Old March 10, 2002, 12:50   #1
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 21:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What do you defend your cities with?
Usaullly 2 Riflemen in each...that is enough. And in ancient days. I place Hoplights/swordsmen.

I know, not good against sustained attack. But it works until you get more.

What works for you?
Old March 10, 2002, 13:00   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:31
1 or 2 of the current best defender

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old March 10, 2002, 13:00   #3
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:31
I don't defend my inner cities. Because of the new model of railroads, and enemy literally CANNOT get to them. So I only defend border cities. This makes the AI try to hop over these cities and get the undefended ones, BUT since they waste turns doing this, I can bombard them mercilessly and take them out with fast units. And since they're in my territory, they can't retreat using roads and railroads. So usually in my border cities I have about 4 defensive units, sometimes more. Also, since I don't have 2 units in every city, I pay much less in military, but I'm using my military much more effectively.
Old March 10, 2002, 13:51   #4
Thrawn05
King

Walls, three or four defenders. No planes, no artillary.
Old March 10, 2002, 17:50   #5
Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe
Chieftain

as i expand i move my offencive units along and leave 1 unit in each city and once i get railroads i lighten this further
Old March 10, 2002, 18:51   #6
Bolleck
Settler

Local Time: 22:31
Quote:
Originally posted by 1
I don't defend my inner cities. Because of the new model of railroads, and enemy literally CANNOT get to them. *snip*
Very interesting! Has the AI used ever Paratroopers against you?
Old March 10, 2002, 19:08   #7
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 12:31
By the end of the game, if it gets that far, each city has 2 modern armor, 3 mech infantry, and 1 radar artillery, and possibly some stealth bombers. That combination is unbeatable.

1: How did you get your registration date to be 1969?

Steele
Old March 11, 2002, 10:59   #8
Worthingtons
Prince

I like to defend cities in ANY possible danger with 2 of the best defender's and 2 artillery if i'm not using them elsewhere.

However, in Civ, NO defense is unbeatable, I once had a town in the hills defended with an ARMY of 4 Infantry. Yes, you read that right, an 4 unit capacity army with infantry, when the best unit around was cavalry, I also had a couple of spare infantry but with enough cavalry, the city was taken.
Old March 11, 2002, 11:46   #9
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I former used to garrison my cities with 2 defenders, altering their upgrade, like: spearman+pikeman, musketman+pikeman, musketman+rifleman, infantry+rifleman, infantry+mechinf. But in big empires that is a waste of units, the upkeep should better be spent for more mobile forces. So now I defend most of my cities with 1 unit of the best available defender, border cities may have more.
Old March 11, 2002, 11:58   #10
Spec
Emperor

I always have 2 units defending my cities (2 best def. units available) but when I hit industrial ages I make that 3. Always.

Spec.
Old March 11, 2002, 12:01   #11
Zouave
Chieftain

I have at least two units defending my cities until the end of the middle ages, when I start building a real army. Since I do not bother to defend my interior cities, my border cities sometimes have as many as 10 units in them.
Old March 11, 2002, 12:04   #12
Sava

1 unit, that's it. Usually I form a "line of control" of infantry on any land border. When the AI attacks me, I might lose a unit, but then my huge force of mobile units overwhelms them. Then I fight to the death. In my many hours of Civ 3, I've only lost 1 city. And that was because the Egyptians attacked me with 20 (yes 20) chariot units. I was Rome, and I quickly struck back and annihilated them. BTW, this was my first ever game. I keep the comp out of my territory. That is my strategy. Since you can't tell if ships have units in them, I just blockade key points to prevent comp units along my coast, that way there is no possibility for a surprise invasion. Usually, I conquer the continent I am on early on, so a land invasion isn't possible. When I play on Pangae, I usually take the AI's out one at a time by overwhelming them with numbers. I kill all units that the AI leaves out of cities, then I bombard their units in the cities to 1 HP and mop them up. I usually just raze the cities unless there is a wonder. And even then, I'll make sure to bombard the city to 1 pop point so there are less foreign citizens. I've tried other victory conditions, but they aren't as fun.

The best defense is a good offense. That's my philosophy.

Old March 11, 2002, 12:10   #13
Cookie Monster
King

Depending on what govt. type I'm in I use either 2
or 3 of the current periods' best defenders. In really
critical cities I add a bombard unit of some sort.

