Old January 8, 2001, 19:30   #1
Matthew Hayden
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Scenarios?
Here is a nice little thread where you can share your scenario ideas with me and anyone else who should so happen to be listening, (Hint, Hint) ie: Firaxis.
Old January 9, 2001, 21:50   #2
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

aahh, Matt, there is already a thread started by *Firaxis* (Dan Magaha), he asks what you want to be able to do with scenarios for civ3. just go there, and list your ideas.
Old January 9, 2001, 23:36   #3
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Diablo,

I think Matt means what scenarios do you want to play (i.e. Battle of the Bulge, the Trojan War, Gettysburg)

For me I think it is to soon to begin discussing these things. I am much more interested in how the random map is going to work and how the game is going to come together.
Old January 10, 2001, 00:42   #4
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Tniem,

Thanks for that thought, I didn't know that is what he was talking about. If you are right, then I would like to see some historical scenarios, heres a minor list of ones I would like to see:

1. World War 2 (which would be the entire war, beginning with the dispansion of the treaty of versaille, up to the surrender of Japan to the USA abord the USS Missouri)

2. battle of the bulge.

3. normandy landing. (D-Day invasion)

4. World war 1, from beginning to end.

5. american revolution.

6. civil war.

7. 100 years war.

8. scottish wars of independence.

9. the final crusade. (Richard the Lionheart)

10. william the conquorer and the normans.

11. fall of the roman empire.

12. rise of the roman empire. (or you could just combine both, and call it, the Roman empire)

13. the rise and fall of greece.

14. the native americans.

15. the nephites and lamanites. (this one is NOT fictional)

16. the seven years war. (french and indian war)

well, thats about all the historical scenarios. heres a very minor list of the others I want to see:

1. World War III: the fall of America.

2. a nation is reborn: the story of america after world war III.

note to the last 2: I could personally create these two, just in case you can't.

those are the only two I could think of that I would like to see (that are fictional).

p.s. Tnien, I agree, I think it is way too early to start talkin about scenarios we want to see in civ-3. I just thought i'd give this list since I was already on this thread.
Old January 10, 2001, 12:48   #5
tniem
King

Diablo,

Your list looks good. I just hope Firaxis doesn't make most of these.

I think the way Civ II had a couple of scenarios was good, the rest can be made by the obsessed Civ-gamers.

P.S. I'll be looking for your two fictional scenarios.
Old January 10, 2001, 19:41   #6
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 16:41
Right On Diablo! I wouldn't have guessed you believed in Mormonism from your user name, but I won't hold it against you. Would the Nephite-Lamanite on be the entire BofM, or just the final battles? If I had to choose, I'd pick the former. Asking for more than one based on the BofM would be too much, so how about: the dispersion of Noah's early descendants; the Exodus, the Israelite conquest of Canaan; the Loss of the 10 tribes; the Babylonian conquest of Judah; the Roman destruction of Jerusalem; the Mormon Migration, Settlement, and Wars with the Indians and Gentiles; and Armageddon as prophesied in the Bible. Naturally, one does not have to believe all of these were fact in order to appreciate them.

There could also be the Spanish conquest of the Natives (meant to be played as the Aztecs, Incas, etc?), and why have I never seen a Viet Nam computer game?

Nothing in this post should be construed as hatred toward anyone, certainly not antisemitism, or feelings of superiority.
Old January 10, 2001, 20:13   #7
Mo
Warlord

30 years war
Old January 10, 2001, 20:30   #8
Brent
Prince

Maybe settlement of Mars/the Moon, or the historical moon landings. Maybe a mini-Alpha Centauri game? Maybe a simple and original scenario of exploration of several nearby star systems, where the terrain would represent space rather than maps for different planets. Maybe try a moving map of our solar system, using the same mechanics for a scenario that includes plate tectonics. Maybe a Neanderthal or Ice Age thing, trying to become a civilization. Certainly have scenarios from ancient mythology (Greco-Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Chinese, Native American, for examples). I think that some scenarios should be more about diplomacy, exploration, or building rather than conquest, or maybe something other than any of these. I want at least a dozen scenarios, and maybe have several themed scenario expansions, like scifi, mythology, biblical, and separate ones for different parts of the world and for different eras.
Old January 10, 2001, 21:41   #9
New Yorker
Chieftain

i got a few of my own historic scenarios

1)Napoleonic Wars(napoleon's rise, fall & 2nd try)

2)German unification

3)the rise & fall of Ottoman Empire

4)Italian unification

5)Unification of two Egypts in ancient times

6)Pre-WW I Balkan conflicts

7)The era of Elizabeth I

8)Colonization of America(conflicts not only w/ indians but w/ other european powers

9)Crimea War

10)Cold War

11)The People of the Sea(not a fictional)
in war w/ New Kingdom of ancient Egypt at its decline

12)Peter the Great's westernization program of Russia
Now here r some fictional scenarios

1)if the Cold War turned into a hot 1

2)if Germany won WW II & remaining opponents resist german power

3)war between China & America in our time

4)Alien Invasion

5)Return of the Soviet Union

6)American-Canadian War(not so much the South Park way, ok maybe the South Park way...Blame Canada...)

