View Poll Results: How would you rate Civ III?
* 12 6.94%
1.5 10 5.78%
** 29 16.76%
2.5 26 15.03%
*** 26 15.03%
3.5 25 14.45%
**** 45 26.01%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 18, 2002, 03:45   #31
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 22:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
I gave it a 3.

I haven't considered Sid Meier a game god like a lot of people do. That all left me with SMAC. I wasn't expecting, nor was I hoping for something SMAC-like. I got a game that resembled Civ 2, just as Civ 2 resembled Civ 1.

Cry all you want about how they didn't change enough of it compared to Civ 2. Do you REALLY think there is much difference between Civ1 and Civ 2?

No more of a difference than between Civ 2 and Civ 3.

They are ALL Civ 1 with 2 and 3 having some changes, but the basis for the game hasn't changed.
Come on, Tuberski... The difference between Civ1 and Civ2 is bigger than the difference between Civ2 and Civ3. Civ2 was a great step forward, Civ3 is one step forward and two steps back
Old April 18, 2002, 03:49   #32
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

Is it possible that almost all the many people who were great critics of the game, such as Libertarian, are now busy doing other things having given up on it?? Damn straight. Only the gullible are left.
Damn right they are...just look at the stats
Old April 25, 2002, 19:56   #33
SirSebastian
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:30
Civ 3 rules... love it! I will be hard-core and do multiplayer games on Small/Standard Maps over days! =P Down with the silly complainers! booo!

btw, if you're going to quote Chomsky, you might as well not quote something lame and unbelievably self-hating and un-American... oh wait.. n/m... he has none of those quotes.

Civ1: 500+
Civ2: 100+
MoO: 200+
MoO II: 200+
SMAC: 100+
Darklands: 300+ (doh, that's out of genre, oh well...)
Old April 26, 2002, 02:58   #34
DeeEllway
Settler

Best game ever!!!
Just wanted to say that! A roaring 4!!
Old April 26, 2002, 12:57   #35
DeanToth
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironikinit
Four stars, no-brainer.

I've played pretty much the whole Civ series and its offshoots such as Colonization and SMAC, but not CtP or CtP2 which never interested me.
No offense, but I think this is why you give it 4 stars ....

So much about CTP2 is better. I suspect there was a large backlash to a non-Meier civ game which caused CTP 1 and 2 to lag in sales and interest.

Public Works (instead of workers) and stacking armies alone make me like it better. Plus more units.

The whole tedium with dozens of workers is too much.
Old April 26, 2002, 13:52   #36
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 14:30
I gave it 2.5 stars because of lack of MP and senerio ability. Maybe someday Civ3 will catch up to the modded CTP2.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 26, 2002, 18:22   #37
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 14:30
I honestly think that these posts have been far to plentiful, what it boils down to is if you like it great, keep on playing...discuss strategy etc. If you don't like it, then move on, try something new, but don't continue writing about how the game could have been better. If you want to be proactive in making a game better, switch to CTP2 or go back to Civ2. When or if Firaxis gives Civ3 more modding ability, then you can come back and try it again. I for one think that Civ3 is an excellent game, it is more challenging than Civ2 and has some very good new ideas.
Old April 26, 2002, 18:46   #38
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 16:30
you people
Now i'm probably going to get yelled at for this, but Civ3 is a much better game then Civ2(dunno about Civ1, never played it). It expands apon things, includes some good things from SMAC, and breaks new ground. Its harder then Civ2 was, the AI is better, wars are MUCH more funner. And the list goes on. I don't know what some of you were expecting, but I expected something along the same basis of Civ2, but only better. Which is what we got. Sure, theres not alot of mods but most of my civ games have been normal(besides for fantasy/sci-fi ones in test of time). It could use a few more things to make it perfect, just like Civ2 could of. But right now(as of the latest patch) it is quite enjoyable and playable. And all those who keep going "CtP2 is better", why are you frequenting a civ3 forum? Go sing praises on the CtP2 one.

