Old January 14, 2001, 00:51   #1
ajli@home
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 needs more complicated military
Civ2 rocked but the military kinda sucked...more tactics--land should have more effect in the game. I don't want battles to end like they did in civ-not fight to the death, fight for like about 3 rounds rather than to death. Sea and air warefare should be improved greatly like air should have transports that can paradrop troops--some of the smaller sea units can bombard from the rivers, rivers have longdistance bombardment. Siege shoudl also be improved. I think that city walls mean that the enemy can never enter the city without destroying the walls first, with siege weapons. Infantry cannot go past locked walls for example. Pillaging would have a big effect until people found good siege units for destroying walls since it would be much more effective to starve the city into surrendering (when the city reaches 0 food it instantly surrenders, if being attacked). Spies should be able to "infiltrate" units being able to track them down and if any units attack them they get a 25% attack and defense bonus against them.
Old January 14, 2001, 00:58   #2
ajli@home
Chieftain

Also, I am kind of saying that I want warefare to "change with the times". The further times go the easier it is to invade and capture cities and the harder it is to defend your cities.
Old January 14, 2001, 01:06   #3
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

you have no idea how many times this subject has been brought up, but good idea to bring it up again.

We do know that combat will be greately inhanced in civ3, Firaxis says so in the official site.
Old January 14, 2001, 11:29   #4
young newbie forever
Settler

i for one am a warmonger 100% i would love for them to make warfare more realistic. and some people are mad that there just upgrading warfare, well i see it like this, if they upgrade war then economy will follow, and then things like city management, ect..but also you guys have to understand that warfare attracts newbies maybe behind the scenes there really upgradeing trade but saying that there upgrading warfare to attract new costumers
Old January 15, 2001, 01:46   #5
ajli@home
Chieftain

I dont' really like civ2's warefare...crank up a couple crusaders/elephants/tanks, and you've got the city owned. If they have walls, just buy a diplomat .
Old January 15, 2001, 04:39   #6
Deathwalker
Prince

Personally I like going on the War path, so a more complicatde military model would be a good thing, some time it's great just to destroy your enemeies.

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old January 15, 2001, 20:37   #7
Gord McLeod
Chieftain

Just remember, Civilization is not and has never been a war game. I'm all for enhanced military stuff, but it should not become the focus of the game.

------
Gordon S. McLeod
October's Fools http://octobersfools.keenspace.com