Old January 14, 2001, 02:26   #1
AzNtoccata
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Combat
Combat should strike a balance between CivII unit move onto another unit combat and the Shogun: Total War of micromanagement entire individual battalions to kill each other. I suggest a combat field that should be small and units can traverse it quickly. If you get attacked in flank and back, you get combat bonus (appeasing the realistic-obsessed guys). But for every unit you control on map, you should only get like 5 on the battlefield (for simple guys). there should be a little mix in terrain. If horseman attack riflement in forest, suicide for horseman but if horseman attack riflemen in field, infantry slaughter. However, my thing will not work for naval or air combat so that can be worked out by other people. You should be able to retreat and every battlefield turn, you get a percentage chance of escaping. Every time you fail to escape, you take more damage.
I also support the idea of instant move of missiles and plans, not moving them tile by tile. Such as ordering air strikes or defending air space.
Old January 14, 2001, 02:28   #2
AzNtoccata
Chieftain

Oh right, for small skirmishes you can order generals to do it for you if you want. They should be reasonably intelligent and you can order general tactics (use lotta cavalry charge, defend alot etc)
Old January 14, 2001, 02:30   #3
AzNtoccata
Chieftain

I'll organize my thoughts into one huge organized essay later. Sorry for messiness, but when you get great ideas, get them down before you forget =).
Old January 14, 2001, 05:38   #4
Sir Shiva

Some nice ideas.. Read the post on the Battlemap..

Waiting for your megapost...

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@shivamail.com
Web: http://www.shivamail.com

Old January 14, 2001, 12:35   #5
JosefGiven
Warlord

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AzNtoccata,

quote:

Combat should strike a balance between CivII unit move onto another unit combat and the Shogun: Total War of micromanagement entire individual battalions to kill each other. I suggest a combat field that should be small and units can traverse it quickly
AzNtoccata's original words.

The thought of adding a Shogun style battlefield had occured to me, but I kept my mouth shut simply because I thought it would be too ambitious...Something for Civ 4, perhaps?

Think about it. In Shogun, you have a fairly narrow mix of infantry and cavalry. In Civ, you have stone-chucking goons, musketeers, tanks, bombers, jets, NUKES(!), battleships, etc...I could go on all day!

Would you not agree that this asking a little too much of Firaxis?

In the perfect world, of course, Civ III would be a mix of a souped-up Civ II and Shogun. This is the computer game they play in heaven.

Another point: You say that rifle infantry would loose out to cavalry in open ground. Are you sure? Don't you mean musketeers? Accurate, repeating rifles vs. cavalry would whup ass!(Yes, I am a pedantic git).

In Shogun, the way infantry fared against cavalry was determined by formation, morale, fatigue, unit facing etc... Civ III's battlefield engine would require tactically accurate representation in this vein...A logistical nightmare, given the sheer number and variety of units at the player's disposal...

------------------
Josef Given
josefgiven@hotmail.com