Then I station one or two mobile groups on roads
in my empire for mobile defense.
Old March 11, 2002, 12:11   #14
Locus
Chieftain

Great ideas above, I gotta think aobut revamping my strategy. For now, I put two of the best defenders in every city. I play as the Greeks and use Hoplites and upgrade them as I go along. If I'm short on cash, I only upgrade border cities. It is a bit expensive to have so many units, but I also use them to repulse invasions by rotating them to where there's danger a la Chariman Yang's strategy in SMAC. I can pull off dozens of defenders in a single turn to defend any breach. The AI is terrible at fighting on multiple fronts so I'm pretty safe. Also, with the new invasion model, you usually get atleast a turn to prepare for an attack. A good road network is key. Also, I use my defenders when I go to war as part of the invasion force to wreak havoc on my enemy and defend my real invaders.
Old March 11, 2002, 13:01   #15
Melboz99
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

3-4 best defenders inner, and 6-8 on the borders. Why? I'm playing on warlord and the enemy came at me with 150+ guys, most of them were cheap infantry (Pikeman, Spearmen, Longbowman, Swordsman.) But there was a good 20 cossacks, and maybe 10 infantry and rifelman. I had no source of rubber, (in fact, thats why I started the war) so I only had rifelman, 250 of'em! I moved all my units where there was mor than three per city, and then 2, down to the battlefield. I only produced about fifty more. It come in really handy to be able to attack with mass forces at a moments notice. Plus, my cities are usualy well defended.
Old March 11, 2002, 13:56   #16
BillChin
Warlord

Local Time: 13:31
Garrisons are most useful for their happiness bonus under Despotism and Monarchy. I prefer to mass my troops into attacking stacks. Say a player has a garrison of four units per city and has 20 cities. By cutting each garrison to two, a player gets two attacking stacks of 20 units each. 40 attacking units is often enough to take out an entire Medieval Age empire on a large map!

Ancient age:
1 warrior plus 1 spearman, maybe three of four units if an enemy has forces massed at the border.

Medieval age:
1 Pikeman, border cities get 2 Pikes, add one Knight or swordsmen during war time. Later Musketmen. If the enemy has roaming Calvary or Knights, much more defense is needed, maybe four units in border cities.

Industrial age:
No defense needed for most cities because of railroads. A rapid response force of four tanks or calvary can protect the entire empire. Drafting can make up the gap in the unusual event of huge enemy landing force. Border cities get 1 Infantry or 1 Rifleman + 1 other unit. More than this is usually fluff. It is very hard to take out Infantry without tanks. Mass reinforcements can be sent in if an enemy gets close enough to attack a city. All the rest of the units go on the offense to destroy the enemies ability to make more units.

Modern age:
Same as Industrial age except use Mech Infantry for garrison and Modern Armor for rapid response
Old March 12, 2002, 01:37   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I normally defend with 1 warrior in each city, then begin building veteran spearmen in a few cities for all of them. The warriors then become my spare army units along with some new swordsmen, which then crush a nearby civ and gain me the whole island that I am on.

After that, I normally try to get my cities defended by a second spearman in each city, then upgrade as appropriate.
Old March 12, 2002, 02:24   #18
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

A rusty dagger and a mop bucket....

Actually, I usually only have a single, token defender except in border bases (2 if peaceful, 3 if relations are melting down)

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 12, 2002, 04:37   #19
kailhun
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator
I always have 2 units defending my cities (2 best def. units available) but when I hit industrial ages I make that 3. Always.

Spec.
Does the AI declare war on you often?
My theory is that if you are strong militarily (Civ 3 count) the AI is a wimp. Having 2-3 units in every city gives you a strong army and therefore the Ai wimps out a lot.
I usually just have 1 of the best in a city, although in my current game my home island has just 1 spearman in every city while musketmen are available.
There were a couple of Dutch cities on the Island, but they declared war on me after I told them to get their cheesy selves of my Roman soil. Kicked them off the Island, of course. A good thing there are only galleys available.
I am expecting ships to drop of an invasion force soon as the AI bee-lines straight for your weakest city even if they haven't developed spies.

Robert
Old March 12, 2002, 04:55   #20
Deathwalker
Prince

1 or 2 of the best defenders depending on what the location of the city is
Old March 12, 2002, 08:27   #21
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 05:31
I usually leave my interior cities empty once I have railroads and I use the same concept mentioned before of a mobile reponse group.

