Old July 29, 2000, 16:49   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Election to the U.N.
In Civ III you should be able to get elected 'Planetary Governor' as in Alpha Centauri.
You would achieve that by receiving the votes of all seven faction leaders plus a factoring of how high your score is in relation to theirs.

Here are some ideas on the 'Planetary Governor' screen options

-Revoke Atrocity Charter (Allows Atrocity)
-World Trade Commission (Trade +1 All squares)
-Free Immigration (+1 Pop in all of your bases and your allies)
-???
Please feel free to add any to the list if you feel fit.
Old July 29, 2000, 18:37   #2
phunny pharmer
Chieftain

What! No atrocity in the first part of the game! I have to wait for a stupid wonder!

I don't like the waiting part. Take Gengis Kahn (or however you spell his name). Did it take him a world charter to allow him to raze and pillage all the cities he passed through?

Better would be 'implement world peace charter' This would not allow atrocities committed with modern weapons.

How about a test ban treaty. Cuts off ***all*** tests on nuclear technology. Signers would have a 50% (?) chance of being caught if they were building missles in a city. Only applies for volentary signers, though.

Who can forget our ABM treaty? This would start repealed, but I expect the first SDI builder would quickly find himslef/herself in some problems. Stop SDI defenses, and make the world go insane with nuclear war.

And of course, you could throw in the Kellog-Briand pact of the 1920s and '30s: no war
Old July 29, 2000, 21:21   #3
Vitmore The Great
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I like the idea of a Planetary Governor. It could be a way to win the game, form a world gov't. It should be an optional victory though, because who wouldn't want to keep on playing as the World Leader? This was done in Master of Orion II, only you were elected leader of the Galactic Republic. If you were to use this option it would encourage you to be affable to other civs, or be more terrorizing. If you are allied with everybody, uniting the planet should be easier.

Vitmore
Old July 30, 2000, 14:00   #4
phunny pharmer
Chieftain

OK. Sorry. The sarcasm didn't carry over. I did, do, and will never want to see a 'no war' proposal in any game. How else would you propose making an end to the game??? And, of course, all the computers would vote for it because they are getting rocked all the time.

And, if you want a few more, "modern" proposals:

1) outlaw cloning
2) outlaw nuke testing in outer space
3) outlaw underage soldiers
4) act as international mediator between two civs with nuclear weapons

Don't exactly ask me how these are to be implemented, or what they would do. But they are some of the things the actual UN has done.
Old July 30, 2000, 16:12   #5
Christantine The Great
Prince

I started a thread a long time ago about this topic. It has a U.N. model that was not completed. It also has some basic protocol for other international organizations. Here it is: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum6/HTML/001445.html

------------------
"Adorare Christantine!!!"
Republican Decree #1
[This message has been edited by Christantine The Great (edited July 30, 2000).]
Old July 30, 2000, 20:12   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Well Christantine my ideas for the UN in this post are fairly different from yours but I'll read it. I bumped the post up so everyone could read it.

-DC
Old July 31, 2000, 00:17   #7
DarkCloud
staff

Well, so far in summary what we have for Planetary Governor is.
Edited topics have a * by them.
Whoever suggested it is in brackets ex. [Dark Cloud]

1. Terms of Initiation: Planetary Governor only begins when the advance for United Nations is discovered. When the advance is discovered then the UN Head/ Planetary Governor can be elected. [Dark Cloud]

2. Powers.
A. Instate U.N. Charter (No Nukes detonated, No Biochemical Weapons produced
) [Dark Cloud]
a. If it is discovered your civilization is producing Biochemical Weapons, by a spy with the new spy option 'Search Secret Classified Files' then war is declared upon you by every nation that has the 'Civilized' button pushed, you know the Americans, Babylonians, Aztec etc. It is an option for all civs. The Mongols don't have it and neither do the Sioux, I believe.
[Dark Cloud] and [Phunny Pharmer]

B. Repeal U.N. Charter (Allows Nukes and Biochemical Weapons)
[Dark Cloud]

C.World Trade Commission (Trade +1 All squares)
[Dark Cloud]

*D.Free Immigration (+1 Population in the cities of the country with the lowest Army Service and the country with the highest Gross Domestic Product. -1 Population in the cities of any other civ's cities unless the city is size "1-4" then noone emigrates from the nation.[Dark Cloud and Mo]

E.Disallow Missile Defense Systems (No SDI'S)
(If you build it everyone knows 1st turn 25% chance to know. 2nd turn-27% chance and so on. If you build it means war.)
[Phunny Pharmer]

F.Allow Missile Defense Systems
[Phunny Pharmer]

G. Outlaw Cloning
When Cloning is discovered your population would receive a bost, this would disallow any boost in anyones population (Consequences would be similar to the Missile Defense System's)
[Phunny Pharmer]

H.Unite Behind Me as Supreme Leader
[Dark Cloud] [Vitmore the Great]
-it is an optional victory option, you can continue to play until you have conquered everyone if you so wish.

