Old March 12, 2002, 17:23   #91
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 22:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nice sentiment Vel, but I think this forum will get a better when people start to leave. With the exception of the OT, the forums that run best, are running on a smaller population. The so sudden influx of people caused a mess of threads with no structure, and no already-in-place heirarchy of respect (sounds stupid, but helps sort out lots of things). Somehow the resulting mess split into a bi-partisan flamefest and well, mess. The whole forum needs closing for a couple of months.

The whiners will bugger off altogether, the people who actually like the game can go to CFC or go play.

€0.02
Old March 12, 2002, 17:40   #92
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Local Time: 13:34
wow...
Never saw such a DAMN STUPID idea... CLOSING the forum for a couple of months? you sick? and HIERARCHY??? it doesn't SOUND stupid, it IS INCREDIBLY STUPID!!!

Old March 12, 2002, 17:52   #93
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 21:34
Not that I mind seeing posts from those who disagree with me, cos I think I've made it clear that I don't mind that at all...but Dark Cav...having already stated that you think this thread is in the wrong place, having already stated that you find this thread boring....why are ya still reading it?? I'm genuinely curious at this point...I mean, when I stumble across something that bores me, I generally, you know...put it down.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 12, 2002, 17:52   #94
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Never saw such a DAMN STUPID idea... CLOSING the forum for a couple of months? you sick? and HIERARCHY??? it doesn't SOUND stupid, it IS INCREDIBLY STUPID!!!
...in your opinion

Not an actual hierarchy, merely a perceived one. Probably heiracrchy is a bad word, but every poster here forms an opinion on the other posters, and arranged in order of how much respect they command in your own mind, and its a heirarchy. So newbies can instantly see who is talking sense, and which poster just spouts crap all the time.

And yes, close the forum. You'll live.
Old March 12, 2002, 17:56   #95
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

DarkCavalier,

You're desperately trying to prove your DARKNESS?

In this thread?

Just isn't

FAIR
AJ
Old March 12, 2002, 17:57   #96
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

PS to Wombat: Your post makes sense to me...and I find myself agreeing with it....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 12, 2002, 18:02   #97
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
PS to Wombat: Your post makes sense to me...and I find myself agreeing with it....

-=Vel=-
Thank you oh Great One.

*bows low*

Old March 12, 2002, 18:02   #98
Velociryx
staff

Dang...I shoulda been here earlier today...lossa good posts I coulda responded to, but Arrian, JT and several others already said pretty much everything I was gonna, sooooo....

-=Vel=-
Old March 12, 2002, 18:03   #99
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

whoa....
Talk about civility, I can't even say a word disagreening with someone, and then there are like 5 ppl screaming at me.

I read this thread just to laught at all you ahem... people, and when someone's talking to me, I usually respond.

AJ, Dark means EVIL, not stupid... moron
Old March 12, 2002, 18:06   #100
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Wooaaah wait a sec there big boys!!

While I can understand the thought process to say shutting down the forums for a cooling off period has some sense. OTOH it sends a clear message that the trolls have won. Kinna like never negotiating with terrorists, ya know.

But regarding a sense of Hierarchy, IW you are correct. I look at long time posters, long time contributors, and in general jus' all around good guys as knowing of what they speak (write).

In contrast I look at others looking to spew flames 'bout as trolls to be ignored.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 12, 2002, 18:07   #101
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:34
Re: wow...
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDarkCavalier

Evil One,

That's not just disagreement. That's also insulting. I happen to agree that closing the forum isn't a good idea, but slamming someone's idea as INCREDIBLY STUPID!!! is... um... emblematic of the problems we are discussing here.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 12, 2002, 18:08   #102
Velociryx
staff

Welcome, Sir Wombat!

And Cav...nobody was screaming at you...I was merely asking the question if this place bores you so much, whatcha still doing here? In general, when I'm bored outta my gourd somewhere, I relocate, so I'm curious to know if we've either a) suddenly gotten more interesting, or b) you're just putting up with us, despite the pain it's causing you?

-=Vel=-
Old March 12, 2002, 18:08   #103
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

closing the forums...
I DARE anyone of you to go and suggest closing the forums or putting an hierarchy to Ming...
Old March 12, 2002, 18:12   #104
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDarkCavalier
Talk about civility, I can't even say a word disagreening with someone, and then there are like 5 ppl screaming at me.

