Old March 13, 2002, 02:20   #1
THE INFAMOUS X
Settler

Local Time: 21:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A Couple Of Ideas For CIV4
One thing I'd like to see in Civ4 is the ability to chose either a male or a female leader like in Civ2. This would be a little more customization for the player but it would mean alot since alot of people don't want to have to play the game as Catherine the Great and the rest of the women, and vice versa for girls playing the game.

Another thing I'd like to see in Civ4 is a type of diplomatic agreement that would be the equivalent of nuclear arms talks. For instance, suppose you and another civ have a buildup of ICBM's and you're nervous about having your cities nuked, with this feature you could make an agreement with the other civ to each automatically disband an ICBM on every turn. So you can come to the agreement that 10 ICBM's will be disbanded, then on every turn each civ will have the ICBM of their choice disbanded until the number in the agreement is met. I think this would be a nice addition because it would add another twist of strategy to an already excellent game.

What do you guys think?
Old March 13, 2002, 09:24   #2
Mikel
Warlord

Local Time: 22:40
Good ideas.

I don't see why we shouldn't expect features such as these to be included in some expansion packs in the future. Civ III : Cold War or something like that which could include these new diplomatic options, modern units for some of the major players in the 20th Century, maybe a reworked espionage system, and a specific scenario that makes good use of all of these features. I'm sure Infogrames want to get their moneys worth after buying every possible copyright to Civilization so we should expect a few add-on packs. Why wait for Civ IV ?
Troll "Thats the thing with randomness, you can never be sure."
Old March 13, 2002, 09:30   #3
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 17:40
I have an original copy of Civ3, are there any patches I should download?
Old March 13, 2002, 09:56   #4
Rotten999
Warlord

Local Time: 15:40
Yeah, girls are yucky.

Seriously, multiple leader choices would have been nice, but there are mods for that. Check out the "Files" forum.

It's hard to treat nuclear weapons as a fun game element when the wet-brains in my country are talking about tossing them around again.

As for patches, all of them are good. You don't want those typos to stay in the civilopedia, do you? I'd look at the changes the patches make on civ3.com and decide from that. I play with the newest version because I consider it "official."
Old March 13, 2002, 09:59   #5
Caligastia
Emperor

Well I am just getting started with civ3 (Im on my first game), so I guess now would be a good time to install the patches because I wouldnt notice the differences as much. I will get used to the patched version as I play, not the original.
Old March 13, 2002, 12:08   #6
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 22:40
Let's get Civ3 right first.

Firaxian patches will work out fine?

They CAN make a change.

I sure hope they WILL.

We'd love it!

Kind regards,
AJ
Old March 13, 2002, 19:41   #7
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 08:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Some things I would like to see in CIV4:

1: A Hex map instead of the isometric map we have now. This will enhance the game greatly.

2: The elimination of the "free" tile in cities. For example, a size 1 city would work only one tile instead of two. This way, ICS gets killed off once and for all.

To make this work, the whole terrain system will need to be reworked.

3: Distance from capital affecting corruption less. Instead, have a happiness penalty. This will affect citizen productivity in much the same way as corruption, because distant cities will have extra unhappy citizens. Modern-era techs will reduce this source of unhappiness. Also, waste should be less devastating.
Old March 13, 2002, 19:57   #8
THE INFAMOUS X
Settler

Local Time: 21:40
I don't think the corruption increase in distance from the capital is necessarily a bad thing because it is realistic, but what I do think they should change in the future is the ability to make regional capitals that would decrease the corruption around them to a lesser extent. I mean most nations have smaller regions or states within them that have their own capitals, so why not have it in the game. My example of how this should work is to have something along the lines of the forbidden palace but with the ability to be made more than once. So for every 10 cities, let's say, you get the ability to make this new regional capital in whatever city you choose. I think this would give the game a nice addition of strategy as well as realism and a better cure for corruption than just decreasing it in the editor.
Old March 13, 2002, 20:52   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

In response to star mouse:

1: Changing it into a hex map would require a complete restructuring of the game mechanics. Not likely. Also, it just doesn't have the "Sid" feeling to it.

2: ICS IS dead, at least in the sense that it provides no "workaround" benefit that uses the game mechanics to get essentially a free pop point. Obviously, it can still be used, just not in a way that toes the line between smart gameplay and cheating. By making settlers require two pop points, they fixed this because one of those is now working the city square, even if it's not represented in the number on the city.
Old March 14, 2002, 01:07   #10
star mouse
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Changing it into a hex map would require a complete restructuring of the game mechanics. Not likely. Also, it just doesn't have the "Sid" feeling to it.
The grid structure was changed from a square grid in CIV1 to an isometric grid for CIV2. Suggesting that isometric will be used for all future versions is a rather bold and unfounded assumption.

The isometric grid already goes most of the way towards a hexagonal game grid. Replace the diamonds with hexagons and there's a hex grid.

Game mechanics that will change:
* The city radius will change from a 21-square "fat X" to a 19-hex hexagon. Some people wouldn't notice the difference.

* Movement between grid elements will be slightly modified for a hexagonal grid. About the only difference is that movement between hexes would have six possible directions instead of eight.

* The bombard and bombing radii would change from a square to a more intuitive hexagon. Why is the "fat X" not a square when the bombard and bombing radii are squares?

I'm not at all sure what game mechanics require such a "complete restructuring" that conversion to a hexagonal grid is out of the question. Can you elaborate?
Old March 14, 2002, 01:17   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 14:40
you should be able to have a round of golf while you are building your empire...
Old March 14, 2002, 01:19   #12
star mouse
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
you should be able to have a round of golf while you are building your empire...
Yeah! Bundle SimGolf with every copy of CIV4! Woohoo!