Civ2=Probably about 300-400 hours
SMAC-SMACX=200 hours or so
MOO2=100 or so
MOM:50 or so
Civ3:About 50-75 so far, and yes I have played it to completion several times. I think the biggest problem some have is all there old strategys from Civ2 don't work, and its not near as easy as Civ2 was.
Old April 26, 2002, 18:50   #39
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: you people
[QUOTE] Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
Now i'm probably going to get yelled at for this, but Civ3 is a much better game then Civ2(dunno about Civ1, never played it). It expands apon things, includes some good things from SMAC, and breaks new ground. Its harder then Civ2 was, the AI is better, wars are MUCH more funner. And the list goes on. I don't know what some of you were expecting, but I expected something along the same basis of Civ2, but only better. Which is what we got. Sure, theres not alot of mods but most of my civ games have been normal(besides for fantasy/sci-fi ones in test of time). It could use a few more things to make it perfect, just like Civ2 could of. But right now(as of the latest patch) it is quite enjoyable and playable. And all those who keep going "CtP2 is better", why are you frequenting a civ3 forum? Go sing praises on the CtP2 one.
QUOTE]

how dare you say that about Civ2 and CtP2. get out CtP2 is the greatest game ever created. Even though only a few thousand people actually bought the game, and even less play it now, it is far superior to any Sid Meier title. SLiC RULEZ!!!!
Old April 26, 2002, 19:23   #40
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 17:30
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!

Insanely great game, with some interface problems which will probably get fixed. Firaxians, please read the recent suggestions in Killazer's thread.

For the record: Empire, Civ1, Civ2, and SMAC all at waaay over 100 hours.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 26, 2002, 19:46   #41
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

asleepathewhell: I didn't say CtP2 was worse or better then Civ3, I just said Civ3 was better then Civ2. I've never played CtP2 and never had much of an urge to, so I can't pass judgement on it.
Old April 26, 2002, 19:49   #42
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
asleepathewhell: I didn't say CtP2 was worse or better then Civ3, I just said Civ3 was better then Civ2. I've never played CtP2 and never had much of an urge to, so I can't pass judgement on it.
I know, I was just being sarcastic.
Old April 27, 2002, 08:28   #43
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
I honestly think that these posts have been far to plentiful, what it boils down to is if you like it great, keep on playing...discuss strategy etc. If you don't like it, then move on, try something new, but don't continue writing about how the game could have been better. If you want to be proactive in making a game better, switch to CTP2 or go back to Civ2. When or if Firaxis gives Civ3 more modding ability, then you can come back and try it again. I for one think that Civ3 is an excellent game, it is more challenging than Civ2 and has some very good new ideas.
good point But there was a lot more whining a few months ago... Coracle and Jimmytrick is the only ones that aren´t fed up with whining yet...
Old April 27, 2002, 08:38   #44
Zoid
inmate

Quote:

Civ2=Probably about 300-400 hours
SMAC-SMACX=200 hours or so
MOO2=100 or so
MOM:50 or so
Civ3:About 50-75 so far, and yes I have played it to completion several times. I think the biggest problem some have is all there old strategys from Civ2 don't work, and its not near as easy as Civ2 was.
Well I´m particulary fond of Civ2, and I must say that Civ3 HAS some very redeeming features. But then there is some features that are just plain stupid (even if they´ve been rectified to some extent in the latest patch). With the latest patch the game went up just a notch, but it still isn´t quite up to Civ2 standard yet. Not to mention SMAC-standard...
Old April 27, 2002, 08:40   #45
Zoid
inmate

Oh, and excactly which concepts from SMAC do you see in this game...
Old April 27, 2002, 08:42   #46
Bolleck
Settler

Oops.
Oops. Higher is better?

Ok. Three stars then...
Old April 27, 2002, 13:24   #47
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
Oh, and excactly which concepts from SMAC do you see in this game...
the jackal.txt

also bombard units. civ2-cannons el all could attack and capture. smax the similar units could just destroy improvements and knock down hp, but not kill. (i'm right on this, aren't I?)
Old April 27, 2002, 13:58   #48
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 15:30
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
also bombard units. civ2-cannons el all could attack and capture. smax the similar units could just destroy improvements and knock down hp, but not kill. (i'm right on this, aren't I?)
You are essentially correct (although I could wish for counterbattery fire and artillery duels). In CIV2, I would wait for howitzers, then send in an army of engineers and howitzers to buld RRs and sweep through the enemy. The 1 turn overrun is born. Artillery in CIV2 was too dominant.
Old April 27, 2002, 14:17   #49
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Hmm, just off the top of my head bombarding units and civ(faction in SMAC/SMACX) special traits. Admittedly in SMAC they were different, but its mostly along the same principle. Like Prokhovs science trait, Santiago's military trait, etc.
Old April 27, 2002, 16:52   #50
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

the jackal.txt

Yes, you´re right. I forgot about those...
Old April 27, 2002, 16:56   #51
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X

Yes, you´re right. I forgot about those...
I agree with your main point though, that there were a lot of interesting ideas in SMAX that could have been included in Civ3 but weren't.
Old April 27, 2002, 17:49   #52
Zoid
inmate

Yeah, what I really would have liked would´ve been a sequel to SMAC.

