Old March 10, 2002, 23:12   #1
PMGretzky
Settler

Local Time: 16:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help Please (WinXP)
I am having trouble with Civ 3 in Win XP.

Whenever I start a game I can play for a while, usually until the late BC years, and then the game crashes.

If I restart Civ 3 and load my game from the same spot it crashes again at the exact same time, usually after the end of a turn.

I have installed the latest patch, 1.17f, and I am getting really frustrated. I have tried running Civ 3 in Compatability Mode but it doesn't work.

Help Please!
Old March 11, 2002, 06:21   #2
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 21:32
Try using another OS Windows XP sucks I only ewver got a few games to run on it with out crashing. All the others just crashed when ever they wanted. It seems that when Microsfot made it more resilient to crashes they did nothing to make the software more reiable. Try Windows 2000, that ones quite good
Old March 11, 2002, 08:02   #3
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 22:32
Im running fine on XP-HE ... Considering it is technically NT with pretty graphics and a few additions/subtractions .. changing your operating system would be meaningless, unless you go back to 95/98 .. and I could not get Civ3 to even start on 98 (due to out of data Graphic drivers im assuming).

Have you been playing with the editor ??????? cos if you have, that is your problem .. I have never once been able to make a single change to the CIV3.bic file without getting a crash at some point ..

Re-install the game, add your patches, and try again (unless you saved your original .BIC file, in which case .. simply replace it).
Old March 11, 2002, 08:25   #4
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 07:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i am running windows XP on a 733MHz machine with 32 MBRam and civ 3 runs fine !!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old March 11, 2002, 08:39   #5
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 23:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
i am running windows XP on a 733MHz machine with 32 MBRam and civ 3 runs fine !!!
32 MB RAM?

Do you play small maps or what.

RAM is much more important then MHzs.

Personally I play mostly standard games (8 Civs).
Everything else is just too slow.

333Hmz Celeron, 64MB RAM

I will add some RAM soon, and try to see some real difference.

Constant swapping is annoying.
Old March 11, 2002, 09:44   #6
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 22:32
Although Player1 is absolutly correct, 32Mb will end up leaving you using massive amounts of Virtual memory .. slowing down certain aspects of the game .. however, it must be remembered ... Windows only pages out of idle memory, memory which is not considered active .. and that still leaves the user with 32Mb of active memory .. The memory being processed in Active memory will be limited by the memory speed, and the processors speed at executing the process .. so if the data is comming from HDisk (virtual memory) .. it will be Very slow indeed .. but if the data has got into Active memory (which is likely) .. then your not going to see slow down in that process, and your clock speed is important .. so its not as simple as it all seems ..

As a general rule, 32Mb sucks .. especially if you go launching all kinds of stuff like virus checkers, seti clients etc, which alone together could use all of your active memory ..

Ive ran NT on 16Mb of ram before .. XP is not (as I say) much different .. I just didn't start up any processes ... didn't dare
Old March 11, 2002, 13:03   #7
PMGretzky
Settler

Local Time: 16:32
I have tried re-installing the game with the new patch...still crashes at the exact same spot.

I can't exactly just go out and buy a new OS every time a game doesn't work so I need to figure out how to get it to work under Win XP.

I am running an Athon 1000 MHz with 256 MB of RAM and a ATI Radeon 64MB video card.

The wierd thing is that Civ 3 was working fine until I installed the new patch (1.17f). So I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it without the 1.17f patch, using the 1.16f one instead...same problem, same crash, exact same spot.

And it happens every time even if I start a new game, it always seems to crash in the late BC years.

Is it possible for a software company to release a product that works well RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!