I.Outlaw Underage Soldiers
- All Civs lose 1/10th of their armies but their is one extra Happy person at each base.
[Phunny Pharmer]

J.Money Lending
- The U.N. Treasury collects 'dues' of 1% of each empires annual income. If your empire does not choose to pay these by clicking a special button, or is not able to (it is broke) then it loses it's vote.
[Doomer and Dark Cloud]
- You can be 'lent' money by the U.N. from the treasury and must pay it back in a specified number of turns, failture to do so will lose you your vote and if you are Planetary Governor/ UN head you will be voted out of office.
[Doomer]

K.Unit Lending
-How about when you are Secretary-General of the UN, other Civs would be able transfer some of their units to your control to undertake international military or peacekeeping operations ( a la US in Persian Gulf).
[Vitmore the Great]

3.Offices of the UN
AND POWERS

A. You will be UN Head/Governor for at least 10 years, until the next election unless you are voted out of office. (It can only be proposed once every 10 years and even then only if the problem is large and clear- Everyone is notified of the situation in a pop-up box.
[Dark Cloud]

B.Offices
- These offices are based on Machivelli The Prince which was a great computer trading game from Microprose in 1994.
-UN Head - Controls UN actions and can propose measures. He also can sanction countries etc.
-Treasurer - Controls UN Money. If embezzled he is impeached.
-UN VP- If UN head is impeached the VP takes office. The VP can accuse one member of the UN of corruption every five years. That member, if acquitted, loses his vote. That member also experiences animosity towards the VP.
[Dark Cloud]

C.Infiltration and Stealing
- A spy unit can attempt to steal money from the UN treasury by entering the capital city of the UN treasurer, however if he is caught the offending country loses its vote and is sanctioned against. (Loses all trade for x number of terms)
[Dark Cloud and Cristantine]

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE IN THIS POST IT LISTS ALL IDEAS!

[This message has been edited by DarkCloud (edited July 30, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by DarkCloud (edited August 10, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by DarkCloud (edited August 10, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by DarkCloud (edited September 03, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by DarkCloud (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old July 31, 2000, 14:02   #8
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 18:41
As with most ideas of this nature, it is much more appropriate to implement this in a scenario with your own custom events and units. Way, way too specialized for the main game.
Old August 8, 2000, 17:04   #9
phunny pharmer
Chieftain

How is this too specialized? If anyone else would add their own ideas, then there could be lots of options in Civ3. Hey, in a text file, they could have a way to turn options on and off. That would be cool- multiple options that you could control!
Old August 10, 2000, 11:55   #10
DarkCloud
staff

This isn't micromanaging Steve, the very idea is fairly simple, the options could appear after certain tech advances were discovered.

It was nicely implemented in Alpha Centauri and made the game much more fun. It would have been even better however if there were more options.
Old August 12, 2000, 01:59   #11
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:41
Haven't got enough time to read the whole topic, but I agree that more option should be available to the planetray governor/council. It was very well done in SMAC but I just felt it was a bit shortchanged by the extremity/shallowness of the option. It was either raise sea levels (extreme), or salvage unity core (who cares?). More stuff is needed, and would be hard to incorporate into the game, just add the stuff to the existing list of stuff to do in the council.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old September 2, 2000, 11:27   #12
DarkCloud
staff

*Bump

Any more ideas on this subject?
Old September 2, 2000, 11:58   #13
Vitmore The Great
Chieftain

How about when you are Secretary-General of the UN, other Civs would be able transfer some of their units to your control to undertake international military or peacekeeping operations ( a la US in Persian Gulf). This could be implemented as a form of the original option to give military unit in Civ II. Civs would just be more generous with this option.

Vitmore
Old September 3, 2000, 15:40   #14
DarkCloud
staff

Good Idea, I'll add it to the list.

Thank you.
Old September 11, 2000, 22:11   #15
DarkCloud
staff

*Bump*

This topic is once again being discussed and as this is *My* thread, I thought I should bump it up.
Old September 11, 2000, 23:02   #16
Mo
Warlord

I disagree with the free immigration giving your nation and your allies a greater population. Just because you got elected Planetary Governor doesn't mean you aren't a oppressive dictator or something. There have to be some more criteria than just being planetary governor to justify most of the people moving to your country. You could make them move to the richest country or to the country with the highest GDP or something.
Old September 12, 2000, 20:27   #17
DarkCloud
staff

Okay Mo, that is a good idea, I'll update it.
Old September 22, 2000, 09:43   #18
DarkCloud
staff

*Bump.*
-Someone was speaking about this again.
Old September 22, 2000, 18:01   #19
Shadowstrike
Emperor

DC, you should really be the Prince of *BUMP* instead....
Old September 22, 2000, 21:18   #20
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:41
I reckon that half of DC's posts up to prince came simply by posting "*bump*".

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old September 23, 2000, 17:48   #21
DarkCloud
staff

Well someone was speaking about this again.

-Hey if you 'BUMP' it's not spam.
-I calculated the averages and only about 1/4 came through bumps.

*BUMP*
Old September 25, 2000, 14:34   #22
Gen. Thomas Jackson

Are all nations that discover the UN advance obligated to join? The entrance into the UN should be voluntatry.

Is there a benefit to being the first nation to discover the UN advance? Maybe not having to pay dues or some other benefit

One more thing...
I think that the nuclear treties need to be between several countries not every one under the UN umbrella.

Old January 14, 2001, 17:01   #23
DarkCloud
staff

If they do not join the UN then they will be pronounced upon war by the other nations when everyone discovers the UN.
Old January 14, 2001, 17:14   #24
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:41
quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 09-23-2000 05:48 PM
Well someone was speaking about this again.

If that was reason enough, i could go on "bumbing" some my own topics over and over again.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited January 14, 2001).]
Old July 14, 2001, 17:22   #25
DarkCloud
staff

bump.
Old July 14, 2001, 18:31   #26
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i love the kellog briand pact. it's probably the funniest historical document of all time.

"war will not be used as a diplomatic tool"

AHHAHAHAHAH
Old July 14, 2001, 18:42   #27
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:41
Stop bumping old threads fools.
Old July 14, 2001, 18:58   #28
DarkCloud
staff

Eli... stop spamming... Go back to the OT and spam... oh wait- post counts in the OT don't count any more

This is relevant- someone else brought the subject up again, and as far as I can see- this is the most comprehensive UN thread ever.
Old July 14, 2001, 23:18   #29
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:41
How about having UN committees? That way some of you can relive the thrill of kicking the US off of the committees!