Sorry if i made any of u canadians angry

-----------------------------
and across the US nothing but sunny weather, well expect for Seattle
Old January 10, 2001, 22:43   #10
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:41
Being a great fan of Harry Turtledove's books (alternate history) I offer these....

1. The Great War: The American Front (2nd civil war) Twice in the past fifty years, the Confederacy has humiliated it's Northern neighbor. Now, in 1914, France and England are locked in battle with Germany...leaving the US free to deal with the CSA.

2. World War: In the Balance It's 1942, and the world is on fire, with Axis forces advancing on every front.
Then the Aliens invade. (I'm dead serious)

~Okay, now for historical.

1. The Texan Revolution

2.The Napoleanic(sp) wars.

3.The Vikings vs. the Skrealings

4.And, Israel vs. the Arab world.

------------------
"You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you"

"Soylant Green is people. PPPeeeoooppllleee!"
Old January 11, 2001, 01:57   #11
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:41
Diablo,

very good ideas, indeed!! I like them!!(especially the fictional, nothing personally, americans )

I would like:

*The unification of Norway (I don't think Firaxis will do that, but I mention it anyway )
*The Russian revolution(s) (all of them, as far as I know it was actually THREE of them, witch the last one was the communistic)
*The colonization of Africa
*Ghengis Kahn's conquest of Asia

Fictional:

*Fall of Atlantis
*World War IV: Nuclear Winter(since Diablo used #3, I had to use #4 ) The story line: After the fall of USA, the world is a dangerous place to live. Terrorists and nations of the third world all wants to fill the gap of the super power. the followers of Osmin bin Laden and Saddam Hussein collaborates and starts a war against the Western world. With nuclear missiles.......
*After World War IV: The build up of a new life

------------------
Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Yes!!
birteaw@online.no
Old January 11, 2001, 15:30   #12
Brent
Prince

Yes, the Viking exploration of Iceland, Greenland, Vinland, and allow them to go farther. I can see focussing on combat with the Skraelings, or not.

There should be some scenarios that cover just a particular waror other small portion of a history, and some that span an entire history, and some scenarios should use randomly generated maps. In MGE, there were scenarios that did not take place on Earth, but for each, you always had to use the same map.
Old January 11, 2001, 15:39   #13
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Brent on 01-10-2001 06:41 PM
Right On Diablo! I wouldn't have guessed you believed in Mormonism from your user name, but I won't hold it against you. Would the Nephite-Lamanite on be the entire BofM, or just the final battles? If I had to choose, I'd pick the former. Asking for more than one based on the BofM would be too much, so how about: the dispersion of Noah's early descendants; the Exodus, the Israelite conquest of Canaan; the Loss of the 10 tribes; the Babylonian conquest of Judah; the Roman destruction of Jerusalem; the Mormon Migration, Settlement, and Wars with the Indians and Gentiles; and Armageddon as prophesied in the Bible. Naturally, one does not have to believe all of these were fact in order to appreciate them.

There could also be the Spanish conquest of the Natives (meant to be played as the Aztecs, Incas, etc?), and why have I never seen a Viet Nam computer game?

Nothing in this post should be construed as hatred toward anyone, certainly not antisemitism, or feelings of superiority.

Hahaha!!! YEs, I can understand that me loving the game diablo would make me non-LDS (for those of you that arent 'mormon', that means: Ladder Day Saints) since the game 'diablo' is rather dark. But yes, I am LDS...and proud of it.

About the lamanites-nephites, I would say make two scenarios, one of the whole MoM (Book of Mormon), and the other, just about the war with Captain Moroni and Amalikia (forgot how to spell it, I havent read that part for a while )
[This message has been edited by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto (edited January 11, 2001).]
Old January 11, 2001, 15:50   #14
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 18:41
Only historical-based scenarios, please. None of the sci-fi/fantasy crap.

Actually, Firaxis should just spend the time to create two diverse scenarios (Rome and WW2?) that give scenario-builders an idea of how do create a custom scenario (along with great documentation).

Two months after the release of Civ3, I expect to play any one of the 16 that Diablo mentioned (except for #15).
Old January 11, 2001, 16:10   #15
Brent
Prince

I don't think it's fair of us to want a mainstream game to incude something from a book only believed by our religious group. Instead, we need a really, really good scenario editor. It should be designed to do practically anything, and should be usable. And include documentation, maybe a special strategy guide for that. Must be able to include our own text messages, and actually I think in the regular game we should be able to change the names of our computer opponents.