One thing I've worried about is my coastal cities after the AI civs get marines. Do I need to keep them strongly defended? Has anyone ever had an AI launch a surprise attack with Marines?
Old March 12, 2002, 11:31   #22
Carver
Prince

amphibious asaults
The AIs with marines keep me up at night too. However, after scores and scores of hours playing I have never had the AI attack me with a marine from the sea. In fact I wonder if the AI is programmed with how to use the marines. I know the AIs build them because I run into the little guys when I invade. Obviously, if the AI does know how to use them, important coastal cities would need to be stacked with the best defenders.
Old March 12, 2002, 12:06   #23
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:31
Interior cities get one defender each, that's all. I suppose I could remove even those, but I often have RoP agreements with neighbors, and I've been sneak attacked before. Border towns often have 2 defenders, sometimes many more, depending on geography/relations. My mobile attackers (horsemen/knights/cav/tanks) generally live in border towns, or one town back, in large numbers. That way, if I get hit, I can respond immediately, with strength.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 12, 2002, 12:17   #24
Cookie Monster
King

I can see that we have two different camps here.

Those who defend all cities with 2 or more units and those who prefer to leave one or no units in cities. Those who do the latter probably are able to juggle mobile reserves around to respond to threats with great skill. The former tend to be of the type who would survive MP better IMHO.

Why you ask. Because humans are unpredictable and therefor heavy defenses in all cities is necessary to counter the wild behaviour of a fellow human.

This begs another question however. Does the person who choses to garrison cities with one defender have more available troops for front line duty? I would think so. Provided you are aware of your surroundings you have more troops available to strike at your foes. However if they sneak forces in a lightly defended sector then you're in trouble.

You can tell a lot about a person from reading their opinions on garrison strengths.
Old March 12, 2002, 15:19   #25
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 00:31
My defense strategy varies somewhat. If I'm the only on the continent, it's 2 defenders per city, 3 in strategically important, and a unit on each strategic resource I got. Of course, I do also have other guys scattered over the territorry in strategic locatons.

If I have a land border with someone, I have lots of defenders in the border cities, and I do also place almost my whole army just behind the border. I've had those wars breaking out with such "friends", and then it was some Apacolypse like fighting.

Also, Bombers are an integral part of my defense strategy.
Old March 12, 2002, 15:29   #26
Cookie Monster
King

Hey, how did "1" who's only a settler get his own custom avatar? Also how is it possible to have registered in 1970?
Old March 12, 2002, 15:32   #27
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 00:31
Date for all those who registered before March 1999 shows as 1970, due to a mistake which happened when we upgraded the forums about a year ago. Since 1 is registered for more than a year, he can get a custom avatar, despite being only a Settler.
Old March 12, 2002, 22:59   #28
Signa
Warlord

Mine...
Ancient Era => I usually use a pair of Spearman right off the bat or a Hoplite. In one game I used Bowman which turned out preatty well. Last is a Legion. But I didn't need them to defend because I was attacking with them. And a firecrew of a few Horsemen. Try and attack first in the ancient era.

Medieval Period => I usually am Greeks so I keep using Hoplites at first, later I get a huge force of Knights. Maybe a force of Longbowmen to stand behind a city on a road for a instand counterattack.

Industrial Age => This is tricky. I usually put a ton of Rifleman on my border and coastal cities at first, and later go all out Infantry to replace them, and move the Rifleman inland. Later on a force of Tanks for firefighting.

Modern Time => Very simple. A pair of Mechanized Infantry in every city first. Second, a line of Modern Armor in the cities behind my border cities for counters. Third, a air force stationed so the border cities are at the extremes of their range. And last a Radar Artillery in every border city.

Overall, the counterattack makes or breaks you day, and a force of powerful counterattackers (Horsemen, Knights, Cavalry, Tanks, Armor) can really be useful as a reserve. And the value of bombardment unit in a city is really underated. The later in the game the easier it is to defend.
Old March 12, 2002, 23:19   #29
Qilue
King

Local Time: 07:31
Initially 2 of the best available at the time of city founding with border cities getting 6-8 of the best available along with catapults/cannon/artillery. Later when I have time and gold, I upgrade all those spearmen/pikemen/musketmen into infantry.

When I get steam power, I usually have around 100-120 native workers, so as long as I get a coal resource, the railroads get constructed really fast. Slaves, er captured workes get sold for whatever looks intesting.

I also keep a number of quick response stacks of horsemen/knights/cavalry around my territory until railroads, when I then consolidate them. These are then replaced with tanks as they become available.

Having had undefended cities attacked and taken under a RoP agreement, I no longer leave any city undefended.
Old March 13, 2002, 09:40   #30
Panzer
Warlord

One or two in my core cities. two to three near my borders. If my neighbour is hostile and agressive, I place a lot more troops in those bordercities, usually the best defensive unit available plus some offensive units to take the fight to them when the opportunity arrives. I usually forget to upgrade my core city defenders until Infantry becomes available. So that means that while my borders are well protected with Infantry and Riflemen, my core cities are protected by Warriors and Spearmen.