Picture this: some refugees from Chiron crash on a uninhabited but hospitable planet and stripped of most of their equipment they´re forced to rebuild civilization from scratch.

Not only can you then get a new spin on the whole Civ-thing, you also get the logical follow up to Civ2 and SMAC/X. In essence a continuing saga of human perserverance and stamina.

If they´ve kept Brian onboard and developed the SMAC-concept further and merged with the good ideas from Civ3 THAT would have been the greatest game ever made IMHO.
Old April 27, 2002, 21:59   #53
Denday
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Overall, Civ 3 is a huge disappointment.
Even i dont think that its to flash but with the mod its
pretty good come on just because u have to change some stuff doesn't make it bad
and i enjoy a game which you can change to your own prefrences.

crazy a list btween 1 and 4
Old April 27, 2002, 22:24   #54
simwiz2
Warlord

Pre-1.21 I would have given a 1.5, but things like lethal bombardment in the editor, better AI (builds riflemen over longbowmen now), and all the other little things that I can't remember right now but make it a lot more fun to play can somewhat redeem it.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old April 28, 2002, 14:09   #55
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I've just finished my first 1.21 game (monarch, continents, default rules). I still won but it was much tougher. Trading was a pain so I was lucky to not require any resources from the AI. I consistently had to trade 2 luxurys plus cash for 1 from the AI (that seems way out of balance). The AI still cant use arty but the naval battles were better.

If this game had been sold instead of the beta version I would have given it a 3 or maybe a 3.5 instead of the 2 I originally gave it.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 4, 2002, 14:21   #56
DeanToth
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
I don't see what is so innapropriate about posting on a thread thats very topic is "how do you rate this game" by answering honestly, whether positive or negative.

That said, None of us "CTP2" fans are disputing that CivIII is improved over CivII. It does indeed have good ideas and I would play CivIII over II anyday.

Still, certain additions to the game would've made it even better (i.e. army stacking, etc). Nuff said.

Now go play
Old May 4, 2002, 15:34   #57
Kc7mxo
King

I gave civ a 2.5

its fun, but has proiblems, (a notable one is that a 3HP tank attacked and lost against a 2 HP swordsman in the last game i played, and the fact that i lost a dozen or so infantry, to OTHER infantry in signle combat)

i like the AI, and i enjoy the diplomacy. i don't like the way research plays out (have to trade to stay up) and i think that they made the lower levels too difficult as well. (non-hardcore civers seem to have problems).
Old May 4, 2002, 20:23   #58
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
And all those who keep going "CtP2 is better", why are you frequenting a civ3 forum? Go sing praises on the CtP2 one.
Boy, the civ3 fans must feel threatened by people who want to compare civ-style games.

... they must be afraid that some civ3 loyalists might actually decide to give Modded CTP2 a try and decide it is actually better.

Personally, I think the freedom to make comparisons on threads like these are a good way for the informed player to make a choice, one way or another.

We all like to be informed, don't we...weighing the pros and cons of each game in reasoned debate. And with a constant influx of newbies, all of which have differing viewpoints about civ3 both pro and con, there is always the need to keep the debate fresh and vital.

After all, its just a game.

Long live free and open discourse!!!!
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old May 5, 2002, 00:07   #59
da_jaymz
Chieftain

well, Civ3 is not really mod-friendly as "the other game" but its not THAT bad either. If there is a way to implement a better combat system it would be improved by a mile. In "the other game" you could just click on a "bombard" button in a stack and all units with "bombard" ability would attack automaticly....
Combat its where it hurts the game most...all the other things I can live without but don't take away combat from me...
Old May 5, 2002, 00:54   #60
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 17:30
Personally, I think Civ 3 is okay. Compared to other games, it's not very deep at all, and tries to make up for that by including as many aspects of a strategy-civ-building game as possible, and comes up short in nearly every one of them. I rarely find the motivation to continue a game much after 500AD for some reason... I just don't feel like playing it anymore. However, it breaks new ground in a variety of areas, and who knows, Civ IV might just be "the one" ... I give it a 2.5.