I read this thread just to laught at all you ahem... people, and when someone's talking to me, I usually respond.

AJ, Dark means EVIL, not stupid... moron
If one reads your name and your last words I suppose everything would be mentioned about your fabulous personality ...

Ever read a book?
You'd know several words can be applied to various contexts.

Ever thruly read something at all?
You' d notice me to be a non native speaker/writer.

Though your words are easily understood ...

especially by what I referred to in the first place.

PS:
Not interested in your replies, don' bother!

Last edited by AJ Corp. The FAIR; March 12, 2002 at 18:17.
Old March 12, 2002, 18:15   #105
Velociryx
staff

Cav - Given that Ming reads and posts in this thread, I'm quite sure he'll see both. Given that this forum assigns titles based on post count, at least some acknowledgement is given to the notion of heirarchy.

-=Vel=-
PS: Interesting how the one person who did a little name calling on this thread ("stupid idea - Moron") was the first person to cry foul for people "screaming at him" That intrugues me.

-V.
Old March 12, 2002, 18:16   #106
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

to AJ, you don't bother so.. U R SO FREEKING G.AY!!!!!! by looking at YOUR idiotic name, no one would ever want to talk to YOU, go read your book, you b!tch, I'm off to play Civ III...

P.S. Sorry everyone, but I just had to.
Old March 12, 2002, 18:18   #107
Velociryx
staff

Ahem....I stand by my post made just before Cav's last one....

::sigh:

-=Vel=-
Old March 12, 2002, 18:18   #108
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:34
*sigh*

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 12, 2002, 18:21   #109
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Callign a tpuid idea, a stupid idea and a moron a moron is one thing, but starting a 5sv1 fight is another...
Old March 12, 2002, 18:22   #110
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I'll say no more and move onto active ignoring. By the by it appears to be the only means to deal with my 18 month old daughters tantrums.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 12, 2002, 18:23   #111
Velociryx
staff

::nodding:: Agreed...I've never yet used the ignore feature, but this seems a fitting time to give it a try....

-=Vel=-
Old March 12, 2002, 18:24   #112
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

U'll ignore me?? Why, thank you...
Old March 12, 2002, 18:36   #113
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 16:34
Maybe TDC just misread the title of the thread. Maybe he read it as "No room for cavalierity" and felt threatened.
Old March 12, 2002, 18:40   #114
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Nope... it's not that... but keep guessing.
Old March 12, 2002, 18:45   #115
Velociryx
staff

You know, after having a look at the spelling in some of those posts before the "ignore" was activated....that could very well be. Could very well be....

-=Vel=-
(who normally doesn't like to pick on people for such things, but decided to make a small exception to mark the occassion)
Old March 12, 2002, 18:51   #116
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Even if he doesn't see it....

TYPOS and SPELLING ERRORS rae different things!

Go read a book.....
Old March 12, 2002, 19:00   #117
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Vel, don't waste your time on this one. Certainly, I've seen my share of posters who talk down to others because of a misunderstanding (i.e., me), and I know it's always nice to set those things straight, but some just have to be dropped. Y'know, the whole "bad apple" thing.

Btw, how do you use ignore?
Old March 12, 2002, 19:05   #118
Velociryx
staff

Hiya Cyclotron! Long time no see! I completely agree with you, and am QUITE enjoying this previously unused feature. And, to access it, click to view the profile information of the user in question....at the bottom of the profile info, you'll see a link to add a the current user you're viewing to your ignore list...pretty slick....(and in this case, recommended!)

-=Vel=-
Old March 12, 2002, 19:10   #119
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Hey, that does wonders!

Yeah, since civ3 came out I've been lurking... nothin' to debate about no more! Besides, the game is still sitting on my desk uninstalled because I'm waiting for my new computer... so I don't know what y'all are talking about anyway.
Old March 12, 2002, 19:18   #120
DATarbell

For the most part, I have avoided the Apolyton Civ3 forums for months now--entirely due to the excessive amount of "incivility" (is that the right word?) and a seeming lack of tolerance.

I'm glad, and not surprised, to see a discussion calling for the need for greater civility.

Unfortunately, I'm also not surprised by the continued ugliness that keeps raising its ugly head in these forums.

I suppose the good news is that there seems to be a far greater level of civility, on the whole, in the Help threads, than here in the General threads. So it is still fairly safe to post a message requesting assistance and not get handed my head. (Or see somebody else being handed theirs.)