And Steve, why shouldn't sci fi and fantasy scenarios be included? No one will force you to play them, and I don't think it will delay the game or increase the cost. Arent Rome and WW2 the ones included in the original Civ2? Why do the exact same thing? I want a wider variety than just 2, and no matter how good the editor, there will be some unable to create something as good as Firaxis can. Maybe five scenarios are enough for the original game, and maybe these can all be historical, but I do want expansions to include biblical, mythological, scifi, and fantasy scenarios. I suppose they could fit everything on one disk.
Old January 11, 2001, 17:23   #16
bagdar
Warlord

I don't really like to play scenarios, but here's something I want to comment on: how on earth could there be a scenario about the rise and fall of rome? If it starts in the beginning and every civ acts exactly the opposite of what they did back at the times, there'll be no fall, perhaps. Civ II's built-in scenarios focusing on the spesific events in the historical conflicts was the best approach possible.
Old January 11, 2001, 18:45   #17
Brent
Prince

I do think that Civ should be somewhat more educational, and it can be done moreso in scenarios. And why should education mean something is for kids? But how many times does it have to be said that Civ is about changing history? If you want pure history, why play a game? It makes sense for a scenario to be titled for the way the event really happened even if the game turns out differently. Sometimes one wants more variety than can be found in the main game, and that is why I like scenarios. I don't see why, as is said of Civ2's scenarios, that they have to be strictly for when the main game is too easy and thus the scenarios are all meant to be more challenging. Oh, and by the way, Alternate History, which Civ is, is itself a branch of Science Fiction.
Old January 11, 2001, 21:06   #18
Jer8m8
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by New Yorker on 01-10-2001 08:41 PM

Is that pre 4000 BC?
Old January 11, 2001, 21:52   #19
Lonestar
inmate
King

quote:

Only historical-based scenarios, please. None of the sci-fi/fantasy crap.

~Ahem~, the proper term is "Alternate History".

------------------
"People should know when they're conquered."

"Would you Quintis? Would I?"

"Soylant Green is people. PPPeeeoooppllleee!"
Old January 12, 2001, 10:07   #20
Wazell
Chieftain

Don't you think that if Firaxis makes alternate history scenarios, they'll use ideas of their own and not from these forums. So it's useless to beg for them. Same goes for sci-fi/fantasy scenarios. There won't be a Lord Of The Rings or Dune scenario officially made by Firaxis because they have no rights to use them as basis. Maybe they'll do some imaginative fantasy scenarios, though, like MicroProse folks did in Fantastic Worlds add-on disk (which is fantastic btw).

But historical scenarios should include more than only this 'from Ancient Greece to Post WWIII USA'. They could be set in precolumbian America, subsaharan Africa, India, China and even Polynesia. This way civ includes more of the history. But I agree that the main game is much more important than shipping scenarios. Just give us excellent scenario editor!
Old January 12, 2001, 21:30   #21
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Nikolai,

Unification of Norway- into what? Does it take over the world?

-Viking Power!
Old January 13, 2001, 08:54   #22
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 01-12-2001 08:30 PM
Nikolai,

Unification of Norway- into what? Does it take over the world?

-Viking Power!

I forgot that all of you people of course didn't know that.... In the end of the "viking age", which lasted from circa 800 to 1050 AD, Norway consisted of numberless "kingdoms". But then a man called Harald 1 Haarfagre(Haarfagre is in english something like "beautiful hair)", one of the kings, began to conquer the other kingdoms to unite them under his rule in God's name(he was a Christian). He promised that he wouldn't cut his hair before he had maked this(therefore he got the name "Haarfagre).
And just as you know it; he maked it!

------------------
Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Yes!!
birteaw@online.no
[This message has been edited by Nikolai (edited January 13, 2001).]
Old January 13, 2001, 19:57   #23
Matthew Hayden
Chieftain

I would want a campaign that spanned all of history and basically made the AIs stick loosely to what really happened over the centuries.

This would have to include civs dying out and new civs springing up.

This may be impractacle, but it seemed a good idea.

Also, the AIs should alter their tactics if you become a leading power and start attacking them, otherwise you could conquer the world without any trouble.
Old January 14, 2001, 06:14   #24
Sir Shiva

Some good ideas here...

I wonder if this would work: Larger campaigns consisting of several scenarios. This way, for different stages in a historical event, the rules, civs etc. could change.

As for my ideas:-
-----------------
  • COLONISATION SCENARIO, preferably of Africa.. V. IMP!

Vikings

Napoleonic Wars

Arabs vs. Israel

WWII Pacific Theatre

Gengis Khan

An idea for a larger campaign?

Colonisation of India:-
  • Arrival of European Traders, establishing footholds
    War among Brits and French
    Diplomatic Takeover of Indian States
    1857 Revolution
    War of Independence and Partition into India and Pakistan

I could make a really good India vs. Pakistan involving China, Afghanistan scenario. I was halfway thru it in Civ2 but gave up in favour of waiting for civ3. The nukes would be the accurate models

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@shivamail.com
Web: http://www.shivamail.com
[This message has been edited by Sir Shiva (edited January 14, 2001).]

Old January 14, 2001, 23:24   #25
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Is that pre 4000 BC?

He's thinking of either 1600 BC (Thebes VS Hyksos) or 670 BC (Nubia VS Assyrians),

------------------
St. Leo
http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/