I did with Railroad Tycoon, Civ 1 and 2, and partially with SMAC. Of course could be my fault, but I'm a player and customer as everyone here, so you can't sue me, I suppose
Right on, dude! I wouldnīt mind so much if the game was actually better than itīs predecessors. Which itīs not! I whined about this quite a bit since january and I still canīt figure out why they didnīt take the concept from SMAC and made a sequel to that instead. If they incorporated some of the concepts from Civ3 with SMAC it would be the greatest game ever made!

Instead they give us this half-assed clone of Civ2...