View Poll Results: How often do you use the Group Movement and Sentry Commands?
I use both the sentry command and the stacked movement command many times in each game I play 7 14.89%
I use the sentry command many times in each game I play and I occasionally use the stacked movement command 3 6.38%
I use the sentry command many times in each game I play and I never use the stacked movement command 1 2.13%
I use the stacked movement command many times in each game I play and I occasionally use the sentry command 10 21.28%
I use the stacked movement command many times in each game I play and I never use the sentry command 11 23.40%
I use both the sentry command and the stacked movement command a few times in each game I play 2 4.26%
I use the sentry command a few times in each game I play and I never use the stacked movement command 1 2.13%
I use the stacked movement command a few times in each game I play and I never use the sentry command 3 6.38%
Out of a few games I will use both the sentry command and the stacked movement command at least once 0 0%
Out of a few games I will use the sentry command at least once but never the stacked movement command 0 0%
Out of a few games I will use the stacked movement command at least once but never the sentry command 0 0%
I use 1.17f but I never use either the sentry command or the stacked movement command 3 6.38%
I did not realize that Firaxis had added the commands to 1.17f 2 4.26%
I do not use 1.17f 4 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 12, 2002, 17:09   #1
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 16:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How often do you use the Group Movement and Sentry Commands?
The two commands are new in 1.17f and i was wondering how often people used them. Here are the commands in question.

Sentry command: y = wake whenever next to friendly or enemy unit(s) / shift+y = wake whenever next to enemy unit(s).

Stack Movement: Hitting 'j' will produce the goto cursor. Once you select a destination, every unit of the active unit's type in that square will move to the specified location. Air units of the same type will attempt to rebase.
Old March 12, 2002, 17:47   #2
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 23:37
Stacked movment always (worker, workers...), sentry never.
Old March 12, 2002, 17:51   #3
korn469
Emperor

i don't use either, but it is mostly because i don't really find myself in situations where they would be useful
Old March 12, 2002, 17:53   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 23:37
Where is the: "I've haven't played the game long enough to get as many units to make the commands usefule since 1.17f due to massive school work, and will not have time to play for another three weeks" option?
Old March 12, 2002, 17:57   #5
lokifalling
Settler

The sentry command has saved Civ3 for me. I use it all the time for units guarding my frontiers.
Old March 12, 2002, 17:57   #6
korn469
Emperor

damn! i knew i forgot something
Old March 12, 2002, 18:03   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:37
Stack movement yes, sentry no., though I really should sentry the line of destoyers I use as "eyes" off my coast. I forget the command is there, though, and just end up fortifying them.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 12, 2002, 22:41   #8
simwiz2
Warlord

stack move is really helpful in moving around those stacks of 30 artillery and 20 infantry in the mid industrial age.

sentry is useful in fortifying artillery, i used to have to reload because i would hit end turn and then remember i forgot to activate my artillery and bombard that stack

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old March 13, 2002, 01:31   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:37
Stacks all the time, as soon as I have 2 units of a type moving around together. Have to be a little careful not to get things scr*wed up though when two *stacks* end the turn in the same square and both require new orders the next turn (rare).

Seldom use Sentry. Fortify is more useful on ac**** of the defense bonus. I think I'll remember when I see an AI landing on my coast, so I don't need units waking up to prompt me. Although, I will say that AI turns run in about 2 minutes tops on my system. Even in the late game, so I can stay awake to pay attention. If I had a slower comp, I'd use Sentry much more so that I could shovel the snow while the AI moved (or so I've heard).

Salve

Last edited by notyoueither; March 13, 2002 at 02:45.
Old March 13, 2002, 01:33   #10
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

what, no i use it every time i want to unload units from an army option?
Old March 13, 2002, 02:16   #11
Dienstag
Warlord

Local Time: 21:37
Stack movement = yes.
Sentry Command = every time I felt the need to, I couldn't remember which key they made it. The 'y' key, you say? ....must remember...'y'....'y'.....'y'....ok, better now!
Old March 13, 2002, 02:39   #12
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 05:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I never use the sentry command. I just never think about it.

The group movement command is a godsend, particularly for moving workers around to clean up pollution and for moving artillery.
Old March 13, 2002, 04:56   #13
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 22:37
Stacked movement often, sentry not (yet). Every game I start, I think it's time to use this command, but when the time has come, I forget about it and fortify the units. This may be, because I prefer to control the units by mouse and there's no sentry button. Same, btw, with stacked movement, but the increasing annoyance when moving many units reminds me, that there is a solution.
Old March 13, 2002, 19:36   #14
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 14:37
Haven't got used to the stack movement yet, so not quite comfortable with it.

The sentry options are great. I like them better than fortify because when I put units on sentry, I can forget about them until they are suddenly in the active queue. Then I know the AI has made some movement near my borders or important line and I need to review to see if I am prepared for their action. Sometimes it is just a worker, and I put back on sentry. Othertimes it is one turn advance warning "here comes the horde". Like the idea of less micromanagement.

Just wish stack was a button so I would remember to use it more. I have a hard time remembering the stack command and it is easier to move separate pieces than to find
the notes. Let's see, stack, 'S' right?, no,
caravan, 'c' right?, no. group, 'g' right?, no.
oh phooey, dumb game engineers, back to moving one piece at a time.
Old March 13, 2002, 19:53   #15
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm the opposite to Planetfall: I can never remember the sentry command, but use the stack command fairly often.